what is the very first thing you ever crocheted?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An all single crochet baby blanket for my son. He still has it and he's 10! It's made with Lion Brand Jamie yarn and boy has that yarn held up. It's ugly but it was my first so I love it. :manyheart

I think it was a hat. A hat made of bulky yarn and dc stitches. Since I could really see what I was doing, I just kind of inserted the hook where I thought it ought to go and went from there. It was caramel colored with random pink spots. :lol Not to mention a bit too big. Right afterwards I made a hot pink one just like it, except it turned out a bit more square.

A pink and blue baby blanket for my oldest child (she will be 20 next month)

I was at a monthly checkup (I think I was around the 5th or 6th month). There was another expectant mother in the waiting room crocheting a baby blanket. She showed me how to make a chain and a very basic square. She gave me a crochet hook and a skien of yarn and after practicing enough that I thought I had the stitch down, bought the pink and blue yarn and made that blanket as well as one for my son and several nieces and nephews born all around the same time. It was around that time that I discovered plastic canvas and crocheting was completely forgotten until around 3 years ago, I picked it back up to learn to make dishclothes...but that same oldest child wanted an afghan she saw in one of my crochet magazines. I like to think my efforts are much better now, and I don't see putting it down again, as this time I am truly hooked. Sorry for the long post....I do ramble sometimes :D especially when talking about one of my favorite hobbies....

Oh GEE, really making me :think about this. I remember my grandmother giving me a :hook and :yarn and she showed me how to DC, and if my memory serves me well I made some hot pads out of the scrap yarn she gave me. And then I ventured on and made Barbie blankets and then my first scarf :lol.

The very first thing I crocheted was an 8 by 10 granny square afghan. They were 6 row granny squares, first 4 rows were a bright color and the last 2 rows were black. My daughter is the owner of that afghan and she still has it today, it's probably 20 or so years old.

a really loosely stitched lopsided potholder that wouldn't protect your hands from anything!

It's been so long ago that I don't remember the colors. Probably a light color to make it easier to see the stitches, but it was a granny square.

Beverly

A baby layette, hat, sweater and booties for a cousin that was having her first baby. He is now 42 and his son now 12 wore the outfit when he was born. It is still holding up. :hook

A very, very, very wavy scarf!

It was dark gray Homespun my (then) boyfriend picked out. Needless to say, I couldn't see my stitches, and I didn't know you had to count... it varied in width from 14-10 sc. And the boy wore it EVERY winter day!

Mine first project was a scarf, crocheted lengthwise in cream acrylic. I didn't keep count, so the ends were very uneven (though I managed to cover that up with the fringe), and my tension was soooo tight that it was very stiff. I still have it but I don't wear it any more - I have much nicer, softer scarves now. :D

my very first project was an afghan that I did in all sc and a K hook it was all I could remember when I got home from a friend teaching me the basics so I put my heart into that afghan that came out all kinds of awkward and lop sided it ended up being 5 by 6 feet long took me a good 6 months to make :)

Let me see, I was 5 years old when I learned how to crochet and my grandma says that as soon as she taught me how to dc that's the only stitch I used and I think the most memorable first crocheted "thing"

I made with Dc was a triangular blob thing that was originally gonna be a rectangle or square. What a memory!! I look back on that time 15 years ago and I'm so amazed at how far I've come and so thankful.

I don't count my "first projects" as I was using a teach yourself booklet from Red Heart. I did them to learn and then tossed them. But the first project I did that I kept, and wore!! was a granny square poncho. My very first "coat", as I didn't have one. I added fringe to hide how horribly it was pieced together. Man, I've come a long way since those days. XD

My first REAL, completed project was an afghan in a ripple popcorn stitch in off white, gold, and brown. When I finished it, my husband asked if we could give it too his mom for her birthday. I was shocked that he thought it was something he would want to give to his mom. His mom is/was a total SWEETHEART! She loved it and used it every single day when she took a nap in her recliner. It hung on the back of that recliner for 25+ years. When she past away, I asked my husband if his family would let us have it when things were divided/sorted/thrown. And now it hangs on the back of hubby's recliner and he uses it in the evenings or for naps. It has quite a history.

Thanks for letting me rattle on.

The absolute first? Okay, it was a square (to practice on) that was supposed to end up as a baby blanket for a doll...however, I decided to skip stitches, but neglected to chain between the dc's. (whoops) I was only 10 at the time. The final piece came out looking something like an oval doily. In green WW acrylic, no less, b/c that's what was given for me to use.

The next I can recall was a hotpad...The kind where you sc over rubber canning rings, and overlap/connect somehow...I think I finished it, but I don't recall seeing it recently at my mom's house...but then, that too was in acrylic...not ideal for hotpads. :)

funny.

Archived