Can you read and crochet at the same time?

Can you crochet and read at the same time  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Can you crochet and read at the same time

• Yes!
    • No
    • I don't know, I've never tried
    • Other - please explain

This might seem like a silly question, but I have a dilemma.

I finally got a book that I pre-ordered 7 months ago and I'm dying to read it, but I have a starghan that I have to get done for my cousin's graduation gift. I have tried to do both at the same time but it's useless. I have to watch what I'm crocheting and therefore am unable to to follow the story not only that it's hardcover and over 600 pages and can't find a way to keep it open, lol.

So, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who can do both???

And if so, could you please tell me you secret of how you manage it, lol!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I know I can't. I've tried since I had the same problem you did of finally getting the book but working on a project. I now read in spurts. I give my hand a rest and read and then go back and crochet. I will read more in the summer because I am outside on the patio and the yarn is hot on my lap so I don't crochet as much.

Sorry I couldn't help

I used to read a lot of historical romances, which could cut down on my crochet time, but I found out that if I were were on some type of square that I had memorized, I could enjoy both at the same time.

I used to read a lot of historical romances, which could cut down on my crochet time, but I found out that if I were were on some type of square that I had memorized, I could enjoy both at the same time.

I still couldn't do it. I need to be able to look and see where my stitches are supposed to go. Although I guess I can kinda read since I crochet a lot while working my part time job. But then again, we have a script for that and that I have memorized :lol

I would think you'd need to devote your attention to one or the other. Multi-tasking is fine but I can't imagine these two going together. I'd be too stressed out from dropping the book, dropping the work, forgetting what I was reading, forgetting what row I was on ... Maybe get a book on CD and have it read to you while crocheting. That's about the only way I can think of doing it.

Well seeing as I have enough trouble reading a pattern while I crochet :lol

I know I couldn't read a book at the same time!!! because of my meds that allow me to sit and crochet, and that I'm loopy due to that!!! :think

This is no lie lol Once I was crocheting, reading to my little boy, petting my dog with my foot and watching tv with the other eye. LOL Usually I am crocheting and either walking, riding my stationary bike or watching tv. I don't like to just do one thing at a time. I also walk and read too.

It would never work for me. I like watching TV while I crochet, but even then I often find myself so focused on my crochet that I have no idea what's going on in the show anymore, or so focused on the show that my hands have gone still!

I'd just try to power through that starghan knowing I have the book waiting for me as a reward once I get done. :D

It would never work for me. I like watching TV while I crochet, but even then I often find myself so focused on my crochet that I have no idea what's going on in the show anymore, or so focused on the show that my hands have gone still!

This is exactly what I do! I have to look at my crocheting. If I'm working on a granny square I can do a few stitches while looking at the tv, but that is all. I also cannot read or do anything while riding in a car. I've known one person who would knit while reading or walking.

All of my thinking is very visual. Even if I could crochet while looking at something else, I'm not sure I would really enjoy it. I'm also more of a "process" crocheter---the doing of it is at least as important to me as the finished product.

If i could find literature online and read it on the screen, without having to hold a book... that would work... but that would get really hard on the eyes.... going back and forth and all.

I think if you had a simple pattern that you could do without having to look at it, then you should be able to read and do the crochet at the same time!

Here is a book weight that will help you keep that hardback book open.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=17-671|Level=2-3|pageid=2247&cm_ven=Google&cm_ite=bookweights&engine=Adwords&keyword=bookweights&SITrackingID=6262759

Now I am sure someone here will make one of these things with some buckwheat or something! Just pm me after you design it so I can test the pattern for you!!!

I have done this, at work. It was relatively easy to arrange myself in my chair, leaning back a bit so there was room in my crossed leg for the book, the crochet being between me and the book. I was working on something rather mindless, and the books was a series book, and I was intimately familiar with all the main characters. I'd peek at my work and return to the page I was reading. (Reading patterns is different, you've gotta decode, and then do what you're reading about) I wouldn't recommend this for routine reading, but it worked for me. I prefer audio books.

This is no lie lol Once I was crocheting, reading to my little boy, petting my dog with my foot and watching tv with the other eye. LOL Usually I am crocheting and either walking, riding my stationary bike or watching tv. I don't like to just do one thing at a time. I also walk and read too.

I haven't actually tried, but assume I would not be able to read and crochet at the same time. I can combine reading with many other activities (TV watching, walking, etc) I can combine crocheting with similar activities, but both take enough of the same type of attention that I don't think I could do both at the same time (effectively, at least :)...)

Marika

I chose other. I haven't tried reading yet, but I'm notorious for talking on the phone, smoking, drinking coffee, playing with my dog, holding a conversation with my son, watching T.V. playing on the computer and crocheting at the same time. (If not on the phone then visiting with company, hehe)

In fact I just got busted on it at Micheal's today. My girlfriend and I went to pick up some hooks and we were chit chatting with the clerk. She mentioned how her friend multi-tasks and my girlfriend pointed at me! I was busted. I didn't realize how much I do this till she grumbled at me! :laughroll

Sore

:cheerYes, I often do, as long as it is a book which will lay flat on my knee.

It can get very annoying when the pages keep flipping over when I dont want them to so a nice flat book or magazine is good.

I can keep track of the TV at the same time too.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I need to look at what I am crocheting. Have you tried listening to audio books? Maybe that would be an option. I checked out two at my public library yesterday and was able to work while listening last night. Perhaps next time you could try an audio version??

I've been going back and forth between the two. The book is awesome and completely worth the 7 month wait! I read the book while DH is watching his shows or the kids are watching theirs and right before bed. I've been crocheting during my shows (I can watch TV and crochet just fine) and in the car while DH drives.

The book is so long I can't put off the starghan, but I have been anxiously waiting so long for the book that I can't put it off either, LOL!

Thats a good one!!! Heck, I can't crochet and crochet at the same time! If i'm lucky, i can whittle and listen to the radio at the same time, but if i throw in gum chewing... well that's why i keep bandaids handy.

Jimbo

The only other thing I can do while reading a book is snack. The only other thing I can do while crocheting is watch t.v. and I have to look down every few seconds to see where to put the stitch. So NO... I can't read and crochet at the same time.

But then I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, either. Ha, ha.

I wish I could...My reading has definitely taken a backseat to my crocheting. I can crochet and watch TV, unless it's a complicated pattern--then I lose all track of what's going on with the TV show.

Thats a good one!!! Heck, I can't crochet and crochet at the same time! If i'm lucky, i can whittle and listen to the radio at the same time, but if i throw in gum chewing... well that's why i keep bandaids handy.

Jimbo

The only other thing I can do while reading a book is snack. The only other thing I can do while crocheting is watch t.v. and I have to look down every few seconds to see where to put the stitch. So NO... I can't read and crochet at the same time.

But then I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, either. Ha, ha.

:laughroll:laughroll If I tried to crochet, "watch" tv, and chew gum, i'd probably forget what I was doing, swallow the gum, and have to have a Heimlich!

I can do both if I'm crocheting something simple like the squares to make a quilt look afghan; its so simple that you can feel for the stitches instead of taking your eyes off what you are doing. My mom swears she has seen me crocheting while napping in my rocker when I was sick in nov.

I can read and knit at the same time, in fact always do so, but never crochet. I think it is because while knitting you simply push the stitches along the needle, but while crocheting you have to look at where to insert the hook.

Archived