what is the very first thing you ever crocheted?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cream-colored granny squares that I made into an afghan. I used cream because that was the yarn my mom had around the house. (I was only 12 at the time).

A giant granny square afghan from all my mother's scraps - until it got so big that we had to actually buy yarn to continue making it! I thought I lost it somewhere in moving, marriage, etc., but my sister ran across it in a storage room that belonged to my mother. She's bringing it to me next weekend - along with all the rest of my mother's yarn :)

Placemats for mom for christmas! I was just learning and thought they'd be a great gift and a great way to practice. Of the 4, not a single one is the same size. I kept trying to measure my chain based on what I'd already done instead of counting :lol

A bunch of bright blue granny squares with other colors in them from the leftovers of my friend's stash. She taught me to crochet in junior high, but she was left handed so it was tough at first. I did make an afghan with those squares. I was awful looking, but I liked it. :clap

A diagonal box stitch afghan in light and dark blue that was supposed to be a gift for someone but I never finished it and didn't crochet again for somewhere around 10 years when I picked it up again and completed my first project which was the Light and Lacy Afghan from a Red Heart Super Saver label in light blue in some soft baby yarn, minus the tassels. The dog ended up destroying it by nesting in it with her long claws.

...a granny square...a very extremely large granny square. It was the first thing I learned to crochet, I couldn't seem to "get it" until she showed me granny square, and I made bedspreads for my boyfriend, his mom and my best friend. I have to admit that at the time I thought they were the cat's meow, but in hindsight, they were more a gift of love than a gift of....pretty. :)

It was a green variegated saddle blanket for my horse. I fringed it with green and white and I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! I was so inspired that I crocheted four more of them for other kids in my 4-H club for Christmas that year in the colors of each of their stables. :)

Well, since I'm a very old woman, and learned to crochet when I was 6 or 7, I learned with thread. The very first thing I made was a butterfly insertion for a bath towel. And I was very proud of myself.

What a great question!:clap

:crochetingMine was a double bed sized afghan made in 4ply (that's sport weight) double crochet, going round... and round... and round. In white, purple and a pinky/purple varigated Panda Big Baby yarn:yarn.

It was for my grandmother who was suffering from Alzheimers and wanted a blanket in the nursing home.

I made it in 2004, and I pulled it out the other day, apart from some rather poor examples of how to make a corner, it's not *awful*:eek.

Manda

A baby hat...a very wonky, way too big baby hat. But I kept practicing those baby hats and eventually got them to look like they might even fit a newborn's head. :D

A drawstring bag. I started crocheting when my mother and I took a continuing ed class, and that was the project. I continued crocheting, my mother gave up right away. (The same thing happened with quilting, although she quilted years ago on a large hoop with the other women in her family.)

an afghan - no granny squares but sc squares. there was a pattern in a family fun magazine (i think)for a baby blanket that i fell in love with - so i made it for a christmas gift for step daughter - what a mistake that was.:(

An afghan, made of dc stitches I learned from my mother-in-law. The first thing I ever made following a pattern was a strawberry potholder. I was so proud of myself to be able to decipher a pattern on my own, and teach myself front post dc!

It was an afghan for my daughter on the way. I took a class at lee wards and learned the popcorn stitch. I still have it for her. And she's 17.

:manyheart

Archived