frogrockr

A Crochet Olympics for 2008

I think this sounds like fun! I'd better start training. Gotta build up all the muscles used for crocheting and er, sitting.

I'm In!!! :cheer:clap Let the Games Begin!!! :hook:crocheting

I think this sounds like fun! I'd better start training. Gotta build up all the muscles used for crocheting and er, sitting.

I've got the sitting "muscles" covered for about 5 people! :lol

And I agree, this sounds like loads of fun- I'm definitely interested! :hook

I'm definitely interested in this, but can not definitely commit. One thing that worries me is the stipulation mentioned in an earlier post of only being able to crochet on your Olympic items "while the Olympics are on for that day" - I am in Australia and already miss out on some things (like ever making it to be a tester on many patterns, especially Katchkan's as they tend to be posted at about 2 am my time and get filled before I am even awake :)...), if the crocheting times are worked out according to US time zones, I am pretty much stuffed :)!

Thanks,

Marika

I'm definitely interested in this, but can not definitely commit. One thing that worries me is the stipulation mentioned in an earlier post of only being able to crochet on your Olympic items "while the Olympics are on for that day" -

Marika, don't worry about that part. That's just how the Olympics were organized last time. With this group being so international in scope, and each different country having different hours of coverage per day, it would be incredibly difficult to try to figure this kind of thing out. Heck, even in the US, so many channels are running re-runs of that day's events that somebody with enough cable or satellite stations could probably find some sort of coverage 24 hours a day!

I think it will just be easiest to say start crocheting at the beginning of the opening ceremonies, stop crocheting when the flame goes out, and crochet as much as you want to in between those times! Then it's as fair as possible to everyone.

Of course, with China being across the world from North and South America, we may be at a bit of a disadvantage this time around, since the real time of the opening and closing ceremonies may occur when we're all asleep! :lol

Did everybody notice that I've already created a nice new folder to hold all of our Crochet Olympics threads? It's not ready to be used yet, though. It's just sitting there as a teaser. :D

As soon as Donna and I finish working out the guidelines for the Crochet Olympics 2008, we'll get them posted and start an Olympics Training thread. Then we can all use that thread to discuss our official training events: pattern selection, yarn selection, swatching, and so on!

Thanks Amy and Donna. An Olympics event sounds like fun! I hope "New Neighbors" will be allowed to participate. I'm looking forward to seeing the guidelines.

Thanks Amy and Donna. An Olympics event sounds like fun! I hope "New Neighbors" will be allowed to participate. I'm looking forward to seeing the guidelines.

Absolutely! We will have to have some sort of cut-off date to be able to add people to the "official" list of crochet athletes, but that's really just a matter of practicality so I'm not adding people throughout the entire event.

We want it set up so that people from outside Crochetville can easily participate as well. They'd just need to register an account and post in the sign-up thread (or PM me) that they want to participate prior to whatever our cutoff date is. It won't matter how long they've been a member or how many posts they've made.

This will be open to everyone who wants to participate, with the only limiting factor being that you have to be a registered member in order to post here. :)

Amy you tease! I saw the empty Olympics folder and was immediately intrigued. I'm glad this post is here to explain it.

This sounds like fun- I'd probably participate!

Marika, don't worry about that part. ...(stuff deleted)

I think it will just be easiest to say start crocheting at the beginning of the opening ceremonies, stop crocheting when the flame goes out, and crochet as much as you want to in between those times! Then it's as fair as possible to everyone.

Of course, with China being across the world from North and South America, we may be at a bit of a disadvantage this time around, since the real time of the opening and closing ceremonies may occur when we're all asleep! :lol

:lol Thanks, Amy... hehe it would be an interesting change to be more in synch with the time-zone here in Oz :) (I think it may only be 4 hrs off from Sydney time...)

Looking forward to seeing how it all works out... (I too first saw the folder, then this thread... definitely teased, I was :lol)

Sometimes we like to keep people guessing around here! :lol It keeps you on your toes, and keeps things from getting boring.

I'm really looking forward to this episode of the Crochet Olympics. I just need to figure out what I want to make. Although I may have to let MY Olympic challenge simply be managing the big event. :D

Maybe a button can be made, so those of us with blogs can add the button to the blog? This might get more people interested.

Oh boy, this sounds like so much fun, I can't wait :clap

Gosh, why couldn't I have found the 'ville a few years ago?

Maybe a button can be made, so those of us with blogs can add the button to the blog? This might get more people interested.

I like that... :cheer :cheer

Yes, we'll definitely create different blog buttons for the event. :)

Oh boy, this sounds like so much fun, I can't wait :clap

Gosh, why couldn't I have found the 'ville a few years ago?

Cindy-

I've had the same thought- this site is soo addictive! Its like espresso, but without the worry of coffee stains on your favorite shirt :lol

:lol

Yes, that is true!!

In the month I've been a member and thanks to a CAL I'm in I've started and finished 2 afghans, one amigurumi and completed 4 WIP's. I am on a roll and it's all thanks to the 'ville :hook

I've got some good news and some bad news for everyone. Crochetville's crochet competition event in honor of the 2008 Olympics is about to get underway. I'm sure you've noticed the new forum that appears at the top of our Community Center area on the forum main page. Donna and I are just about ready to activate that area and get our Crochetville event underway. Be watching today or tomorrow for some exciting new threads to appear!

The bad news is that we are not going to be able to all our event the "Crochet Olympics." In 1998, Congress enacted the Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, placing restrictions (beyond what is allowed in traditional trademark law) on the use of the word "Olympics." Basically, by special federal law, the word "Olympics" cannot be used with any type of organized event, competition, and so on.

Just to make sure Donna and I were interpreting this law correctly, I called the US Olympic Committee in Colorado and spoke with their legal department. The person I spoke with confirmed that we would not be allowed to use the term "Crochet Olympics" for our event. She said that if we did, and someone reported our event to them, they would send us a cease-and-desist letter requesting us to stop using the name or face legal action. The reason a cease-and-desist letter was not sent for the 2006 Crochet Olympics is that the US Olympic Committee never learned of that event.

EDIT TO ADD: The only way we could get permission to use the word Olympics for our event would be if we paid to become an official sponsor. Sorry, everyone, but we just don't hae that much money!

Since we don't want to be involved in any legal action, and also since we make a big point of respecting trademark law here at the 'Ville, we have changed the name of our event. Instead of the Crochet Olympics, we will be calling it the 2008 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece.

Yes, since the Olympics originally started as a competition so long ago in ancient Greece, it doesn't seem fair that the US government would place such heavy restrictions on use of the word Olympics. But that IS what they have done, so we have to comply with the law. I know many of you will be upset that we can't use the word "Olympics" with our event. I'd like to ask that if you feel the need to voice your upset/frsutration/whatever about this, that you please do so in this thread.

We'd like all the threads in the 2008 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece folder to have a positive, uplifiting feel to them. So please keep the negativity about the name change confined to this thread, okay? It will make my life much easier and happier! :D (Any negative posts about the required name change made over in the 2008 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece forum will be deleted without explanation.)

just fine... no problem

I can't see how anyone would be negative about that!!!

Manda

I can't see how anyone would be negative about that!!!

Manda

Well, *I* was pretty disappointed we couldn't call it what I wanted to call it! I had a nice big gripe session with Donna over the whole situation. :eek I guess sometimes I don't like being told I can't do what I want to do. :lol

But the important thing really isn't the name of the event; it's the fun we'll all have with each other during the event! Right? Right! :crocheting

I agree- the change is not a problem. While the new name is a mouthful and I had looked forward to being an "Olympian", I'd much rather be a "Greecer". :lol

But the important thing really isn't the name of the event; it's the fun we'll all have with each other during the event! Right? Right! :crocheting

You got it girl! We have a great group of ladies, and no matter what its called, we'll have a ball!

The 2008 Crochet Games of Ancient Greece are now underway! Take a few moments to read through the Rules and Information post, spend some time picking a project, and then sign up to participate in the Join the Greek Games thread.

Edit to add: We have a special Greek Games Training thread for all discussion as we prepare for the big event.

We already have our first two athletes registered for the event!