Finding testers: Questions for: Testers/ Sellers/ Designers/ Buyers/ of patterns!

Crochet Garden

Question

Hi everyone...

I have no idea if this is even in the right forum... but here it goes.. I am sure a mod can move my post elsewhere if this is the wrong place..

For all those of you who design.. how do you find testers for your items? When you find a tester- what is it you have them look for? Do you always use the same testers? If you plan to sell a pattern what are the most important things you ask the testers to look for?

DESIGNERS:

My questions are because I have recently began writing down my patterns and such and have a few free ones posted. Anyway I have been on a designing frenzy.. and I had a tester for one of my patterns and she was phenomenal... I know she makes things for her daughter and other things and would hate to "tie her down" with another pattern to test so I am wondering if there is a standard or general way of getting your patterns up to par. Any hints or tips from you designers of what you do to get a pattern in tip top shape? How do you choose a tester? What do you look for in a tester? Am i taking this way too seriously?? lol

BUYERS:

I would hate for someone to purchase something, then be totally disastisfied. You as a buyer.. what do you look for when purchasing an original pattern from someone? What do you value and what would completely turn you off? Have you ever bought a pattern and it turned out to be a regret? If so why?

Thank you much everyone in advance... I hope this turns out to be an informative thread not only for myself but others too!

6 answers to this question

I'm currently making your cute ruffly baby hat that I found at about.com. If you need a pattern tester, I'm here! A few people post to ask if anyone wants to pattern test. I've never designed, but I think the goal is to just get several random people to try it out and see how easily it went and wether it turned out like YOU planned.

I have bought individual patterns online and I haven't been disappointed, yet. But I also haven't found many patterns, even in books, that I follow exactly because I don't like the turning, joining, edging, length, etc. I'm pretty picky about some stuff. (If I ever pattern tested, however, I'd stick to the script!)

:cheer

Welcome to the group

You can post in the original patterns section and just request testers needed for pattern. You will receive alot of help on here as everyone is very nice and helpful.

I would also be happy to test some patterns for you if needed.

I agree with the others...you'll find plenty of people to test patterns for you in the Original Patterns section!

As for buying patterns... I would be completely satisfied with buying a pattern if 1. I liked the item (of course) 2. I knew the pattern was tested 3. the pattern was well-written and 4. if it included good pictures

I hope this helps. :)

If something has different sizes... does someone normally test out every size?

Along with that sunhat you all been working on.. I made a Tee and am working on shorts to match.. I also redid the sunhat where there are different sizes available... same with the shorts and the Tee.

I think the general post requesting testers brings in plenty of volunteers. I've never tested for anyone (I'm not fast yet :) and I'd hate to hold anyone up) but if I were going to I think I'd like to know beforehand how you'd rate the pattern on difficulty. And actually it might be a good idea for you to request testers from all skill levels.

I also agree that you should present a photo with the pattern. I won't try anything I can't see beforehand. I have no imagination and it's hard for me to guess what my end result will be. And if I worked up half a sweater only to decide it's not turning out the way I pictured I'd be frustrated.

And something I really like to see when following a pattern is a stitch count at the end of each row. It helps me to know if I'm on track.

Archived