why cotton for market bags?

sweetirishct

Question

OK, so I am trying to figure out... You know those market bags, the ones that are really mesh bags? Why do the patterns always call for cotton? Why not an acrylic yarn? Not that I don't like working with cotton, I don't mind at all, but I have a bunch of cheapo cute acrylic at home that I want to use for something other than clothing and afghans. I just don't like the way it feels on my skin. Soooo... I wanna make market bags with it.

Any reason I can't?

TYIA!

10 answers to this question

Personally, I think cotton just will not stretch out as much as the arclic yarn when your market bag is full. The cotton will hold the shape of the bag much better and it is very sturdy.

I second the opinion for stretchiness and sturdiness - other than cotton I've seen them done with nylon cord or hemp (I think)...

Of course, there is no reason you CAN'T make one with acrylic, but you may find it stretchier and less sturdy than you want...

The only trick is to make it just a tad smaller in the acrylic yarn and to work very solid/wide and safe handles on them. The acrylic will stretch qui-i-i-i-i-i-te a bit.

Cotton is also just much softer on the hands so that is why I am recommending that you make wide handles to avoid that cutting effect you get with a rough yarn and a narrow rope like handle.

Also, if you've ever given a nice firm tug on your yarn, sometimes it will break. Cotton will not. I agree with the others. The cotton will have more strength. However, if you want to use the acrylic, you might consider using double or triple strand to give your bag more sturdiness - of course use a smaller than normally required hook as well. It will give a much tighter weave. So what I am saying is don't do double strand and then use a P hook. That will defeat the purpose.

My Pink Camo Shopping Bag was made with acryllic and check out the pic. It was stretched a lot on this occassion, but does not stretch quite a bit any more and the handles are still okay. I've actually been using it everyday since then as a carry all for whatever I need to bring to work with me (yarn, of course, 2 diet cokes, my hardbound weekly planner, and miscellaneous items).

Not all patterns call for cotton.

My Crochet Market Bag Pattern uses simply soft.

My Market Bags also suggests using acryllic.

Cotton can and does work and DOES STRETCH. I've used it also. Green Mesh Bag #2 is one that I did in cotton.

So you can really use any yarn you want, just make sure it will be strong enough to hold everything.

Debbi

You know what works great if you want to use acrylic from your stash?

Carry along size 10 cotton with it.

You can match the color, or use contrasting color for a tweedy effect.

This increases its durability and decreases stretching , I do this all the time with almost any bag/purse I want to make in acrylic.

Hugs

Kath

I agree with the reasons posted for using cotton. It doesn't give as much as acrylic & is usually stronger. Just my thoughts but if I really wanted to use an acrylic, I'd probably make it smaller so that it's not holding a ton of stuff. Also you can make a larger one of the acrylic & use it for the lighter items like rolls & bread, where it's not weighted down as much as cans & produce.

Seems Quietheart and I do the same thing lol.

I love the acrylic yarns as well and I use them (acrylic yarn plus size 10 or 20 cotton thread (doily thread) together). Most times I can find thread to match yarn so it's unnoticeable and does not interfer with hook size. My shopping bags are strong and I am able to use stash yarn for my bags.

Thanks for all the great responses!!:clap

I like the idea of using the acrylic yarns that I love, and carrying along cotton thread. Since I am already half way through my bag using Red Heart in browns/pinks, I will keep in mind the weight thing and maybe use it for my crocheting projects in the future or the light grocery items.

My next bag will be out of cotton though, since I have a full cone of peaches&cream in a white/denim variegated. I hope to get this pattern down and make a few for Relay fundraisers. I think they will sell well, especially with the big push to 'go green' lately...

So if anyone else has easy patterns that crochet up quickly, feel free to post them or PM me!:hook

Archived