Ok....I'm just gonna do it...makin' a tablecloth

craftimama

I love threadwork and have made many many doilies, ornaments, etc. But never anything big.

I had a tablecloth made by my grandmother for years until it finally fell apart because the thread was so old. I found a similar pattern online a few months ago, but the idea of making a tablecloth was just a bit intimidating.

I now have enough vintage thread in ecru to make the cloth. It's a bit scary to start a project this big...but I'm going to do it!

Has anybody here crocheted a tablecloth in thread, or in the process of making one? I'd love to see photos! :)

This is the pattern I'm using: http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/ABDesign7319.html

Hugs! Juli

Good Luck Juli!

I plan on starting a round one someday, soon, right now I have way to much on my plate, not just crochet wise, life wise! so I have to put it off until the dust settles and I can really focus on it.... I look at it as a fun and very rewarding project.... to think in a matter of time you'll be sitting at your table and you can look down and feel accomplished "yeah I made that" hehe :D well at least that's how I picture it happening when I get to making one and finishing it!

Again good luck and I can wait to see progress!

I have made several tablecloths over the years. Well worth the effort. But let me recommend you use new thread, and not vintage thread. Your grandmothers fell apart because the thread wore out. Why start your's half worn out. It's a lot of work to make a tablecloth so you want it to last as long as possible. So use the best thread possible. Vintage thread is most likely to have already started to break down. Using a good thread now will save you a lot of heartbreak later.

I have done a Queens Anne's Lace and about 5 round tableclothes over the years. Both my daughthers received one. Unfortunately I did those before I ever thought of taking pictures of them. I only have one rnd one left that is rather well worn. It's packed away in a box as I don't have the heart to part with it. I did it in size 30 thread and it was my favorite.

The latest one I have done is my Snowfields tablecloth which is a 60 inch round tablecloth I designed last year. You can see it here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60587&highlight=snowfields+Tablecloth

Best of luck to you on your endeaver.

I am playing around with the idea-can't decide if I want it to be a tablecloth or a bedspread. Also, I have stitched several blocks in different weights of threads, but haven't made that final commitment yet! If I wouldn't have a king size bed.......

Congratulations!!! You will be so happy when you get one made, I LOVE to make tablecloths......I have made the Snowfields that Katchkan designed last year, I have made several different pineapple ones, once you make one you will be hooked.... But I agree with Katchkan, use the best thread you can afford, it is alot of work to make one and you want it to last...I use DMC for mine, Good luck and can't wait to see your finished project.....

I made few table cloths too, I too agree with Kathy and Vonnie about the threads.

I find that it is much easy going when I work with squares/circles. (I like the one you picked)

I will post pictures shortly :)

Demet

I have never made a table cloth, but I did just make a square from that pattern for my mom to use as a pillow topper. With size 10 thread and a size 7 hook (and probably too much stretching when I blocked it), it's probably a 16 inch square. It's a nice pattern and really easy to do. A few things were a bit tricky, but be careful when you follow the directions. If I were to make it again, I'd use a smaller thread and a smaller hook. Good luck!

I started the first motif last night to see how I was going to like the pattern. I'm using size 30 thread and a #10 hook, and it just crochets like a dream. :)

I think I was "meant'' to make this tablecloth. I found the pattern just totally by accident, and it looks so much like grandma's. Just sitting there doing the first few rows brought back a lot of great memories of her. And it makes me appreciate how the women of her generation, and those before that, did without a lot of the conveniences we find totally necessary now. She spent hours and hours and hours making her tablecloth, and the napkins, placemats and other thread items she had to use for Sunday dinner. She passed away nearly 30 years ago. It feels good to remember her. :)

This tablecloth project is for nostalgia reasons, and to see how I do on a large project like this and with all the joining, etc. If I can do this one, then there are other more intricate projects I'd love to try. :)

I'm going to enjoy working on this in the evenings. It's just so relaxing for me. :) Great way to de-stress! :)

Hugs! Juli

I'm working on a large square tablecloth worked in size 20 thread. I'm using Celtwich's Summer Snowflake pattern.

The tablecloth is my summer project. This will be my 3rd summer working on it-amongst other things. It's too hot here in the desert to work with wool or acrylic so I drag out the tablecloth each summer. I've memorized the pattern and the motifs join as you go. I'm taking it on our road trip next week. I'll get over 26 hours to work on it. I hope I can finish it before we reach S.C. and then I can work on something else on the way home. If not, then I get 26 hours return trip to finish it.

Don't know what I'll do once it's finished. Start another one?

Michelle in Southern AZ

I'm working on a round one right now for a friend's wedding gift. I started it as a way to get better at my thread work & I love the way it is working out. The pattern I'm using is

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/RoundAndRound.html

I'm planning to post pictures when I'm finished - but the wedding isn't until July, so I'm only about 1/2 finished!

Archived