Wanna play with filet?

Don't have any pictures...didn't do any crocheting of any kind yesterday...and will see what happens today...

I love the designs I'm seeing from the people here...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been averaging about two rows a day on my antique peacock. I'm about 25% done. I'm waiting for my digital camera batteries to recharge and hopefully post a photo before the week is out.

I am finally making progress on my filet crochet and the pattern I am using is causing me to remember what I learned in beginner's filet crochet course that was given here on the Ville. If only I could learn to use size 10 thread than I really will be happy. I am in love with filet crochet I seem to be so calm and mellow when and at peace with myself when I am working on it. Tammy I love the filet crochet that you made your Mother for Mother's day. I am planning on purchasing that book for I do plan on doing more filet crochet in the future. I am finding out that some filet crochet call for 4 dc for a solid block and two chain to make an open block. Furthermore, the filet crochet that I am working on call for 3 dc for solid block and one chain for the open block, maybe that was the problem that I ran into when I was attempting to do the praying hands filet crochet. I also need to read more into the directions. Enough chatter for now. Many Hugs

Boy, it seems like everyone is flying along!

But as it has turned out, I'm not crocheting at all this week. Our youngest daughter was having trouble that looked a lot like appendicitis so I am at her house helping her for few days. She has turned out to be OK and at least as this point the antibiotic is taking care of it for her and her pain is gone. The thing is, I can't follow a filet chart with three young children all over the place so I am knitting dishcloths instead. Mindless. I'm not sure yet when I will return home. My husband and I will talk about it tonight.

As for what I am making — deep breath — I chose Hugo Kirchmaier's Daffodil Table Runner, as re-charted by Sandi Marshall on About.com. It is enormous and probably a bit too ambitious for a first filet, but honestly, once you get the first few rows set up it's just double crochets and chains until your tongue hangs out or your wrists give up, whichever comes first. :lol I think my problem will be sticking with it. I'm using Cébélia #20 in Blanc (white) with a #9 hook. I'm concerned that I might have to add blank rows in the middle of the daffodil sprays to make it long enough to drape over the edges of my dining table. We'll see.

Any links to what you girls are doing?

Hi!

I made that filet last year and it did nearly do my wrists in!! I could hardly use my left hand after spending 4 whole days trying to finish it.

Now that I've decided to do a filet for the Crochet Greek Games... hmmm.. better find some wrist exercises!!

Good Luck!!!

Manda

I found adding blank rows on the outside of the charted filet would make a better border ...

Hey Carla, I'll keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers...I'm not getting to any filet so far this week...other things keep grabbing my attention...worse comes to worse, maybe next week.

ok i am going to work on my project at horseback riding lessons for my daughter today. I hope to get a few rows done in the hour and a half i am at the stable.

I actually worked on some filet tonight...finally...I'm working on my brother's wedding present and got several rows down tonight...'bout time...not that I haven't been getting other crochet projects done...got 3 little ones done this morning...but it's been a few days since I worked on filet.

Hey Carla, I'll keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers...I'm not getting to any filet so far this week...other things keep grabbing my attention...worse comes to worse, maybe next week.
Thank you, LeAnna. Elizabeth is fine and I am back home. The doctor gave her two antibiotics, one of which was a huge dose of 4 pills all at once, right at the start. Then she began the second antibiotic a few hours later. She started to feel better within hours. He said she had every symptom of appendicitis but that these drugs just might work for her — and thankfully, they have. Her 29th birthday is tomorrow and she is so pleased to NOT be celebrating it in recovery from surgery!

Manda, do you have pictures of your finished Daffodil runner? I plan to not do more than a few rows a day. My hands just can't take it. Sounds like you really had a push going there.

Happy Birthday to your Elizabeth Carla...and I agree, better to be celebrating a birthday not recovering from surgery, that would be no fun...

I would like to join, I have a filet crochet project I want to do. Does it have to be a pattern using only thread. There are several designs that are in yarn or a heavier cotton. I have often made my own designs, but the one I want to do now is someone else's pattern.

I would like to join, I have a filet crochet project I want to do. Does it have to be a pattern using only thread. There are several designs that are in yarn or a heavier cotton. I have often made my own designs, but the one I want to do now is someone else's pattern.

I think you can do any filet in any weight of yarn or thread...I don't think it has to only be in thread...but I'll let the originator of this thread and CAL have the final say on that...welcome to the group.

I got a good 12 or so rows done tonight on my brother's wedding filet. His name is almost done...

I think you can do any filet in any weight of yarn or thread...I don't think it has to only be in thread...but I'll let the originator of this thread and CAL have the final say on that...welcome to the group

Thank You, the reason I ask is with cataracts, arthritis and essential tremors I have had to give up working with the finer threads. But still love doing filet using the heavier cotton or regular yarn.

I've been too busy to crochet for a few days, and I'm going away this weekend (8.5 hour train ride today--thrillsville).

Carla, so sorry about your daughter, but I'm glad she's feeling better. My dh's appendix ruptured 5 months after we married (he was 23). He was so, so sick from the infection spreading through his body. I'm glad she didn't have to have surgery, and hopefully the antibiotics will take of the problem, but surgery before rupture is 1,000 times better than after.

I've been too busy to crochet for a few days, and I'm going away this weekend (8.5 hour train ride today--thrillsville).

Carla, so sorry about your daughter, but I'm glad she's feeling better. My dh's appendix ruptured 5 months after we married (he was 23). He was so, so sick from the infection spreading through his body. I'm glad she didn't have to have surgery, and hopefully the antibiotics will take of the problem, but surgery before rupture is 1,000 times better than after.

I'll be on a 3 hour train ride to Munich this weekend, where are you going to?

Welcome, HappyOldCro! Work your filet in whatever pleases you, of course! There are no Crochet Cops on this board as far as I know! We look forward to seeing what you do. Glad you're here.

:hook

Thank you, Karen. I'm going to e-mail her again this morning to remind her: "take your meds, honey!" I'm just glad they now have antibiotics to take care of this without surgery.

My crocheting for the week is going to be dismally slim. Now we are having dinner guests tonight and will be visiting with these same friends from Italy tomorrow. I look longingly at my hook but can't get to it today! Oh well, next week, right?

Welcome, HappyOldCro! Work your filet in whatever pleases you, of course! There are no Crochet Cops on this board as far as I know! We look forward to seeing what you do. Glad you're here.

:hook

Thank You, I will need the motivation, as I tend to drift away after awhile, :D

I might get to some filet work tonight. I haven't picked up a hook all day...haven't done much of anything today...oh well...such is life.

I managed to get 4 rows doe at thestable yesterday. Not muc crocheting getting done today...too depressed that i did not get another job:angry and spending most of myday sending out resumes again:angry

I managed to get 4 rows doe at thestable yesterday. Not muc crocheting getting done today...too depressed that i did not get another job:angry and spending most of myday sending out resumes again:angry

Hugs...I feel your pain there...

I would like to join this CAL. I am training for the games, and have started swatching.

I am designing my own piece -- have the wording done for the middle (thanks Maria) and now I'm trying to design the border.

I was able to finish a 10 x 10 block at my son's HS graduation yesterday in about 35 min. But that was "freehand" -- not following a pattern. We'll see how I do on a real pattern.

I worked on a border I like last night (just a swatch), but with the INC and DEC blocks, I may have to rethink my games project.

Everyone's pix are lovely! I have made a bunch of thread projects, but not a filet. That is my challenge! Although, the design has been a challenge so far.

Can't wait to see pix. I only have my cell phone camera, and everything comes out blurry -- can't see the detail.

I plan to finish the two baby blankets I have "on hook" this weekend at the beach -- then I have two more to finish in June. I should be in heavy duty training for the games in July.

Hi, Marie Allen! Glad to have you with us. It might be fun to design your own piece like that. Good luck with it.

Chrissy, you're moving along there and looking good! What size is your thread?

I need to get off the computer and get busy finishing my meal for tonight. Wanna know the menu?

Honey-Orange Ginger Chicken

Wild Rice Blend

Broccoli with Hollandaise Sauce

Sunshine Salad (carrots, raisins, apples, pineapple — yum!)

Italian Bread

Chocolate Layer Cake (I like to call this Killer Chocolate Cake, it's so rich and good.)

Tea or Water

Coffee with dessert

Archived