teachin Tension

tamirive

Question

I am teaching a couple of peaople at work to crochet at lunchtime. The problem that my students seem to have is keeping tension. What I'm trying to say is that the yarn from the finger to the hook is so loose and I can't figure out any tricks for them to use to keep that yarn taut. Also they seem to have problems keeping the yarn looped aroung their finger. Is this something that comes with practice or is there a trick? I learned when I was really young so I don't remember how I learned that. Please help! Thanks!

5 answers to this question

I'm self-taught but can't remember if I had any trouble learning how to hold the yarn. One thought, though, maybe having them loop the yarn around their finger an extra time might help with both the tension problem and the problem with keeping the yarn looped around?

I just learned a little bit ago, and I'm getting better with my tension now, but I had ALOT of trouble at first.

My first project was nothing more than a huge square of sc and dc to learn tension and holding the yarn.

I think it's something that has to come with practice :knit

I was taught 30+ years ago...I don't remember how I got tension right....

I do know that when I work with thread, I have to wrap the thread around my pinky finger twice to keep it taught.

Hi every one ! Thanks for the advise. I have taught them to wrap the yarn around the pinky and that does seem to help alot! I do think It is something that comes with practice. I guess it will just click one day.

I'm teaching busy adults who don't have time to practice. The only time they do is at our lunch time class once a week. So it's a bit frustrating that we are still making a chain for the 2nd week in a row. I know once they get the hang of it they will want to crochet every spare minute like I do. well... like all of us do I guess.

Wish me luck!

Tami

Archived