Who taught you to crochet? Age?

My mum taught me - she tried first when I was quite young, but I never got the hang of it. Then I tried to teach myself when in college. Then, after I got married, we went home for a visit a year later and she showed me again and I got the hang of it and took off and that was about 7 years ago, making me about 27 or 28...

No one ever taught me but I was inspired by my Grandma. She did the most amazing thread work and never used a pattern in her life. She made bedspreads, tablecloths, and edgings on linens. She is still going at 95 and none of her children or grandchildren have ever used a towel or washcloth that isn't edged with crochet. She has been giving them to us as gifts all our lives.

But I taught myself how to crochet and how to knit. Just bought a How To book and some hooks and thread and learned by trial and error.

My tiny grandma when I was around 10. She did the most amazing thread crochet. My favorite was a filet curtain ( of an indian) on her back door. I have never seen any like it.She also taught me to crochet. When she passed they put her favotite hook in her hands. Chris

My grandmother taught me when I was in my 20s. I didn't learn very well :lol so I put it away until my 40s and BAM picked it right up and correctly this time. Had I stuck with it back then, I could have made a bunch of stuff! :hook

I learned to knit and crochet from my paternal grandmother at about 10 years old. She was always doing something, knitting, crocheting or sewing. I prefer crocheting to either of the other skills.

My mother taught me to do basic knitting and crochet. I learned to "knit" when I was about 10 and I learned to crochet when I was a teen. I learned on Granny Squares and later picked it up again when I wanted a ripple afghan. My mom showed me the pattern and stitches and said "Now go do it yourself..this one is easy" I ripped it out 4 times before I could get the pattern right but now I can crochet almost anything. I still can't knit worth a darn...LOL

My aunt taught me when I was 27, pregnant and on bed rest.....I needed something to do!!! lol So I've been crocheting for about 11 years now. :) My aunt and I are still the only ones in the family that do any sort of crafty thing.

My grandma, Gram O. taught me when I was a teenager. I was driving, so I was probably 17 or 18 at the time.

I like to remember when she was teaching me. It's happy memories, now that she's gone.

:manyheart

When I was 7 or 8 my neighbor told me to get a hook and some bedspead thread and she would help me learn crochet. I had been just watching her make chair sets, which she sold for extra money. I would try to make clothes for my dolls. Then we moved.

Didn't mess with crochet until I was in my late teens. Another neighbor

helped me there. Only she loaned me her books to use and helped me. I fell in love with pineapples. Only Mrs. Colley had to me strech out and crochet other things.. And they are both gone now but I thank them from the bottom of my heart.

two girls that I grew up with (at different times)......first time I was about 8 (chain stitches!) then another girl taught me to do scs when I was about 10. After that I taught myself the rest of the stitches.:hook

My mom taught me when I was aboutr 10 years old. She came for a visit last week and it had been so long since she crocheted anything, I had to re-teacher her. What goes around, comes around :lol.

My Grandmother, God rest her soul, taught me when I was very young. Looking back to the time when my memories start I already knew how to chain, sc and dc.

I had no idea that she had me working with sport weight and smaller to make stuff for my barbies.

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandmothers taught me when I was about 9. My Mother's mother was crocheting baby layettes then and thirty years later she still makes the same layettes!

My Father's mother made granny square blankets.

I am lucky enough to have one of each and I can make my own.

My grandmother tried to teach me when I was around 12 or 13, but I just couldn't get it. Then a couple years later I found a book that had the easiest insturctions and away I went and I haven't looked back. I first made a pair of slippers and now there isn't much I can't master ... except maybe time to get it all done!

My mother taught me the basics when I was a young teen, but I had difficulty getting the hang of it at first.. I even got angry and quit for a few days. Then, I made up my mind that I was going to learn to crochet or croak! I would sit day after day, making mile-long chains, then unraveling them, then doing the chain again, over and over and over.... I'd work on the basic stitches and finally sat down to make my first afghan, which I still have to this day. I've been crocheting ever since. I've sold a few pieces over the years, and given away even more :)

Red.

My grandmother taught me sometime between 6-8ish, I don't remember how old I was. Though I re-taught myself when I was 25 or so via books and good old trial and error.