Front Load Washer???

Guest Catlizg

Guest Catlizg

I really would like to felt a few items, but I have a front load washer. From everything I've been reading, a top loader is best. Is it possible to felt with a front loader? Do items stay in the H20 longer or shorter? Help, please.

yes, I felt in my front loader exclusively. I just choose a short cycle and put it in for multiple short cycles if necessary. I have heard that you can interrupt the cycle in the middle but you have to wait about 30 sec for the water to drain out before the door will unlock. I think this would be a waste of water, assuming that it would have to fill up again if you wanted to put it back in for longer.

I've done quite a few pieces in my front loader. I've been happy with the results. I think, though, that I may try using a top loader at the laundomat someday. Good luck & have fun!

I've felted quite a few things, and always in my front loader. I have also felted small items by hand, but every bag/purse (about 4) that I've made with the front loader has been fine. I tend to use a nice hot cycle and let it play out, so I do get a lot of shrinkage and very intense felting, with virtually no stitch definition, but that's the way I like it.

Guest Catlizg

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm going to have to try something small and see how I do. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Front loaders do take some getting used to but they do work well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack the thread but someone here said they do it with very hot water and little stitch definition. I want that but I am unsure of the shrinkage. Is there some kind of formula to use? I want to make a felted eye glass case and this would be my first project to felt. I bought some Lion brand wool. Thank in advance to anyone who answers.

• 1 month later...

Archived