1948 Workbasket Potholder

MamaDee

I am new to this forum as of today; Found ya'll by searching for a pattern for a potholder that was made by my grandmother, who subscribed to Workbasket when she was alive. I have many of her booklets (workbasket), however, not the one with the original pattern. I found on this forum, in archives (2005) mention of this pattern in a 1948 Workbasket magazine. I do not know what month, however, believe it may be the volume 14, #1 (October 1948), but not sure. This potholder is made by first making a grid, then double-crochetting on top of the grid. I have been able to duplicate the pattern to the best of my abilities, but for nostalgic reasons, would love to know exactly which Workbasket it was first presented. If anyone out there can help me, I would be forever grateful!! I am not sure how to post pictures, but I have pictures of the potholder (my version), which I tried to duplicate from the ones my Grandmother had originally made. HELP!! :D

I can't help you figure out which Workbasket the pattern was in, but I can tell you that there was a CAL for this kind of work here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54581

There are lots of tips and ideas, and pretty finished projects. Hope you figure out the photo thing, so we can see yours too!

Karen: Thank you so much for the link!!! Those were exactly what I've been looking for!!.... and to think, before I found this forum, I thought I had a 'unique' one and only pattern!!! My mind had not expanded outside of the preverbial 'box' to think of making different designs within the grid!! Yours are beautiful!! I'll try to figure out how to upload pics so I can share as well. Mine are just duplicated from those that my grandmother did!! I like the thought of calling it 'squiggling'!! Thanks again for the help on this one....... still wish I could get ahold of the original pattern!! I won't give up until I do!! D.

Karen: Thank you so much for the link!!! Those were exactly what I've been looking for!!.... and to think, before I found this forum, I thought I had a 'unique' one and only pattern!!! My mind had not expanded outside of the preverbial 'box' to think of making different designs within the grid!! Yours are beautiful!! I'll try to figure out how to upload pics so I can share as well. Mine are just duplicated from those that my grandmother did!! I like the thought of calling it 'squiggling'!! Thanks again for the help on this one....... still wish I could get ahold of the original pattern!! I won't give up until I do!! By the way, I have figured out an algarhythm for figuring the number of chains needed for different size grids (odd number grids) ensuring that there is a 'center' (beginning or ending at dead center of grid). For example, if wanting to make a coaster, if you try to use a grid of 11 (eleven), you will end up with a 'hole' in the center, but if using a grid of 13, you will be able to make one last 'square' crochetted in the exact center.

Do you begin your work from the outer rounds? I have always begun in the middle,although I'm sure it could be done either way. I usually crochet my grids "in the round" rather than back and forth, too. All this is making me want to make another one--or at least finish the scrap squiggly I started last summer.

Karen: Yes, usually from the upper right corner. Beg. with 8 dc in corner, then 4 dc in each post; then 2 dc in 'corner' before turning to next post. I will try next time to begin in center and see how quickly that works up!!

FIRST: To figure out the grid size: Take ANY number, 1-10, and multiply by 4; then ADD 1. Example: 1 x 4 = 4 + 1 = 5; your first grid is a 5 x 5; to figure next size larger, take the total (5) and add 4; your next grid size would be 9; the next: 9 + 4 = 13, and so on..... (my grid for coasters is a 13 x 13; my grid for potholders is 21 x 21). I use size 8 steel crochet hook for grid, and size 14 steel crochet hook for squiggly's; size 30 crochet cotton.

NEXT: To figure out how many chains you will need for each grid size, begin with a chain of 7, then chain 3 for each square you will need for grid; turn, DC in 7th chain from hook, chain 2, skip 2 chain; DC in next chain to end; chain 5, turn, dc in dc, chain 2, etc. until your grid is the same number of squares length and width. (grid of 5 will be 5 x 5; 9 = 9 x 9, etc.).....

I've figured out the following for you already:

5 Mesh: Chain 19

9 Mesh: Chain 31

13 Mesh: Chain 43

17 Mesh: Chain 55

21 Mesh: Chain 67

25 Mesh: Chain 79

(If you want larger meshes, just take the Mesh size and add 4 to get the next larger Mesh size....... then to figure out how many chains you need for that mesh size, take the total from the previous size (25 Mesh = 79) and add 12. (25 Mesh = 79; next larger will be a 29 mesh ( 25 + 4 = 29); and chains needed: 79 + 12 = 81 chain). Hope this helps!! I'll post the entire graph and pattern once I figure out how to use the photo thingie!! Also, I would still LOVE to find out which 1948 workbasket this original pattern was in; I am the only one in my entire family that crochets (after my G'ma); none of my aunts, nor my mother; none of my cousins, nor their children, nor mine crochet; I'm making some of these trinkets for a birthday gift for my mother, and would love to have the original pattern in her birthday box for her.

Thanks for all the well wishes, and welcomes!! D.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived