Youthful Memories - 18" Doll (PDF added)

darski

Youthful Memories – 18” doll :pinterest

post-4896-135897589203_thumb.jpg

the PDF is Here:Youthful Memories.pdf

When I was a young teen (a 1,000 years ago) every spring we young ladies would begin the search for an outfit that would be suitable for wearing to church throughout the late spring and summer months. It had to have a certain quality to it and we all knew it when we saw it.

This pattern began with the jacket and I just knew that this would be the ‘going to church in the summer’ outfit that we all wanted. It has had the working titles of Spring Memories and now Youthful Memories… I hope you enjoy this pattern and that it may bring back some memories for you or even start some for others. I wrote these notes a while back so I hope I can still make sense of them. :wlol

I used WW yarn in Rose (discontinued colour) and White. Hook was generally a 5.mm

it all began with a Jacket

post-4896-135897589308_thumb.jpg

With Rose and 5.mm hook… chain 22

Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook, *hdc in 1, 2hdc in next * to end. (32 hdc)

Row 2: hdc in 5, ch1, hdc in 6, ch 1, hdc in 10, ch 1, hdc in 6, ch 1, hdc in 5 . (32 hdc, 4 ch 1 spaces)

Row 3-5: hdc in each hdc and [hdc, ch1, hdc] in each ch 1 space.

Row 6: work as for Row 5 but work a Long hdc in the 4th stitch and in the 4th from the last stitch

Row 7: Work as Row 5 but work BPdc around the two long hdc from Row 6.

Row 8: work as Row 7 with FPdc over post st.

Row 9: Divide out the sleeve stitches on this row…

(with post stitch where needed) Hdc up to and into the 1st ch 1 space. Skip to next ch 1 space then hdc across the back stitches up to and into the next ch 1 space, skip to the next ch 1 space, and work across the front stitches including the post stitch as needed.

Row 10: Continue in pattern but work one decrease on each side of back.

Row 11 -14: Continue in pattern. Break off and tidy all ends.

Sleeves… attach yarn at underarm and work around the armhole using sc in underarm and hdc for the rest for the first 3 rows of the sleeve. Work more rows in hdc until you are happy with the length of the sleeve. As it was a summer outfit, I preferred a short sleeved jacket.

post-4896-135897589312_thumb.jpg
The Skirt … needs a ¼ “ elastic waistband. ( tie a length of ¼ “ elastic around your doll’s waist so that it is stretched but not tight.)

Row 1: With white, work 44 sc around waistband and join. ( Join all rows.)

Row 2-6: work evenly in hdc.

Row 7: ch 2, dc in same st, dc in next *2dc in next, dc in next 2* to end. Ch 1 turn

Row 8: sc in each dc, join ch 2 and turn.
Row 9: Dc in every dc. Secure White but do not break off. (57 dc)

Row 10: Attach Rose and work [hdc in 2, Long dc in next] around the skirt. Secure and break off Rose. Tidy all ends. (this worked evenly for me but fudge if you must

Row 11: pick up the white and work dc in every dc.

Row 12: [dc in 2, 2 dc in next] around the skirt. Break off white and tidy all ends.

post-4896-135897589314_thumb.jpg

The Blouse… a 6mm hook is optional on last row

Note: V-st = [dc, ch 1, dc]

With white … ch 21

Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook and across ((20hdc)

Row 2: ch 1, sc in every st across

Row 3: 2 FPsc in every sc

Row 4: ch 2 (first dc) and dc in every FPsc across. (I ended up with 41 here… don’t ask me how :think )

Row 5: dc in 6, V-st in next, dc in 6, V-st in next, dc in 13, (12 if you had 40 stitches) V-st in next, dc in 6, V-st in next, dc in 6.

Row 6: dc up to and into v st, ch 4, skip to next V-st, dc in V-st, dc across front up to and into V-st, ch 4, skip to next V-st, dc in V-st, dc across back.

Rows 7-9: dc evenly (dc in each ch on row 7)

Row 10: switch to 6.mm hook … dc in 2, *2 dc in next, dc in 3* to end. Break off and tidy all ends.

Tie a small yarn bow (two strands) at centre front or trim in some other way that suits you.

post-4896-135897589315_thumb.jpg

The Hat…

post-4896-135897589317_thumb.jpg

With white and 5.mm hook
Ch 4 and join to form a ring.

Row 1: ch 2, 8 hdc into ring (9 hdc)

Rows 2-6) work standard circle pattern in hdc changing to sc in row 6

Row 2: 2 hdc in every hdc
Row 3: hdc in 1, 2hdc in next
Row 4: hdc in 2, 2hdc in next
Row 5: hdc in 3, 2hdc in next
Row 6: sc in 4, 2sc in next

Row 7: ch 1 flip the hat good side down and work 1 FPsc in every sc.

Row 8: hdc in every FPsc. (54 hdc)

Row 9: work in hdc around arranging 4 decreases evenly. (50 hdc)

Row 10: sc evenly around.

Brim…
Row 11: work 2 FPsc in every sc.

Row 12: dc in every FPsc

Row 13: work another row of dc increasing only if necessary to keep the brim flat. Break off an tidy all ends.

Create a trim for the hat. I used a twisted cord made of 2 strands each of rose and white. I made a second smaller section of the cord to increase the oomph factor and tied it is place with more yarn. Make whatever sort of trim suits you and your outfit.

post-4896-13589758932_thumb.jpg

Purse…

During my teen years, round purses were just the cat’s meow. :wlol

With Rose Ch 4 and join to form a ring.

Row 1: ch 2, 8 hdc into ring (9 hdc)

Row 2: 2 hdc in every hdc
Row 3: SC in 1, 2sc in next.

Row 4: flip the bottom of the purse face down.. work FPsc into every sc. Ch 1 turn

Row 5-6: hdc in every stitch around. Secure Rose but do not break off.

Row 7: with white, work a row of [hdc in 2, Long hdc in next] around purse. Break off and tidy all white ends.

Row 8-9: work 2 rows of DC evenly.

Strap and flap

SC in joining stitch, chain 30 and join with a sc on other side of purse.
( you can make this strap any length you like so play with it and see what works. Most purses in my youth would have had short straps but I want this to stay on the doll for photos hence the longer length)

begin flap… hdc in the stitches between your strap joins.
Flap row 2: work decrease on first and last stitches

Flap row 3-6: work evenly in hdc

Flap row 7: sc in 2, ch 5 (button loop) sc in last
2 stitches. Pick a really fabulous button for this purse.

post-4896-135897589322_thumb.jpg

Shoes: with Rose

Sole row 1: Ch 6, 2sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next, hdc in next 2, 5 hdc in end ch, hdc in 2, sc in next, 3 sc in beginning stitch.

Row 2: sc in every sc and 2 sc in the top 3 ‘toe’ stitches. Work extra sc in heel area if needed. Ch 1 and flip sole over.

Uppers: work FPsc in every sc from sole and join.

Row 2: hdc in ever FPsc but work at least 1 decrease in the heel area. You want these shoes to fig snugly and the heel area is a good place to do this on row two.

Row 3: work hdc around but work 5 decreases in the toe area. Break off and tidy all ends.

Trim if you wish. I had enough trimmings elsewhere so I did not add anything here.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2008

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

Edited by darski
typo
  • Like 6

Yep, it's been about a thousand years since I was a young teen, too. I remember the year I was thirteen. I got a new dress for Easter (the first really bought new dress I'd ever had. My mama made all my clothes that weren't hand-me-downs) and it had to be something I could wear to church. Thanks for the memory and thanks for the pattern. It is really lovely.

• Like 1

Very pretty! Definately the outfit! I could see an entire gaggle of girls coming up with that same outfit, in different colors, a nice turquoise or yellow... they would look like so manny pretty spring flowers.

I would love to see a whole spectrum of colours done in this pattern. they would be lovely to scroll through and just :drool

So there is the challenge ladies... post a pic of your outfit so we can see all the colours in one place. Oh and if you do post, would you give me permission to copy your pictures to a folder at the Y group to show how it looks in different colours?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have done a lot of crocheting, but the turning process has always been listed. Several of the patterns I want to try, like this one, doesn't mention how to tun to the next row. Can you please help me out, so I can start on the project?

Madison

I have done a lot of crocheting, but the turning process has always been listed. Several of the patterns I want to try, like this one, doesn't mention how to tun to the next row. Can you please help me out, so I can start on the project?

Madison

some you just don't turn, you work in the round. I haven't read this pattern yet though.

Madison

Everyone has their own favourite method for turning and you should just use whatever method you like most.

I don't give the specific instruction because I am trying to get people to think while they crochet rather than getting locked into ...gotta-follow-every-word-in-this-pattern-even-if-it-has-a-typo.

So many crocheters get themselves locked in and then they can't move forward at all until someone comes and holds their hands. You know about turning - just apply what you know and I would guess that your craft will improve and you may even start creating your own patterns. :yay

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for patterns for 18" dolls (to fit American Girl doll). My granddaughter is always asking if I've found any new crochet patterns.

The only comment I have besides how Great the pattern looks is that it would helpful to add yarn weight and type.

Thanks

I've been looking for patterns for 18" dolls (to fit American Girl doll). My granddaughter is always asking if I've found any new crochet patterns.

The only comment I have besides how Great the pattern looks is that it would helpful to add yarn weight and type.

Thanks

I used WW yarn in Rose (discontinued colour) and White. Hook was generally a 5.mm

That information was in there. It just happened to be the first non-bolded text.

• Donna changed the title to Youthful Memories - 18" Doll (PDF added)