What color won't you crochet with?

What color do you not like to crochet with?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What color do you not like to crochet with?

• Black and browns
    • Greens
    • Reds
    • Blues
    • yellows and oranges
    • others

What color do you avoid crocheting with? Is it because you don't like the color, can't see the stitches well, or other reasons?

Let us know.

I personally don't like blacks and browns because my crochet area is not well lit and it's hard to see at night. If I have to use dark colors, I go outside if the weather is good.

I was afraid of black for a really long time because I couldn't see my work. Hubby really, really, really wanted a black/white ghan so I settled in and worked it and it really wasn't as bad as I thought.

I couldn't check the poll since I can work with any color.

im not a fan of black, due to lighting and simply the colour itself is not to my likening.. i prefer colour and lots of it.. i actually dont have any black yarn at all..

I had to pick yellow and orange, but I don't mind yellow, I DISPISE orange!!! I have never liked orange and I don't think I ever will.

The only way I would use orange is if one of my kids decided that they wanted me to make them something with it. I can't tell my kids no to such a simple request.

I to avoid dark colors since all 5 of my cats have white fur but I do use the dryer to get most of the cat hairs out of the finished projects.

Black can be hard to see, but it hasn't stopped me from using it yet. More than color, I find certain textures to be be difficult to use and therefore off-putting. I will never again buy any kind of novelty yarn--I had to feel where the stitches were as I crocheted because I definitely could not see them!

I voted others because while I'll use black, I hate browns... especially mixed with orange... I also don't like working with pinks, but that's becauese I'm just not a pink person.

I'd also rather work with brights than pastells, especially for babies. I think pastells are weay over-used for babies. Bright colors are so much happier!

For the last year or so I have tried to steer clear of black and navy blue. They put such a strain on my eyes unless I knit or crochet with them in direct sunlight - which is definitely NOT where my armchair is located. I have been thinking about getting one of the OTT lights or something similar, but they are so expensive. Last night I stopped at Joann's on my way home and took a look at just the bulbs. Most of them have specific "plug" areas that don't work in regular sockets, but I found a couple that would. One bulb was $20, which is a lot in my opinion, but I had a 40% off coupon and got it for $13. Still a lot for a bulb, but guess what? Oh my gosh, I can't believe the difference it makes! I started a Delft Delight afghan more than 3 years ago, but when I started using the navy yarn I got disgusted and put it away. I dragged it out last night and was amazed at how well I could now see the stitches. I'm actually going to finish it! Of course, my DD saw it and asked who I was making it for and when I told her that I had no idea, she asked if she could have it because she thought it was gorgeous. I can't tell you how happy I am in that $13 investment.

there isnt any certian color i refuse to crochet with, but I cannot use homespun or fun fur(lion brand) because it's more dificult to see the stiches(nearly imposible for me), i do knit with it if I have to get rid of it

It doesn't matter to me, I will crochet with any color. I recently bought the lighted hooks to use on dark colors but of course, I have had no projects that needed dark colors right now.

I also use brights for babies. I think they are stimulated more with brighter colors. I once did a baby afghan for my supervisor and used bright yellow. She made me laugh when she said her mom was baby-sitting and when baby woke up like they do before falling back to sleep, she started playing with the bright yellow blanket and wouldn't go back to sleep because of the color. Said her mom said she didn't like me (she did but we laughed).

LI Roe

I like them all but I am not found of oranges myself. True it is hard to work with dark colors but if you get yourself a lighted crochet hook what a world of difference it makes. I could even see the stiches on a navy blue ghan I was working on in a movie theater! Love the lighted hooks for dark yarns.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like muted colors better than brights. I use a lot of off-white, cream, sage, browns, taupes, etc. I do love purples, blues & greens, but if they are mixed in together like in the Homespun yarns. I do use some bright colors for babies. I don't care for most oranges either, but I do like coral.

BTW, like someone else said, I have an all white cat, so I certainly can't use purse black anymore & have to wash everything often. I don't know what to do with a 100% Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool afghan (non machine washable) that I used for a blanket for awhile. I noticed one day that cat hair is woven into the stitches. Guess it'll end up at the dry cleaners to see what they can do with it.

I didn't vote because there isn't a color that I won't crochet with. It is the different types of yarn rather than colors.

Ditto.

There is this one yarn I am working with that I seriously have had to feel for the stitches because I can't see them. I have not tried to knit with it but once this project is done, I highly doubt I will ever crochet with it again, regardless of how pretty it might be.

Oh, and I :manyheartorange :D

I've had some difficulty with black or navy yarns, but I still use them. I guess there isn't any color that I absolutely will not use. I don't like orange but I'm making a brain dead aghan right now with a variegated yarn that has oranges, golds, yellows, and reds and it is going to be pretty.

Although I love wearing black, I won't crochet with it because of visibility problems - can't see the stitches! Also, I won't use orange or yellows for myself (can't wear those colors and look alive at all :P), but will happily use them for blankets or gifts.

Archived