In the Round; first stitch where??

NeedSleep

Question

3 answers to this question

My understanding is that you do not touch the "turning" chain at all (unless the pattern specifically states to do so).

Typically you join with sl st to the first sc of the round you are working on, then you chain one and sc into the same stitch you joined to.

(Also, unless the pattern specifically states, I typically do not turn when working in the round - I always keep the same side up. The ch-1 is not so much a turning chain as a get-to-the-right-height chain...).

Cheers,

Marika

Like Marika said, in most patterns, when working in the round, you normally do not turn the work but continue working rounds from the same side of the work. In this case, the ch2 or ch3 is considered the first stitch. Once you have the initial round (worked in the magic circle or the first chain), the next round will be twice as many stitches. In this round, the initial ch2 or ch3 counts as the first stitch, and you will make the next stitch into the same space as the joining on the first round. The third stitch will be in the next stitch of the round.

Here's a little mini tutorial I did a while back.

Hope that helps. It's a little tricky to get it right the first time. Books are just about useless in teaching working in the round because stitch definition is pretty poor in book drawings.

Here's a little mini tutorial I did a while back.

Very nice tutorial. Very clear. However, she is asking about working in sc, not dc I believe.

In sc, the turning chain does not count as a stitch. As Marika said when working in the round, it is not so much a turning chain as a get-to-the-right-height chain. You CAN turn when working in the round and some patterns will have you do that, but generally speaking if the pattern does not specify, then you do not turn.

To answer your initial question, when working the next round, you do not work a stitch into the turning chain. You would work it in the stitch itself.

If you have trouble, you can count stitches to be sure you are working the correct number.

Playing around with it will show you what gives the look YOU want - don't be afraid to experiment.

Archived