How to display filet pieces

crochetstepmom

My 90 year old mother-in-law died last week. When we were cleaning out her room, we found several crochet pieces that we believe DH's grandmother made. A few years ago, MIL gave me some linens that her mother and grandmother had edged with crochet and gave to her as wedding gifts. There were several more pieces similar to those in her room, although I don't think that they were wedding gifts (she would have marked them as such.)

Anyway, there were three beautiful filet rectangles made with images of roses on them. My husband believes that his grandmother made them.

They are all three different sizes... one is just under 5x12 another is just over 5x12 and the largest one is 8x15. I've been trying to think of a nice way to display them. I don't do thread crochet, but I did inherit some steel hooks from my grandmother. The only things that I can think of would be to frame them, or sew them together and try to crochet a trim on them for a wall hanging, or to make pillows out of them.

Since I have never done those types of projects, I am unsure what to do with them.

When my stepson gets back home in a couple of hours, I will get him to take pictures of them so that I can post them. His camera is a lot better than mine...but I am not going in the teenager's room...that's just not safe!:eek

This is what I did with a piece that was made by my grandmother. I also had a few of her hooks and a picture of her crocheting. I got a large shadow box and created a piece I will have to treasue forever. I took the picture of her crocheting and put it in the bottom right corner, centered the filet piece, put the small doily in the top left corner and sort of angled the hooks in the other two corners. It now hangs in my craft room as insperation and homage to my grandmother. I tried to take a picture of it but it will not photograph well. I think it is the glare off the glass.

I also made my mother a filet piece for mothers day and framed it for her to hang on the wall.

My best (and admittedly biased) advice, it take it to your local picture framer. If they have their CPF, they've taken classes in how to care for things like this. Archival framing techniques have to be 100% reversable and protect the work for at least 100 years.

If you do it yourself, be sure to use acid-free materials and never let the glass rest on the work. This will trap moisture on the work and destroy it.

(The reason I say my advice is biased is because my parents own a framing gallery and have their CPF... Michael's and JoAnn's have framing departments, but make sure to ask lots of questions. They're also often not any cheeper than an independant store if you don't have a cupon...)

My best (and admittedly biased) advice, it take it to your local picture framer. If they have their CPF, they've taken classes in how to care for things like this. Archival framing techniques have to be 100% reversable and protect the work for at least 100 years.

If you do it yourself, be sure to use acid-free materials and never let the glass rest on the work. This will trap moisture on the work and destroy it.

(The reason I say my advice is biased is because my parents own a framing gallery and have their CPF... Michael's and JoAnn's have framing departments, but make sure to ask lots of questions. They're also often not any cheeper than an independant store if you don't have a cupon...)

I agree with Addey- have them framed! Archival techniques have much improved and would be a sure way for the filet to stay in pristine condition.

We have a lovely section of filet crochet done by one of my husband's relatives which is matted and framed in the colors we use in our house. It is on our buffet all the time and fits beautifully with our decor. This was a bedspread or tablecloth which had seriously deteriorated but sections were still good so my MIL had good parts framed for her daughters and daughters-in-law. It's a wonderful bit of family history to display.

Archived