Arthritis and crochet

Hey girls (and guys)!

I've just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It had been getting really hard to crochet, I actually had to put my current project aside for awhile, but since I found out and started on medicine I have been doing a little better. I've been forced to slow way down, and can only work on something for a limited time before I need a break.

The doctor said that my crochet is a really good hobby for me to keep doing, as it can help me keep my joints mobile. I'm just 37, and I'm worried I won't be able to do nearly as much crafting in the future.

My question is for any of you who may have similar problems: what are your ways to cope? And, are there any mature ladies here who have lived with this for awhile who can share what I might expect in the future?

Bless your heart. I know that must be tough news for you. I have tendonitis and I find if I don't crochet, then my wrists will stiffen up and be painful, so it is good therapy for me. I'm sure this is nowhere near as tough as what you must be going through. Hang in there.

Hi! I was diagnosed with rheumatoid at age 25 and am 40 now. So even tho I don't think I'm "older" I have been living with it for a while now! Even when my arthritis was bad I still crocheted. I found that pineapples made my thumb swell though. You'll have to see what works for you. I found that keeping my hands moving actually helped avoid stiffness. It's definitely possible to keep crocheting. :cheer

Now I am on Enbrel (I highly, highly recommend it for anyone who can take it!!) and don't have a lot of symptoms. I do wear just a wal-mart wrist brace at night and that seems to help. Good luck and don't give up!:yay

Thanks so much for the replies ladies!

crochetmom2, my mom has terrible tendonitis, so I know something of what you are suffering. She has had to take some pretty serious pain meds at times, just to sleep. You won't like this, but she swears by hand-washing lots of dishes in very hot water, for temporary relief! :lol:

Twinsmom, thanks for the reply! If you are comfortable doing so, will you share what your condition was like when you first were diagnosed, what were your main problem areas, etc? Along with the stiffness and pain, I suffer from fatigue like you would not believe, and weakness in my hands to where I drop things (even worse, I drop things at work - I'm a pediatric RN and that is really distressing, to be dropping and fumbling). Had any of that been a problem for you, before starting Enbrel therapy?

I'm just starting out on Methotrexate, but my doctor mentioned possible Enbrel injections in the future once we see how I'm going to respond. I have heard that for some people it is like a miracle drug. Had you ever been on the Methotrexate?

The wrist brace idea is very interesting...does it give any support where your phalanges (fingers) attach to your metacarpals (hand bones)? That is one of my main problem areas, I can see where occasional support there would be very helpful.

I just feel so...meh. Can't believe it's happening to me! I don't want to give up my career, my hobby or anything else.

Yes, the Enbrel has been like a miracle drug for me! Yay Enbrel! :cheer I started off with lots of pain and swelling in my fingers, hands, knees and feet. Yes, weakness and almost dropping things was a problem which was very distressing with infant twins! That problem is much better or almost gone now. I still have almost no upper body strength due to wrist damage from before the enbrel. So I can't swing from the monkey bars or do gymnastics like I used to . . . but hey, I'm 40. Could I really do those things forever anyway? I can jump on the trampoline, ride bikes, etc. with my kids.

Anti-inflammatory drugs helped a little. I can't remember if methotrexate helped much. All I know is I got my life back when I started Enbrel. Jump through whatever hoops you have to for your insurance to cover it and get on it (or a similar med) if at all possible.:yay

My Grandmother, God rest her soul, had RA. She crocheted with a G hook and smaller. She kept her hands going to as long as she could. By the time she was in her early 80's she couldn't hold a hook anymore. I got her an N hook. She looked at it and said "And what am I supposed to do with this?!?"

From the time she was 42 when she was diagnosed with arthritis (it runs in our family). It turned into RA in her 50's and she was determined to crochet thru the pain to keep her joints moving but she couldn't work with thread anymore. I remember she had cut her output in half by then. In her 60's she was down to small stuff.

I'm sorry for the trip down memory lane. I miss her so much! My point in all this is that if the will is there - you can do it far a long time. Just pick projects that you are capable of doing and the dissapointment will be lessened.

I'll add you to my prayers that God will let yours hands hold out.

I forgot to add that she did all of this with nothing more than Tylenol.

Thanks for all the positive 'grandma' stories! Determined ladies.

I'm thinking I will put down my big one piece afghans and lapghans for the time being, and start doing granny squares. At least I can feel I've accomplished something that way, even if I can only do one square before I have to quit. I usually work with I hooks and light worsted weight yarn, maybe I will try out a bigger hook and yarn and see if it is easier to grip.

Twinsmom, thanks so much for sharing - I'm hopeful now that I know more about the Enbrel. The pain is really the least of it, the swelling, stiffness and weakness are doing me in. Frustrating! Like you, I also already have damage that can't be undone, but the Enbrel sounds like it might give me my life back. I'm going to talk to the doctor about trying it out sooner rather than later. So far the Methotrexate hasn't done much, but I've only been on it two weeks. Hopefully my insurance company won't be a rat about it.

Oh yeah, swelling and stiffness. I forgot about those! My fingers/hands used to swell so bad you can see it in my twins baby pictures. I used to wake up so stiff. Now I wake up with little or no stiffness. I don't get all stiff after sitting a while or react horribly with the weather. I guess I forget all those things now that I feel so much better. Yes, the enbrel helps with those things and even fatigue too.

Good luck!

Hi,

I was diagnosed with RA this past January. I am on Methotrexate, paquinel, and predinsone. I have good days and bad. I find using the clover hooks or the lighted ones work wonders.

The more you use your joints the better in the long run you will feel.

Check this message board out. They really have helped me with understanding what I am feeling and how to deal with RA.

http://www.arthritisinsight.com/forum/default.asp

My grandma crocheted into her nineties with RA. That was back before all the modern drugs. She said it kept her hands moving.

My grandma did that too. She would pop a couple aspirin and then crochet for a while, to get the pain out, she would say.

She crocheted every day to keep the Arthritis away.

:manyheart

I've had osteoarthritis for years and more recently, rheumatoid arthritis. It's a real pain!! I tried acupuncture, which helped, and use splints a lot. It's very frustrating not being able to do what you want, especially now there is such a resurgence of crochet and so many beautiful patterns. I'm on plaquinel, which is just starting to work but find only crocheting in small amounts at a time is probably the best way to minimize the pain.

Larger hooks, thicker yarn and smaller garments/items make it easier, too. Good luck! Zaraliz

I have osteoarthritis and there are some days I can't crochet more than a half hour if that long. There is one thing that I have found that really helps. I have cushions I got from Herrschners that I put on my hooks, which makes them fatter and soft. If I crochet without them my wrist and palm hurt after about 10 minutes and I have to stop. Here's the link and they are the crochet cushions.

http://herrschners.com/depts/id-2378.html

My very good friend who is in her late 30s has RH. She is medicated, and it took a while to find what worked for her....however, she is a dental hygienist. For a while, she wasn't able to work with her hands until they found the diagnosis and got her meds correct. Now, the "hand exercise" is actually good for the RH and helps to work out the stiffness. You may find that once your meds are figured out you'll have some bad days but lots of good ones and you'll be able to do the things with your hands that you want to/need to to...including crafts. Good luck to you.

I do not have arthritis but i do have carpal tunnel syndrome that is not "bad enough" for surgery. A swap partner sent me these hooks and even though I have only had them for a few days i have noticed an improvement. They might be something to look into.Good luck and crochet as much as you can and be comfortable.

My mother had Rheumatoid and the only thing that helped her significantly was having gold treatments. She never stopped crocheting and knitting.

My aunt has had RA forever. I can't remember when her fingers didn't have the knots on the joints. She has knitted and crocheted her whole life and still does and she's now 84. I can't tell you what medication she takes, I'm sure something, but I don't know the name of it. Good luck with your meds and keep crocheting.

I have plain old arthritis too, but I take Aleve and it helps. I do find that I have to stop every so often, my fingers and the base of my thumb start to hurt. But I won't give up. My husband makes domino sets out of wood, and sometimes his hands get stiff from making the little dots... he has to stop for awhile. It's a PAIN to get old!!

• 2 years later...
I don't have RA, but I do have arthritis in my hands. BenGay or any sports cream really helps me.

When you use Bengay , can you taste it in your mouth ? I rub it on my thumb so I can crochet , but i can always taste it , hard to crochet with stiff ,painful thumb ..

I find that TheraGloves (not the same as HandEze; different design) help in supporting my hands when I'm having a difficult "hand day." If they'd been around in the early '90s, I might not have had to leave the field of crochet from then until 2008.

There are also ergonomic "eggs" that you can put on regular hooks for an easier grip. Can't remember where I saw them online, but someone else will surely have a link! Some hooks come pre-made with easy-grip handles, and some crocheters find that bamboo hooks are easier to hold onto than metal ones. (Personally, I'd look for the add-on egg for smaller hooks.)

There are some self-massage techniques a physical therapist can show you to help mobilize excess fluid away from your hands and arms when excess swelling shows up, too. The doctor may tell you that these techniques either don't work or don't exist, but as a veteran of several years' standing in mobilizing excess fluid out of my LEGS thanks to a physical therapist who showed me how to do it, I can tell you it helps a lot.

Best wishes.

DCM

I have Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist and tendonitis in the right one. I also have arthritis in both. My doctor recommended adding some extra B6 to my diet and I find that works wonders. Of course, my crocheting keeps my wrists limber and keeps the pain to a minimum. I may have to stop every now and again to massage my hand and wrist but I think it's worth it to watch the patterns come together.

If you can do basic machine sewing, make yourself a small microwave hot sack that will fit from your thumb across your fingers. I fill mine with rice. I make channels in the sack & add the rice with a funnel to each channel, then stitch the top closed. Another thing that helps me is using a hook with a thicker handle. I like ones that have polymer clay around them but there are ergonomic hooks too. I can't do any thread crochet anymore unless I'm willing to only work on it for 20 minutes or less every few days. Two stranded projects are the same as well. Most importantly, keep it moving. I hope you find a combo that works for you.

Hi Lyndamic, I feel like Im in the same boat as you! I too am 37 and was diagnosed with psoriatic Arthropathy (the arthritis linked to the skin condition psoriasis) at the age of 30. It starts in your toes/fingers and then works it way inward. I take methatrexate, sulfasalazine, and hydroxychloroquine! I do as much crochet as I can then put it aside until I feel I can do some more I just dont force it. Im determined Im not giving up crochet ever, I dont see why I should lol! I just do things at my own pace. I hope you can continue with your crocheting and find a way to do it without aggravating your pain.

Hi - I have carpal tunnel syndrome; have been crocheting since 1970. I really enjoy it especially since I now have a goal (caps & toys). Because of CST all my pens & pencils are ergonomic; had to find something to do for crochet hooks. I put STETROs (they're actually for children to learn correct pen holding -at Amazon.com) on a couple of hooks. Petsmart has boneball (spelling?) - )---( I cut the ( ) off, which left a tube which I cut into thirds & put them over the hooks. The ) ( make great bottle-openers! Rubberbands also work great for anti-slipping/cushioning. Hope this helps!

Archived