Blocking/washing?

wrenlover

Question

This has never been clear to me. Do you block everything you make? When do you and when don't you. Is it really necessary? I thought that this was and old fashioned thing to do, because of the way yarns used to be. Do you wash your crochet gifts before you give them (baby hats, blankets?) I personally never have and I am now wondering if I should be doing this? Sorry if this is a silly question, I am just not real clear on this.

6 answers to this question

I've never blocked anything in my life.

I startched my bookmarks a little but never blocked them.

I also never used thread before but now that I am trying, I might find things that need blocked; like snowflakes.

For blankets and stuff, nope. I really haven't needed to plus I'm too lazy.

As for washing, I used to wash everything first. Now if I have time, I will but if I don't have time I don't.

I think all of it is mostly personal choice.

I only block if my piece curls a lot. I do wash everthing I give as gifts, mostly because I have 4 cats who love to sleep on my projects and I don't want to give a gift with cat hair all over it.

With yarn, I don't block much of anything. Only if it curls or isn't quite the right shape. With thread, I block almost everything since it pretty much always looks better afterwards. (That might change when I get better at thread :lol but for now everything seems to come out with at least a couple of bumps and things that disappear when I block.)

I personally prefer to block everything. On thread, it makes every little point and picot look perfect. On yarn, it's a smoother, perfectly square look. As far as washing, the main thing to remember is the person you give it to is not going to feel as comfortable washing it as you do. If you use hand lotion when you crochet, that can deteriorate the yarn/thread over a period of time, so it's best to start out with a clean item. It's a matter of preference, I think.

Susan Rae

Archived