Lemony Bear Filet Crochet Baby Afghan

Hope you like this pattern! Please tell me what you think!

I designed this filet piece as a project you could get done in a week-end. I used Bernat Softee that I doubled. If you wanted to, a single strand of a soft worsted would make be a good substitute. I do like how the 2 strands of baby yarn feel, though.

I have given my own directions for the extended double crochet in my own words. If you would like to make the bear in double crochet, go right ahead! It will just be a little squat but still charming. Feel free to weave a ribbon through the holes of his bow tie.

I retain all copyrights to my pattern and grant that you may use the pattern for personal use only. The product made or the pattern itself may not be sold. You may not profit from my work.

LemonyBeartext.jpg

Lemony Bear Filet Baby Afghan by Maria Merlino Copyright 2008

Finished Size = 36 inches x 38 inches

Materials:

Bernat Baby Softee light (worsted #3) (5 oz/455 yds/140g per skein)

3 skeins #2003 Lemon, 1 skein #2000 White

Size J/5.00mm and size I/9/5.5mm crochet hooks

Scissors

Yarn needle

Gauge: 6 edc =2 inches 2 rows = 2 inches.

Notes:

Solid Block = (4 edc) the last dc is also the 1st dc in the next block or space.

Example:2 blocks= 7 edc, 5 blocks = 16 edc

Space (open block) = (edc, ch 2, skip 2 sts, edc in next st)

Yarn is worked double throughout

Special Stitches:

Extended double crochet (edc): Extended double crochet (edc): yo hook, insert hook into stitch, pull up a loop, yo, draw through one loop on hook only-3 loops on hook remaining, yo, draw through 2 loops on hoop, yo, draw through rem 2 loops on hook.

V st= (dc, ch 2, dc) in same st.

Instructions:

Row 1: With 2 strands of Yellow, and J hook, ch 90, switch to I hook, edc in 4th ch from the hook and in each rem ch. Turn,( 87 edc)

Row 2: Ch 3, (counts as the first edc now and throughout), edc in each of next 3 edc,

(ch 2, skip next 2 sts, edc in next st) 26 times, ch 2, skip next 2 sts, edc in each rem 4 edc. Turn (1 block, 27 sp, 1 block)

Row 3-39: Following chart, work rem of pattern. At end of row 39, ch 1; turn.

Begin Border:

LemonyBearBorder.jpg

Rnd 40: 2 sc in first st, sc in each st across to last st, 3 sc in last st, working down edge and working around the post of the ch-3 or the edc, 3 sc around each end of row, working across bottom chain, sc in each rem ch sp to last ch, 3 sc in last ch sp, working up the side, 3 sc around each end of row, sc in the st where the first 2 sc were worked, insert hook into first sc, drop yellow, pull up white, leaving a long beginning tail. Cut yellow leaving a long length to weave in.

Rnd 41: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, 2 sc in same st, (sc in each sc, working 3 sc in center sc of each corner) around to end sc, sc in same st where first 2 sc were worked, sl st in first sc.

Rnd 42: Ch 5, dc in same sp (counts as first V-st), (skip 2 sts, V- st in next st) around making sure you work the corner V-st in the center sc of each corner. Join with a sl st to beg ch 3.

Rnd 43: Sl st to center of beg V-st, (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2dc) in same sp, in each center of V-st, work (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) around. Join with a sl st to top of beg ch 3.

Rnd 44: Sl st across to center sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same sp, in each center ch 2, work (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) around. Join with a sl st to first ch-3.

Rnd 45: Sc in same st, sc in each of next 2 dc, in ch 2 sp work (sc, ch 3, sc in 3rd ch from the hook, sc), * sc in each of next 3 dc, in ch 2 sp, work (sc, ch 3, sc in 3rd ch from the hook, sc), sc in each of next 3 dc*, rep bet the *’s around. Join with a sl st to first sc. Fasten off. Weave in yarn tails.

GraphTeddyBearAfghanOnemotifprint.jpg

You can find a larger chart on my blog:

http://crochetliving.blogspot.com/2008/05/lemony-bear-filet-crochet-baby-afghan.html

:hug THANK YOU!!

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! I am pregnant and due mid-October! I am definitely going to be making this for my "little one"! I am going to have my soon to be 7 year old son help me pick out yarn.

I'm so happy for you!

• 1 month later...

Hi Maria - Thank you - soooo much for the graph. Just to let you know I used it to make an afghan for a new baby called Sam. I used I Love This Yarn in Crayon for the background and Pattons double knitting wool in a dark blue shade for the teddy and to put his name across the top. I did the background in sc and the name and teddy in puff stitch. His Mum just loved it!

• 5 months later...

Archived