Teaching Young Girls Crochet

Ok friends,

I have volunteered my services for a summer program teaching young girls how to crochet. I have never done this before so for those of you who have gone before me I have some questions:

1. Is there a hook size that would be the easiest for them to manuever? I was thinking H hooks. :think

2. What project would you recommend to teach basic stitches? I was thinking a potholders, coaster or something. Any suggestions? :hook

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated; I'm really looking forward to this but I'm a little nervous at the same time.

You seem to be on the right track. I would do something like potholders or coasters to start out with, and an "h" hook would be about the right size.

Have many colors to choose from, both in the yarns and the hooks. Girls like colors!

Make it a fun way to learn. Once they get the basics, have class outside or in a different place to keep it fun. Unless it's too hot, then you'll get the whining to deal with. :lol

Also, bring along someone else to help out. This way, you aren't the only one walking around helping all who need it.

Good luck. Let us know how your class turns out.

:manyheart

I taught young girls to crochet last year. After they mastered chaining and single crochet, I taught them how to make a headband or belt. There is a really good belt pattern at Crochet Today:

http://www.crochettoday.com/pdfs/CTmar_aprBeltforWeb.pdf

This pattern uses hdc but I think it would be just as fun in sc (kids who are ready can move on to hdc, though... and it can be shortened to make a headband, too). They were especially proud because they could wear their creations. This pattern uses an I hook... I think anything in the H-I-J range is good for beginners. Have fun teaching!

I'd go with a wearable as well, something simple. A nice idea - when they are a little bit more proficient - is a granny square scarf or granny square bag. (the scarf is simply ten or twelve granny squares sewn together, one after another, with a simple fringe. A granny square bag: square front and back, a strap in dc.)

A potholder is a nice idea but not many little girls would use one themselves - it's nice to see crochet as a living, "usable" craft, I think.

The size H hook is a good start! It's easy to handle for beginners of all ages. I would suggest using a smooth, 'sturdy' worsted weight like Red Heart Super Saver in a light to medium solid color. It makes it easier to see the stitches. Most of all, relax and have fun. Take a few items along with you to show the kids what can be done, and maybe print out a few pics of some finished things, like simple amis, bags, hats, belts, etc. Good luck.

I like the idea of making something for them to wear or use right away.

I really would suggest a solid colour while they are learning the stitches. If they wanted a second row of their belt in the varigated it might work but you need to know where that hook goes first.

I hope to see lots of pics from your group. :manyheart

How about this pattern? http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/claudiasClutch.html An H or I hook.

I taught a group of Girl Scouts, ages about 11 and 12. Don't use Simply Soft yarn it is too slippery. Red Heart in bright colors would be good. The other thing I did was to make the chain and first row of stitches because I only had 2 classes to teach them crochet for their badge.

I love the idea of something they can wear right away like a headband. I think most any yarn other than a bulky and any hook that matches the yarn is good. I taught several of my middle school students (boys and girls) to crochet this last year with my leftover balls of yarn and spare hooks.

When I teach the kids I use an H or I hook depending on how the kids say it feels. Boys prefer the I hook. They learn how to chain and sc. We have no set patterns, they just chain and sc. I usually have them make a square. You would be amazed what you can turn a square into. They have come up with purses, cell phone cases, sport cards holders, coasters, and potholders. One young man made two of them and we sewed it into a hat. For yarn I use WW all the way. I have several of the crystalite hooks for them to use, and do let them buy them if they like it. I have a huge tote of all different colors of yarn, including varigated and let them choose what color they want. Have lots of hand outs, explaining things and the stitch abbrevations. Most of all be patient with them, they will get it. 9 times out of 10, the child wants to learn more, and so I have and advanced class for that. I find teaching the kids awhole lot eaiser then the adults. have a great time with it.

Any little rectangle can be folded and sewn to make a cover for an MP3 player or hand-held game system. Also can be used as a little change purse, and can be made to hang on the belt. If you can get some cheap elastic hair bands, they can crochet over them in their favorite colors to make pretty pony-tail holders.

For the ones who struggle, simple chains make good bookmarks or hair ribbons, or even "ribbon" for package ties. Last year, I had my then 10yo crochet me some chains that I used to wrap packages, and she was very proud.

I hope your class goes well! i would love to see pictures!:cheer

Has anyone had any luck teaching a 4 year old to crochet? My daughter has been begging to learn...she can use a knifty knitter loom, but really wants to learn to crochet. She will be five in december...

When I teach the kids I use an H or I hook depending on how the kids say it feels. Boys prefer the I hook. They learn how to chain and sc.

Thanks for the suggestions: I was thinking that the crystalite hooks would be nice and fun for them.

Thank you all for you suggestions: I think we'll try some belts and coin purses, etc. I will have hair bands on hands if there are any girls who want to make them. This is going to be fun!!!

Archived