Amy

Crochetville Yarn Swatch Party! July 13, 2008--REGISTER BY MONDAY, JULY 7

Meg at Yarn Expressions (my LYS) is sponsoring a Crochetville Yarn Swatch Party this summer! If you are anywhere near the Huntsville, Alabama area, please join us on Sunday, July 13, 2008, from 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Click here to see the flyer for this event.

Meg has generously donated 12 different skeins of yarn (pictures coming later) for me to work up into 6" samples so everyone attending will be able to see how these yarns feel and drape with different size hooks and with different stitches.

I'll also be making a short presentation designed to encourage crocheters to expand their horizons to create fashionable crochet garments. See the difference between garments crocheted in natural fiber yarns from the yarn store and those crocheted from synthetic fibers. We will try to find recommended garment patterns for all the yarn I'll be swatching. Meg will have the patterns and yarn in stock as well as a variety of crochet books for your enjoyment (and hopefully purchase).

There is a $10.00 admission fee for which you will receive 10-12 sample skeins of a number of different yummy yarns in a variety of weights and fibers.

If you want to attend, you'll need to reserve a space at the event so Meg can be sure to have enough swatch goodie bags prepared ahead of time for everyone. To reserve your seat, please call Yarn Expressions at 1-800-283-8409 to pay via credit card or make a $10.00 check payable to Yarn Expressions and mail to 8415 Whitesburg Drive, Huntsville, AL 35802.

CrochetvilleYarnParty.pdf

I wish you lived closer, too! I'm hoping everyone who lives within a reasonable driving distance will try to make it to our Yarn Swatching Party! It's going to be a lot of fun.

For those who can't make it, I'll be posting reviews of the yarns complete with pictures of all the swatches here on Crochetville. It'll be the next best thing to being there in person, although you won't be able to touch and feel the yummy yarns!

:sigh Unfortunately that is too far for me - sounds like so much fun - can we expect pics??

Of course, you expect pics! As soon as I get some of the samples finished, I'm going to do some research on each yarn, try to find some crochet patterns it would be suitable for, and then write a review of the yarn. I'll post the review here, complete with all the pics I've taken of the samples.

So even if you can't come to the yarn testing, you'll still get some of the benefits. You just won't be able touch the yarns yourself or see me in person! (And I'm sure it's the yarn that's going to be the big draw for the event anyway, not the chance to see me! Trust me, the yarn is much more fascinating! :lol)

Oh horsefeathers! Too far for me to attend. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics. :hook

Too far for us, but my daughter and I would have loved to attend.

Have a good day and enjoy!!!

Oh...to be in Huntsville once again! Stayed in Florence about 3 years ago and I loved it. I only wished I would have know about LYS! back then....

I would love to touch the yarn (and meet you, of course) but pictures will have to do!

Boy would I love to come to this!!!! I'm just imagining right now. If I drive (760 miles) from Dallas it would be a long 11 hour day. I would want to take a friend...but who?? I could fly but then I would have no car...That wouldn't be too much fun. I don't suppose you are chartering a bus for us North Texans to get there?? :lol

Does Southwest Fly to Huntsville??

Sorry, no Southwest into Huntsville. They do fly in to Nashville and Birmingham, though, each about a two hour drive away from Yarn Expressions.

These airlines fly into Hunstville (airport code HSV): American, Delta, Continental, Northwest, US Airways, and United.

:sigh Any chance of arranging one of those in Sydney? :think I have a spare room, Amy, you could have your accommodation covered :)

:sigh Any chance of arranging one of those in Sydney? :think I have a spare room, Amy, you could have your accommodation covered :)

If there's an LYS willing to buy my plane ticket out there, you can bet I'll organize one in Sydney!! :) I'd love to see Australia.

What's the cut-off date for reserving a spot? I just 'mapquested' it, and its an hour and a half drive for me. :D I'd love to come. Hubby has a family function going on in KY somewhere around that time, so I need to double check and make sure its not the same weekend.

I love this idea! unfortunately not a convenient time for me, but some other time I would love to participate!

What a really awesome idea! I hope you all have fun at your party. I would love to be there.

This sounds like a great idea! Maybe it will become a popular thing for LYS to do. I'll be looking forward to the pics and reviews!

I hope those who do attend have a great time!

( I will be up in Michigan visiting with my sisters. )

:cheer

Boy would I love to come to this!!!! I'm just imagining right now. If I drive (760 miles) from Dallas it would be a long 11 hour day. I would want to take a friend...but who?? I could fly but then I would have no car...That wouldn't be too much fun. I don't suppose you are chartering a bus for us North Texans to get there?? :lol

Does Southwest Fly to Huntsville??

If you didn't/wouldn't mind coming up to Oklahoma first, I'll ride with ya :yes We could have our own little party on the way :yay LOL :crocheting

Amy.. could we still send in the $10.00 and get the samples if we can't make it there in person?!?!?! :think:yarn:yarn:yarn

Amy.. could we still send in the $10.00 and get the samples if we can't make it there in person?!?!?! :think:yarn:yarn:yarn

Now that is a brilliant idea!

I'm not sure, to tell you the truth. Obviously, we want people to be there IN PERSON to make the event as fun as possible for everyone.

Let me give Meg a call tomorrow, and see what she has to say. There may be a limited number of kits that Meg is able to make available. If there are just a limited number of kits available (meaning the party would be cut off at some maximum number of attendees), then the kits may have to be reserved first for those attending in person. We may be able to work something out, even if it's putting people who can't attend in person on a waiting list. That way if there are still some left after those who register to attend in person, Meg can work her way down the waiting list until all kits are taken.

Hey - - - I live in Abilene TX so it's way too far but would love the samples too. Any word on whether we can "register but not attend"?????

Sounds like a lot of fun, too bad I can't travel that far. If there will be extra samples available I'll gladly send in $10. I would love to try some new yarns I can't get around here in RI. Have fun!!!

Have you found out any more on this Amy???