Who taught you to crochet? Age?

my mom taught me when I was about 8 years old. A self-taught, left-handed (back in those days there were no lefty instructions), she held the instruction pictures up to a mirror! Being a lefty myself, I'm sure glad she thought of that.

When I was 7 my Great Grandmother passed away and my sister and I were told that if we wanted her yarn we could have it. It was an attic full of yarn O.o. From there I had to teach myself because my grandma was already gone and I don't even know to this day if it was knitting or crochet or even anything else that made her have so much yarn but I do know that no one else knew how to do either one lol. So at 9 I kinda taught myself with the help of my mom who had to try and help me understand the books and such. If I remember correctly I think my great grandmother tried to teach us some before she died but it wasn't enough to get me crocheting since it was only maybe a short amount of time. I've only been crocheting well for maybe a year though. But I am 23 now and I have been crocheting on and off since I was 9.

Edited by Sweetpossibilities

• 9 months later...

I taught myself from books when I was 20 or so. My great aunt has crocheted for as long as I can remember. She tried to teach me when I was younger, but all I ever learned was to make a chain. She wasn't around me a lot, or I'm sure she would have taught me more. My great aunt is who inspired me to learn. I guess I was always intrigued by how she could take some yarn and turn it in to something functional and beautiful.

I taught myself a few years ago. I knew how to make a chain and that was it. I have learned alot from the online videos, etc. What a blessing that has been. Learned alot from Theresa Richardson's site. Especially how to do the Roll or Bullion stitch using this tool she made. I think that is my favorite stitch. So I guess really the Internet Crochet Videos and instructions have taught me. And I get all my patterns both free and bought from the Internet.

Avalee

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My sister taught me the basics in a week. Then she went back home and I bought a book and taught myself the rest. Sometimes I still have to get her to help me as I think I read patterns how I want to not as they are written. I have been crocheting for 4-5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I was 22 when I took an interest in crocheting, my grandmother taught me the basic single crochet but she just taught me one line, I taught myself everything else with help from the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

Taught myself, well, actually my mom showed me the chain and dc for some reason. Then I had to leave to go back where my husband and I lived 1300 miles away, so I taught myself how to make something starting with (of all things) Tunesian crochet. Frustration to the max, but I learned! Then took a class to learn more. I was 26 and am now 63.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am for the most part a self-taught/watched ours crochet type of learner. I started to teach myself when I was in my teen years. I was sitting watching my wonderful mother crocheting a blanket for my sister & I and that is how I started to learn. Now mind you, my mother has crocheted in years, she just recently started cross stitching again.

I was 20/21.. and I bought the how to crochet book at walmart. I did not understand the directions well.. I did not see you had to Chain and turn the work and I kept going in a big "oval" till my BFF's grandma saw what I was doing and she set me straight!! then the directions made sense.. so in a way I feel like she taught me.. once she showed me what I did wrong. everything clicked. and Ever since every new technique I've self taught myself, by watching Utube.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother taught me at the age of six, but she was very impatient so I asked my cousins to help me and after 48 years I'm still crocheting.:hook

• 1 month later...

For some reason it is an unintentional tradition for the grandmother to teach the grandchildren. I used to spend summers with my grandmother in Pennsylvania, where she taught me the basics of machine sewing and crocheting. I was hooked (pun intended)! I've been doing both since I was about 8!

• 4 weeks later...

My great Grandmother taught me when I was a very young girl, but I forgot all of it (except the chain) and had to learn the basics again at a class given by a local yarn shop. I am self-teaching myself the more advanced stitches with varying degrees of success! :hook

• 3 weeks later...

just learned at 31, my best friend crochets and I always was impressed by it and wanted to learn. She's left handed and I'm right handed so she couldn't teach me. She learned from youtube and told me just to find some videos and make up your mind to learn and do it. That's what I did, been crocheting a little over a month and getting better as I go. My gauge and tension aren't perfect yet, but I assume it'll get better as I do more projects :)

• 5 weeks later...