Sign in to follow this  
CrochetBabytoo

interested in making pattern

Question

I would like to learn how to design my own patterns...how does everyone do it? where do you find time to just sit and try to figure things out? any help would be great!

9 answers to this question

You just get an idea and go with it.

The trick is to make sure you write down what you're doing!

What do you want to try to make?

You can also look at other patterns of the item you are making. If it is amigrumi, you can see where they started, how they put it together, how it is worded, etc. Just kind of mimic it, but making your own item, does that make sense? If it is a wearable, make note about where they started/finished. If it is a top, do you start at the bottom, or the arms, which would work better for your design?

Well, it starts with an idea...you kind of have to know where you want to end up in order to know how/where to start...especially with doily patterns (Katchkan can answer on that aspect). With the doilies, you have to know what you want to do with the next round in order to work the current row to allow the next round to occur. With other items, you can play with stiches and see how it works out for you. Also, that is why some people do freeform crochet so they have no boundaries and the piece goes where it will.

I have some designs, most of them are doilies.

The design ideas are not coming when I sit down, they usually pops when I do not expected, first I try to make very simple drawing and start making the piece. I do not write them. When I finish , I take photocopy of finished doily, etc., if it is too large, I copy half of it. With this way I see all the details and I make chart from the copy of my work. It shows actual size too.

I know it is sounds strange but this is how I do.

Demet

Hi. I get ideas all the time. The ideas I get are mostly squares.

What I do is I try to sketch the idea on paper, then I try to crochet it.

I have tried making doilies but they always come out pretty crummy.

I dont know why I get ideas, but I do. I guess its cause I do some much crocheting. julie

I just tend to get an idea and go for it. if it turns out well, I'll either keep it for a reference if I ever decide to write it down, or take pictures so if it's a gift I can reference my computer gallery and reproduce it.

Writing them down is a wonderful idea, I'm just not in the practice of that...

I've made things that I wanted for myself. A good place to start for garments or afghans is to look thru stitch guides like Harmony. They show you how different stitches come together to form a pattern. From there, you can develop your own or use combinations of classic ones to form the "fabric" for the item you want to make.

i look at pictures of doilies and i think how could this be better, or i like this part, or that would look better with such and such. im going to start drawing them as i imagine them

I might suggest starting with an easy pattern like a simple scarf. Choose your yarn and hook size (make sure to write them down so you don't forget to add that to your pattern) and write down each row as you work your project. Include everything like the initial chain and turning at the end of each row (if applicable).

I also suggest looking at good crochet patterns (such as Lion Brand Yarn patterns online) to get an idea of what yours is supposed to look like. It's nice to include a stitch guide and gauge as well.

Best of luck to you and Happy Crafting! :cheer