Who taught you to crochet? Age?

My mom taught me the basic chain and double when I was 10. A family friend taught me my first granny square shortly thereafter (which I taught my mom!) and the rest is "history" -- that's 31 years ago now (I'm 41) and I wish my mom was here to thank her...I've done lots and lots of crochet in that time and I'm sure she'd be proud of what I've made! :) She was a very artistic woman... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My MIL taught me - I was in my late 20s. She was a very craft and art oriented person and she was happy to share her expertise. :)

my mom taught me how to chain, single & double crochet when i was 9 y/o. (mostly, to just keep me busy!) i taught myself everything else by books, trial & error, & just plain stubborness! (i will be 44 (gulp) thanksgiving!) my mom is a breast cancer survivor!!:cheer YOU ROCK, MOM!!!

If I can remember, this is like back in the early 70's!! :eek I was in High School, either 9th or 10th grade. It was in my Home Ec. class that I learned. Our first project was a V-stitch type round doily. So I must have been 14/15 yrs. of age???:think BUT I did learn to "knit" when I was about 8 yrs. old. My friend Pearl's "nana" taught me. Don't remember what I made though???

My Grandmother taught me to crochet (holding the needle underhanded) when I was 10 years old. I stopped for a while but 30 years later I still remember what she taught me. I also have the first afaghan that I crocheted and it is still in good shape. She taught me well!

I was 12 years old, and my grandmother tried and tried to teach me, but she went too fast, and didn't have enough patience. My next door neighbor's teenage sister taught me, but my grandmother always thought she did, and I didn't deny it. She was the one who piqued my interest in learning how to do it after all.

I taught myself with a little help from a neighbor when I was 11 or 12.

My mother had tried to teach me, but she's left-handed, only knew the chain and sc, and holds her hook traditionally, almost vertically (something I still don't quite understand). And let's just say there's a reason I couldn't learn how to parallel park until a friend took over the tutoring. (I think it's mainly a combo of Mom's right-brained-ness and ADD. I'm more whole-brained, leaning towards left-brained if anything, and very not ADD. Makes communication kinda difficult.)

I think my mum taught me the basics when I was about 8 but never took to it. I relearnt from a book last year and haven't stopped since - I started with yarn and then moved onto thread which is what i mainly do now :bounce

• 2 weeks later...

My mom taught my sister and I taught us to crochet when we were eight. Actually, one of the gifts we got for a our birthday (we're twins) that year was a ball of yarn and our first hook - which both of us still have (the hooks, not the yarn). I'll be turning 32 this year, so that's 24 years. I just got really into it again last year, so now I'm advancing with my learning and actually making things.

My aunt taught me. I was about 9 or 10. Somewhere around there. I'm 25 now. I'm left-handed, and the only other lefty in my family doesn't crochet. I thank God that my aunt had the patience to teach me. Crocheting helps me keep my sanity in this crazy house I'm in!

I was raised in Belgium and we learned in school. Knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, crossstitch. I learned to knit first and then crochet. Crochet was a problem for me and I just started again to crochet.

Betty G.