Starching

CrochetCynde

I'm trying to make a 3-d thread piece really stiff and I'm having difficulties. I bought some spray from Michael's and I'm not satisfied with the results... thoughts?

Maybe this thread will be of use to you.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41988&highlight=starch

I don't starch much, but from what I've gleaned from those who do, the kind you make yourself is stiffer than the sprays.

If you can't find the kind that used to come in a box at the grocery store, it is often to be found at old-fashioned hardware stores.

Maybe some of the experts here will post soon.

You can use food-grade starch (corn starch, for example). Boil some water, and add a tbsp or two per cup. You end up with a really thick, gluey mess, but soak your work in it, and shape and block. When it dries, it will be HARD.

In a pinch, I've used straight white school glue. It's slimy and gooey feeling on the hands while working with it, but it dries clear and hard. (And it washes off your hands just fine :P)

I found liquid starch (not spray) still wasn't hard enough for 3D...ok for bookmarks though.

HTH

I make alot of angels and snowflakes and use a sugar/water mixture in equal parts, heated until the sugar melts, I have also used cornstarch and water to stiffen them.

The cornstarch and water mixture comes out a little bit stiffer than the sugar/water mixture but has a tendency to leave bits of clear residue on the open mesh areas. This can easily be brushed off after the piece dries using a soft toothbrush.

I prefer the sugar/water method because there is no residue left after your piece dries. It's to hard to get the cornstarch residue off the small areas of things like angels.

Hope this helps,

Toni Horvath

I like epsom salts myself. Here is a link to various stiffners and how to use them.

http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet8.php

This was a great place to see other methods. I'm going to experiment with these and others listed in the post!!

Thanks to All!

Cynde

What would someone use to starch something that would be turned into earrings, like snowflakes, that could possibly get wet? Is there a starch that's waterproof?

Joyce

Archived