Annie's Attic free pattern, May 20th

Krakovianka

Take a look at this today, if you get a chance. It's a floral doily--very pretty--that includes a Bruges-style tape around the edge.

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/

I have been of the opinion that Bruges is one style of crocheting that really needs to be charted, and I haven't changed my opinion after seeing this pattern with written instructions for just one tape, relatively simple. Take a look at the instructions for round 8. Daunting, huh?

If anyone attempts making this, I really would love to see your work and hear a report of how it worked to follow those instructions.

Edited to add:

I finally finished reading the instructions all the way to the end, and I think I could not call this "Bruges," exactly, but maybe semi-Bruges because the tape is not continuous all the way around. It is worked in pieces that are meant to be sewed together afterward.

This is a very pretty doily, and I think Dot Drake is quite an original designer of thread patterns, but they are not easy, that's for sure. They classify this as skill level "intermediate," but it looks "extremely difficult" to me!

Oh dear, I printed it earlier but now that Krakovianka thinks it's daunting, with all the lovely intricate doilies she's made -- :eek!

I'm working on a written-pattern Bruges now (my first Bruges, from an AA magazine) and there has been lots of frogging. It's so easy to lose your place. The only way I've been able to figure it out was to squint at the photo. Now I don't feel quite so bad.

Archived