Dyeing/Handpainting 100% cotton yarn

deneen

you need RIT or Dylon dye.. and then what i do .. is use my microwave like with the wool.. to keep it hot so the colour takes.. i have gotten good results like this using the RIT dye.. they dylon i used was a cold dye..

I read another thread that said the RIT ran and bled. I found this site that used Kool-Aid http://www.kissyourshadow.com/koolaid_yarn.php. Tell me what you think Beth-

Also, Dharma Trading has a ton of links about cotton dyeing (and supplies).

I really don't like RIT dyes after a bad experience in junior high school (heh) but the Procion fiber reactive ones I do like -- they require a mordant (generally soda ash) and it's toxic, which I know is probably a little frightening with Elena! :)

i used kool aid with cotton .. got very very light colouring.. not as nice a result as i got with RIT.. i didnt find the rit any more "runny" than the kool aid... i soaked my cotton .. put the rit on with the baster.. rolled it up and zapped it.. will take a pic of my results.. let me get my camera LOL

I've never tried tie-dye cords though I was tempted to buy some the other day at AC Moore (they were on sale)...

I've never tried tie-dye cords though I was tempted to buy some the other day at AC Moore (they were on sale)...

I am going to try to get some this weekend and try them out on the cotton. If you should get there, pick me up a package and I'll pay you (please!!)

I am going to try to get some this weekend and try them out on the cotton. If you should get there, pick me up a package and I'll pay you (please!!)

I'm going to try to make it over there tomorrow (er, today) and if they're still on sale, I'll pick you up a package! :)

[my best friend from the past 13+ years called me a week or two ago and wants to start knitting/crocheting, so I am making her a fiber-newbie care package. I need to pick up a few extra notions and the like, so AC Moore it is!]

Archived