Help Finding Yarn in Germany: Salzburg, Vienna, Marktoberdorf

cmr3877

Hi Everybody!

I'm a newbie!

My boyfriend is headed to Germany (without me, :cry) for a two week music study in Marktoberdorf, Stuttgart, and Munich. As I have to take over ebay duties while he's gone (we sell gaming miniatures, now THAT'S another story), he has promised me lots of beautiful German wool to crochet with when he gets home. But, I have to tell him where to find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi! I'm over in Frankfurt, but I visited MarvieN in Stuttgart and we found two really nice yarn shops and one with standard (still nice, but not expensive nice) yarn in Stuttgart. If you pm her - via email as she's not checking the board often now that it's warm - she will be able to tell you exactly where the stores are.

If your boyfriend will have a rental car, there is an Opal yarn factory just outside of Stuttgart. I found the website once, let me see if I can find it again.

Hmm....can't find it. BUT, I know I sent it to Marvie, so maybe she still has the address. Also, this list is a little out of date, but this lady put together a list of yarn stores in the bigger Germany cities: http://www.woolworks.org/stores/germany.html

Have fun! :)

OK, German crochet friends, please excuse me!

I meant SALZBURG, not STUTTGART! Ooops! :oops

Here are the stores in Munich:

Rundum Tee und Wolle (0 89) 74 94 95 78

Drygalski-Allee 117 | 81477 München

Wir wollen Euch GmbH (0 89) 49 05 97 17

Grafinger Str. 6 | 81671 München

Woll-Wichtl (0 89) 6 11 22 53

Hofmarkweg 4 | 82008 Unterhaching

Wolle & Schönes (0 89) 4 30 87 44

Phantasiestr. 2 | 81827 München

And thanks for the stores in Stuttgart. He doesn't have a car, but the tour is stopping a few days in each place.

Wish me luck!

:rose Catherine

Does your husband know anything about yarn weight? They don't call them worsted etc. here they go by needle or hook size in metric (so will say needle size 3-4 mm). If it is sock weight yarn you are after then this is the country! Never seen so much sock yarn ever. In Canada we tend to go for a bit heavier weight yarn as the normal yarn you would find. They don't really have malls or big box stores as such so you have to find little stores. They also often close for lunch (although maybe it is different in southern germany I am posted to Bergen-Belsen north of Hanover). Nothing is open on Sundays either. I went to a german walmart the other day and they had one shelf of yarn. Oh and of course the skeins are in grams if you hadn't figured that out.

HTH

Rachel

Archived