Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Poncho

Becks

Yesterday I got my son to take some pictures of me in my latest project.

(Please click on the photos to enlarge them).

th_DSC00008-18.jpg

I'm calling it the Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Poncho and it's a great project to use up all that left-over yarn you have stashed away from other projects.

th_DSC00001-23.jpgth_DSC00007-20.jpg

In these pictures I put my hands on my hips to spread it out so you can really see the whole design.

It is crocheted in tunisian afghan stitch using a size J cabled afghan hook.

There are two panels.

I graphed out a simple puzzle piece pattern and just repeated it throughout. The popular symbol for Autism is a puzzle piece or puzzle pieces; (usually having each piece a different color).

After the two panels were done, I connected them by joining the end of one panel to the side of the other, Then joining that panel's end to the side of the first panel.

For trim I used Moda Dea's Chichi yarn in combination with a Fun Fur yarn.

This stops any curling that might happen and also brought up the poncho more around the neck to fit nice and snuggly.

Hope you all enjoy it. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is wonderful, beautiful, great, terrific. I have a son with Asperger Snydrome, which is high functioning autistic. If you want to share the pattern please let me know. I need directions to make something :lol. Can't read charts either. Anyway, wouldn't an afghan be really cool. You did a really great job.:clap:clap:clap:clap

Wow! That is fantastic! :cheer Even though you said you repeated a simple puzzle piece it doesn't look anything like easy. Of course I don't do puzzles, but still.

You did a GREAT job on this!:yes

Thank you for sharing!!:clap

Debbi

From a mom of an Aspie, thanks for raising awareness! Great work! We need all the awareness we can get! :cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

Colleen

What a great job, great colors and a great way to bring about Awareness. I agree that an afghan chart would be great in that pattern, but the poncho takes the awareness everywhere you go!

:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

That's awesome! I'd love the puzzle piece pattern if you're able to share it. My nephew is autistic and we have the autism speaks puzzle pieces around our house, on our cars, etc...

slightly off the crochet topic but on the autism topic:

How do you(those with children with autism) feel about a bumper sticker that says "Autistic Children ROCK" ?

slightly off the crochet topic but on the autism topic:

How do you(those with children with autism) feel about a bumper sticker that says "Autistic Children ROCK" ?

I actually don't like the word 'autistic', I am a Education Assistant and work with a 9 year old that has autism. Maybe the bumper sticker should read "Children with Autism Rock".

Just a suggestion :scrachin.

Archived