Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Poncho

Becks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful poncho and a great cause! With a rising number of kids today somewhere on the autistic spectrum, we really need to increase people's awareness and understanding of these special children!

Ooh, that is fantastic! I'd love to do that, I'm just not sure I can figure it out, I've never done much Tunesian. But it looks great!

Absolutely awesome!! I'm going to try my hand at this....

We have an almost 10 yr old son with Asperger's and we're going to be walking in the Walk Now for Autism in October....plenty of time to get one done!!

Thank you for sharing!!!!

I've also made a scarf now too. (Click on the photos to enlarge them).

th_DSC00002-25.jpgth_DSC00001-28.jpg

It uses the same graph but you only make it 4 puzzle pieces wide instead of the five in the graph. (That way you can join the sides in back and the puzzle pieces match up). I made this scarf 16 puzzle pieces long but you can make it as long as you like of course).

th_DSC00006-21.jpgth_DSC00003-26.jpg

The first shot is the front and the over-exposed second shot is the back. Can you tell where the seam is on the back? It runs down the middle. This way all the weaving in of loose ends - and there are a lot of them- is all inside the scarf and no one will ever see it. Plus it makes the scarf nice and thick.

I used all cotton Lily Sugar and Creme yarn. It's pretty bulky.

And a size J cabled afghan hook.

This might be a lot easier to do than the two panels for the poncho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Becks - love your scarf!

I made a knit blanket inspired by your poncho, it's here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1446929#post1446929

I just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. I'll give the blanket to someone I know, and I think he'll like it. Thank you! :hug

Cuddlefish!

I'm trying to access that link but it doesn't let me.

It shows a page that says this:

"Becks, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Do you have the afghan posted at another link?

I want to see it so bad!!! Waaahhhh!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

alwayscrafting, I posted a graph pattern of the puzzle motif on the 34th post of this thread here. (Just scroll down to the 34th post).

Also, here's the link to it in my blog as well as the puzzle scarf I made using the same graph here.

I hope the graph is enough for you. There really isn't a pattern other than the graph. The scarf is 16 puzzle pieces long, (you can make that longer too if you like), by 4 puzzle pieces wide. (You fold it and join in back so it looks like two puzzle pieces wide). The poncho is two panels which are ten puzzle pieces long by five puzzle pieces wide. You join the panels each to the side of the other panel.

• 3 years later...

Archived