what is the very first thing you ever crocheted?

This is funny. Does anyone remember Woolworth's? When I learned to crochet there was a Woolworths within walking distance. I bought a whole mess of red yarn (my fav color) and was determined to make an afghan for my twin size bed. I had no idea how to read a pattern let alone that they existed. I only knew the ch,sc,hdc sts. So I started my afghan, lengthwise. Needless to say I soon ended up with a 6 foot long red monstrosity that became a scarf instead of an afghan. :rofl It decorated many a snowman in our front yard until it got to ratty. I don't remember throwing it away but I'm sure thats what happened to it. Oh the joy when I discovered there were patterns and I did not need to make my own up in my head.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mine was a wonky cock-eyed, crooked afghan using scraps from mom's yarn - it started with white, then some dark bluey/purpley with a silver thread through it. It was a hideously lovely afghan for my dolls :)

a chain. :lol i did lots of stitching swatches but first completed project was a granny square baby blanket that took 3 years to finish. thanks to a new baby and procrastination. however between teh stitching swatches and baby blanket I didn't crochet for about 8-10years.

It was a Smurf head, Christmas ornament. I made a bunch of them for a "Sanata's Workshop" at the grade school where I worked. The next year I crocheted pot holders and I've been crocheting ever since,

I went to a church group and one of the badges was to learn crochet, I had an ackward time being left handed and nobobdy could help me but I eventually got it down and made a 6ft scarf for my best friend. I didn't pick up a hook agian until I turned 18 and started making double stranded baby blankets.

My Mommom taught me when I was 14. I made a full size ripple afghan in Bright yellow, Black/silver/white Var. and Black Wintuk yarn and an H hook. All single crochet, 305 stitches wide!!! :eek Never learned the knack of double crochet until recently.

I remember when I was 5 and my grandmother started to teach me to crochet. The first lesson was the chain. Well, not knowing any better, I went on my own and practiced and practiced until the chain was long enough to wrap around the house :hook I was so proud of that chain. That's when my grandmother decided that I needed to learn more stiches. :lol

My MIL taught me when I was first married. She had some yellow baby yarn and I made a swatch of ch, dc, and sc just to learn. The first project with a pattern was a pair of baby booties from that yellow baby yarn. My DH and I were newlyweds and when I showed him the finished booties he about collapsed! I gave them to a friend who was expecting.

Now I have all my MIL's hooks, because she can't do any longer. :(

Believe it or not, it was an Irish crochet style rose. At the time, those pink, white and green hot mat sets were all the rage so roses were the thing to do. Well I started with a red rose because that is the thread that was available at the time... all the pink was used up :rofl

If I still remember, The first thing i crocheted is a square green doiley. But I did only a part of that... helping my cousin. The first one done completely by me is a creame and purple round doiley, which is still used by my mother on the phone table.

first thing I ever actually completed was a christening afghan for my first niece )who is now 10)

My first project - just gifted to my mother in law this past weekend - was a potholder that, well...leaves something to be desired, to say the least. First of all, it's not square (looks more like a rhombus!) and second of all, when I was learning how to seam it, my teacher looked at me and asked "did you know you stitched it inside out?" How the heck I did that, I have no idea, but I promised that I'd make her another one if I can make it look better. Then I also did a dishtowel that came out better, but still has a decrease somewhere in it that made the sides a little crooked. grrr......

Did I mention I'm a perfectionist?

• 1 month later...

My mom taught me to crochet when I was about 6? And I made myself a chain stitch "bracelet". I was so proud of myself that I made all my friends necklaces and bracelets.

A bedspread!

My mum taught me to crochet when I was 6 or 7 but I didn't take it up properly for another 20 years when I suddenly decided I wanted something to do over the Christmas holidays. That Christmas project turned into a double size bedspread which took a lot longer than the Christmas holidays!

A bedspread may sound impressive but it was actually a load of 12" granny squares crocheted together. ;)

It lasted for 6 years, which was when we got the new puppy! Need I say more :lol

I learned how when I was a girl scout. I didn't know how to turn properly or make a square or anything beside basic stitches. I think it was suppose to be a hat. All I know is that it was in this baby pastel varieagated yarn. I made a long chain and then just kept crocheting around it. It (looking back) turned out to be a cross between a hat and a slipper, and I gave it to my baby sister. I just remember being so very proud of it.

I have done a few swatches here and there, to learn on, but my frist project was the red, white and blue afghan I just did :clap

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/IamJolyn/crochet/?action=view&current=IMG_0015.jpg

I used to love to watch my great grandma crochet, she could make anything, from baby clothes to toys to blankets, she would sit and talk to the family and just like magic things would appear on her lap :D

First thing I ever crocheted was a set of golf club covers for my dad. They were in dark brown, in the round and I had no clue what I was doing. They came out okay and he used them forever.

Oh wow, let me think that was about 30 some odd years, I think it was a sc afghan but in sguares and not one came out the same and ripped it apart many times, but got it done.

Archived