Can you read and crochet at the same time?

Can you crochet and read at the same time  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Can you crochet and read at the same time

• Yes!
    • No
    • I don't know, I've never tried
    • Other - please explain

:laughroll:laughroll If I tried to crochet, "watch" tv, and chew gum, i'd probably forget what I was doing, swallow the gum, and have to have a Heimlich!

I hear about that guy Heim all the time.... and wonder what kind of magic he's got in his tongue......

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't crochet and read at the same time unless the book is a 'put-down' - one I can abandon quickly if I get called away. One thing I have done to be able to read at the same time as doing something else is to use a piece of heavyweight clear plastic. It's usually heavy enough to keep a paperback book open. If it's not, I weight the ends down with something.

Jimbo: Oh dear, lol... smutty mind this morning!

I can do both if I'm crocheting something simple like the squares to make a quilt look afghan; its so simple that you can feel for the stitches instead of taking your eyes off what you are doing. My mom swears she has seen me crocheting while napping in my rocker when I was sick in nov.

:lol I can do both. Read a few lines or a page. Then crochet some. I have fallen asleep while crocheting. My MIL said I was snoring when I was asleep too. :rofl I dropped some stitches, so had to re-do the row. Bummer. That would have been a good way to catch up on some WIP's.

Yuppers!:yes:yes:yes I love to read and crochet - BUT due to my neuropathy in my hands pages can be a little to frustrating to turn as they can be too hard to feel sooooooo....I am involved in my states library audio book program and I pop in a book into my machine and crochet away!!!:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting while I "read"!

I started doing this when a friend lent me an audio book and also in the car when I am a passenger (phew! didn't want to make you too nervous on that one!!!:lol) I pop a book in and go!

It is especially great in the wintertime when I get sick of being cooped up and the only option feeling like TV - the books are a nice break and my hubby likes listening with me too!:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way I would be able to read and crochet. Well I can a little bit but I can't read a book that I'm reading for fun. I love to watch movies or tv while crocheting although I tend to listen to the tv more than watch.

No, I can't either. I sure wish I could. Sometimes, I just have to put my hook down and read a book. But that's ok. Crocheting and reading are my two favorite things to do.

:manyheart

I can do it, but only if it's a simple repeat pattern & a book I don't have to think too hard to follow. It helps if it's a book I've downloaded from online, that way I just have to look at the computer screen instead of holding the book open. What book did you get?

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, not very well. I can crochet and watch TV, crochet and listen to the pastor, crochet and listen to music, crochet and listen to anything, but not a physical book very often.

HOWEVER, since my school classes are on video (DVD, actually), I can crochet, take notes, AND do assignments while watching my classes! :lol

I can 1/2 watch tv and crochet but not read. When I read I like to get absorbed into the book, if I was crocheting I couldn't do that. Kudos to those that can.

Same here.

That's why I got an MP3 player to listen to books while I crochet because I do like to read too. Sometimes it's hard to decide to read or crochet. Unless I have a gift or project I just have to finish, then I crochet. And sometimes crochet wins out anyway... :hook

Debbi

I also walk and read too.

My parents broke me of that habit. The geniuses came up with the bright idea to ground me from reading. :eek

(…Okay, so maybe they thought of it because I was reading instead of doing my chores—*cough* and homework—and the habit-breaking was an unforeseen but much-liked side effect. :blush)

I've never actually tried to read and crochet at the same time, but I know I don't have that many hands. Hm… Maybe, if it were an e-book, I could scroll with my toe. That might work. The audiobook idea would be easier, though. (Check your local library.)

I know the watching something while crocheting works—slows down the crochet, but keeps it from getting too terribly boring.

Multitasking takes practice. I don't know if it's more of a how-you're-wired thing or not, but it at least takes that. When in elementary school, I could juggle reading six books at once and remember what page I was on in each of them, lead my mom back to the car without getting lost in the parking garage, and find our way back home.

Moving to South Carolina kinda destroyed that last ability, thanks to roads designed to confuse you and that have no more logic to them than the cows liked that route so it was easy to pave. The other ones have been lost in the world of "I stopped practicing it, so my brain doesn't remember it anymore." (Or maybe it has more to do with all the fantasy writing I've been doing; keeping several worlds in your head at once can get confusing.)

*sighs* Losing your car in the cinema parking lot is not fun at midnight, especially when your younger-but-bigger ADD brother who can't get much of anywhere without his GPS knows perfectly well where his car is...

*shrugs* Hope I amused you. If not, at least bear in mind that trying any new multi-tasking skill will take awhile to get the hang of.

• 4 weeks later...

I can read while crocheting only IF it's a repetitive stitch pattern... I of course have to turn the pages which gets annoying but it can be done... I usually sit on the couch to do so and prop the book on the armrest and hold one page down with my elbow... sounds awkward but I've done it lol

No, I can't do both. I'm a bookaholic and compulsive reader. I really like to get lost in my books, so I couldn't possibly concentrate on my crocheting.

I schedule my time for reading as for everything else.

Would love to do both, but just can't.

Betty G.

I haven't tried reading and crocheting at the same time. Usually i's TV instead. But I do want to try to combine crochet with the elliptical...hopefully I won't maim myself or anyone around me.

My parents broke me of that habit. The geniuses came up with the bright idea to ground me from reading. :eek

Okay I am cracking up. My parents used to do the same thing to me. I was always getting caught with a flashlight under the covers trying to read. And when the took the flashlights away I would lay in the floor with the bedroom door cracked open just a bit so I could see to read from the light from the living room.

I've tried to read and crochet but I only do a few stitches at a time and then look down so I don't know if that counts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can and do read and crochet at the same time, but my patterns are very simple stitches when I do both. If I use a pattern that I have used before, my muscle memory seems to take over and I just zone out. Of course, I have had to rip out a few rows a number of times as I don't pay enough attention to what I am doing.:D

Archived