what is the very first thing you ever crocheted?

When I was about 8, an aunt taught me to make a chain, so I did. She put a medallion of some sort on it, and it was a 70s necklace! Fast forward to 32, when I was pregnant with my son 12 years ago. I did a simple SC cream-colored blanket which I never used because it's so hot here and he was a hot-natured baby. Then a couple of years ago, I took up crochet yet again and did some place mats that actually worked. So I've had three starts now!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, way back in the '70's, when they had Home Ec.--my first project was a pink variegated v-stitch doily!!:hook

I also was very young my mom taught me first to crochet a long chain with my fingers then she taught me to look at something and copy it my first project was a thread doliy for my grandmother for Christmas one year. It was pretty and ruffly only problem the one I was coping was flat lol

Darlene

My actual first "project"? It was during the blizzard of 1978, and we were living in Michigan. We lost power for about three days and there was no school (I was in junior high). I made a peach colored vest with a lot of shell stitches.

I taught myself to Crochet in 1975. Neither my mother or grandmother were ever able to teach me - they held their hooks European style and I just couldn't do it.

My first year of college I saw a crochetted frog that I just had to have for my bed. So while I was in the hospital for a minor procedure during Christmas break, I taught myself to crochet and made that FROG!!

I've been :crocheting for 30+ years. I remember my sister taught me to make granny squares when I was 8 (9?). In the 70's granny square vests were "groovy", so I tried make one. The large square for the back was lopsided and the small squares for the sides/front didn't line up right. Don't think I ever actually put it together :lol. The first usable thing I remember was a ripple scarf I did when I was 14 (?), still have it some where :think.

Ellie 13

The first thing I ever made was a little dress for a very small rubber doll.

My Mother still had it when she passed away. The dress was really old looking. It was just a plain little top and a straight skirt. I also made her some panties. All this was out of bedspread thread..

E1

I made a multi-colored afghan! I bought 8 different colors of yarn and crocheted large squares of scs in each color.....I think I made 2 or 3 of each color and then I sewed them together! I was about 12 years old and I was so proud of that afghan!:)

My mom had to teach me twice. The first time I was still a kid and had the attention span of a gnat, so I didn't get far at all with learning. Just learned to make a chain!

The second time, it 'took'...lol She gave me a pattern for a 'Kittens in a Row' throw, using black, gray and white. She said she was afraid that I wouldn't stick with it unless I was actually 'making something interesting'. Since I adored the pattern, I stuck with it. BUT, didn't have enough yarn. Couldn't find any to match the colors close enough because of dye lots, AND the yarn itself was discontinued. :(

I don't really remember how old I was when I learned how to crochet, knit & sew, My mother taught me all this when I was very young. I do know when I was 7 yrs. old I crocheted a doll's hat for my doll, using the wooden stick from a lollipop. (No hook on that).

A complicated baby afghan done completely in a shell stitch. I didn't know I shouldn't have been able to do it. I had no trouble!

Archived