"I like crocheting more than knitting because _____________"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I can knit a little, but am not great at it. I generally knit caps for guys for the stretchy, unisex look they give, but crochet most everything else. I can't seem to do many wearables at all, whether knitting or crocheting.

I agree with the reasons already listed about crochet being faster, easier, and easier for mistake correction. When I drop a stitch knitting, it's nine kinds of Hades trying to get it corrected, and sometimes I can't even get it fixed at all.

Crocheting caters to my need for instant gratification!! I can make a hat in a day if I crochet whereas it would take me much longer to knit. Also, I don't like double pointed needles -- not that coordinated I guess!! There's so much to crochet -- YEAA!!!!!!!!

Well I can't really say I like Crocheting more then I like knitting. I like them both for different reasons.

Crochet I like because it can be fast (however the Babette I've been working on for over a year proves it can be very slow too....lol).

I like that mistakes are easier to fix then with knitting.

I like that with crochet I feel comfortable stopping in the middle of a row and laying my project down.

(Knitting I find I more projects that I don't have to think or count while working on, so I tend to do it more when I'm stressed. I can knit and actualy watch a tv show or movie, when I crochet I keep checking my project and only end up listening to the tv. Also knitting is easier on my wrists then crochet is.)

I like crocheting more than knitting because there's only one loop to keep track of!!

I like knitting more than crocheting because knitted fabric naturally can stretch making a sweater look custom fit easier.

I do a lot less ranting when I'm crocheting. Unless it's my starting row. For some reason knitting for me is incredibly hard. Possibly, cause I've taught myself. It would be nice to learn from someone who knows how.

I like crocheting more than knitting because, even though I tried learning to knit, it just went too slow for me to get "hooked"! Hee, hee! The constant concern about dropped stitches, counting every stitch I made, and trying to keep an even tension just made me crazy. Crocheting is relaxing for me, but trying to knit just makes me more tense! I still want to learn someday, but I'm enjoying crocheting too much to try again just now.

Something else I thought of...with crocheting, it's a lot easier to hide your mistakes. Seeing as lot of people are more familiar with a knitted piece vs. a crocheted piece, you can always pretend it's a design element <LOL>. If you make a mistake with knitting, it just looks atrocious...

• 2 weeks later...

I much prefer to crochet. It is faster and you have a finished product quicker. I know how to knit and I do a little bit but mostly repair sweaters for friends.

I like crocheting better than knitting because I flunked knitting and taught myself to crochet. Knitting doesn't have as many stitches to make the pretties I like to make.

Darlene

OMG! I think I agree with everything! After only knowing how to do chains, I taught myself to crochet many years ago with the help of a magazine but with knitting I can't EVER seem to get past the bare basics and never been motivated to make even a scarf (which since I've been living in S. FL would be totally useless...). I'm still thinking that "someday" I should really learn so I can know both but the motivation still doesn't come because crochet:

1. Is faster, not being very patient I cannot say enough about "instant gratification.:D

2. Provides the perfect "niche" for slightly ADD people like me. I confess I find knitting quite boring but crochet very stimulating, it keeps me interested and challenges me to learn more, period. Besides, no one here thinks it's unusual to have several projects going at once or an "addiction" to yarn and/or patterns!

3. Stimulates creativity, something I really appreciate!

4. Seems richer, more interesting to me. Imagine, with just a few basic stitches the combinations are endless!

5. For me it has been easier, I started making "real" things right away and thus getting that great feeling of satisfaction because "I made it myself".

6. The beauty of crochet is "classic" as seen in all the vintage patterns re-emerging on the "net". I have an aunt who has saved some partly tattered old heirlooms hoping she can learn enough to either fix them or copy them, I don't know if anyone feels the same way about old knitted items...

7. As already said, it's just practical: one hook, only one stitch at a time to concern oneself with and totally portable!

8. Also, as someone also said even the word sounds classier, it's French, oh-la-la!;)

I don't like knitting because it takes forever to fix if you make a mistake. If I read a pattern wrong, then in crochet I just undo a bunch and keep going but if I do that while knitting, then it will take me like 4 times as long to fix it. While knitting, I tend to forget where I'm at in the pattern and then I make more mistakes.

It's definitely faster and the variety of stitches is endless, and much easier to "carry along" knitting needles seem to get in the way and a hook will fit in your pocket if necessary!! plus you only need one to do a project in the "round"

• 2 months later...

It's easier to pick up stitches when they are dropped or unraveled so I don't have to be as careful when I have to put something down really quick.

Archived