Yarn Question

pasteeater

Question

:yesI have a pattern book for some very quick and easy rugs that I'd like to make a few for my [hopefully prayerfully lol] house. The problem is this: It calls for braided yarn 6mm??? What is that? Is that macrame? I looked on the net and I don't know where to buy it? I don't have the money YET but I'd like to know what to look for when I do have the money. Any idea about this yarn? I just want to know what it is. Thanks so much!!!! :hook:yay

5 answers to this question

Here is an :ebay auction for some braided yarn... it might give you a starting place so you know what it would look like. It looks like a fine cord.

if you have a 6mm crochet hook (size I ?) it would give you an idea of the general heft.

I just did a :google for 6mm braided yarn and got a few hits :eek

I make great rugs using 2 or 3 strands of regular worsted weight yarn, like Red Heart Super Saver. It's durable, economical, and there's plenty of color choice. This way, you can also tweed a rug, or shade it.

I make great rugs using 2 or 3 strands of regular worsted weight yarn, like Red Heart Super Saver. It's durable, economical, and there's plenty of color choice. This way, you can also tweed a rug, or shade it.

That's a good idea! It calls for a Q hook and is only about 8 rounds so that works SO well for me lol. Do you think it should be 3 or 4 strands?

Well, a Q hook is huge. Try 4 strands and do a swatch using the stitch called for in the rug pattern. You can add or subtract strands according to how your swatch comes out.

This is a wonderful old method for tweeding. If you have a pattern that calls for normal worsted weight, but you want to tweed it, you can usually substitute 2 strands of sport weight or 3 strands of baby weight. For heavier weights, experiment!

Archived