Can you read and crochet at the same time?

Can you crochet and read at the same time  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Can you crochet and read at the same time

• Yes!
    • No
    • I don't know, I've never tried
    • Other - please explain

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can read and do simple rounds if I don't have to do a lot of counting or color changing. My mother used to read, crochet and watch TV at the same time and she could hold a conversation too because we used to try to get her to lose her place in one of the three by asking questions.

• 1 month later...

I :book while I run on the treadmilll or elliptical machine at the gym, and I read while I blowdry my hair but I can't read and crochet at the same time - I wish I could though! Like another poster, I use a good book as an incentive to finish certain crochet projects - just 1 more square, row, etc. and then I get to read :D

Kris

There is no way I could read and crochet. I can crochet and watch tv or listen to the radio or cd player. I can read and watch tv or listen to the radio or cd player. But no way hosea can I read and crochet. I've crocheted while riding in the car or on the bus to and from work. When we go to Louisville which is about a three hour trip from our house in Nashville to my sister's in Louisville I crochet. The only problem I have is I have a tendency to fall asleep while riding in the car. Then I drop my hook on the car floor and can't pick it up until we get to a rest stop. So I have to carry more of whatever size hook I'm using so I can continue crocheting. Also I can't snack and crochet. At least I don't allow myself to snack while crocheting. Otherwise I would be bigger than I am now. I do let myself have a beverage to sip on while crocheting. Nothing alcoholic though because either me or the crochet work would get loopy. More than likely it would be me. Also I can't walk and talk at the same time. Either I forget what I'm saying or I forget where I need to place my foot. I guess that's how I end up with my foot in my mouth at times.:rofl

• 2 weeks later...

I answered other. If I am doing a pattern that I am quite familiar with and needs no real counting or paying attention I can listen to an audiobook at the same time. Otherwise no, its all I can do to read a pattern and crochet.

K

If the stitches are the same, over and over, it is easy to read and crochet at the same time. Just lay a ruler, clear, over the pages and read around and under it. Works for me. .I also read, watch TV and listen to by husband at the same time. I can't be just sitting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
:eek WOW! I don't know how you all do it. I can watch tv or visit while crocheting but thats about my limit. :juggle Even the reading and walking thing is difficult unless its a mag. I would have to get the audio book to do both. Although I take crochet or a book in the car so while I'm waiting in line at bank or similar I can get in a few stiches or lines.

I finally got a phone that has mp3 capabilities and I download free audio books from the local library. I love that I don't miss anything like I do with tv and movies. There is no way I can visually read and crochet at the same time. I can multitask alot of things, but not those two things. lol

• 6 months later...

I can do that when the pattern is very repetitive, and when there aren't many chs. I find that when the pattern has a lot of chs I count them in my head, so I can't read while I do it. However, making my daughter's blanket I read a whole book. No counting or chs.

I voted no, although I've never tried. I have an awkward time when trying to learn pattern repetition on a piece...holding the work, trying to read. About that point I drop my hook on the floor also.

Once I memorize the pattern, I can sort of watch tv as I crochet.

humm, i can scratch my head, and rub my tummy at the same time, I can chew gum and walk at the same time, I can even sleep and snore at the same time, but I never tried reading, unless it's a pattern of course, and crocheting at the same time, so Im gonna go with , No, not yet. for my answer!

I see this one has been around a while and has popped back up. I "read" and crochet at the same time. I have a Kindle and it will read to me as I crochet. I wear headphones because I too easily get distracted. It works out great for me.

Archived