Baby blankets and/or squares for Medically Ill Children

donnalynn2

As many of you know, my DH and I are going to be medical foster parents. We actually went through the week-long medical training last week, are in the middle of our MAPP classes right now and should be certified and hopefully will have children in our home by January (fingers crossed.) Anyway, many of these children get adopted out and other times they do get reunited with their birth parents. Either way, we will probably only have each one for a few month at a time. We hope it will be longer but the social worker told us that their goal is to get them well and out of the program within 3-6 months max.

Anyway, I want to make sure that every child leaves our home with their very own homeade baby blanket. Once we start taking in children I will have very little time for the things I enjoy now like TV, crochet, the internet and the many other hobbies I enjoy. Taking care of a medically challenged child is a full time job, not to mention there are mounds and mounds of paperwork to complete, I'll be driving back and forth to Orlando, Gaineville and who knows where else several times a week etc., so I really don't know that I will personally have the time to make each one of these blankets myself.

If you would like to make either an entire blanket or just squares for a blanket, that would be great. This is an open ended request. I will actually start taking squares or blankets whenever anyone wants to send them. I will just store any that I get in totes until they are needed. This would be a great blessing to these children.

We will only be set up for ages birth-2 years of age so small blankets are the only sizes I would need. Any color or yarn will do, so long as they are "baby" colors.

Please PM or e-mail me for my addy if you'd like to contribute.

(If you have ever sent me anything in the past and already have my address, please contact me first as I moved last summer and still get packages sent to my old address!)

Thanks again!!!!!

I'll take any size squares up to 8 inches. Yes, fleece blankets with crocheted edgings would be great as well. But yes I do want to stay with baby or "child" colors and/or patterns since again we'll only be getting children up to 2 years in age.

Thanks so much!!!!

I am "medically challenged" :( so my crocheting takes way too long for my liking and what's in my heart that I want to do.

I have 3 other charities that I donate to, one of which is also for foster kids (older) so they have something homemade to call their own. :yay

My younger 2 children are adopted (almost 9yrs ago), they were 4 & 5 when my oldest was 7. So, what you are doing is very close to my heart:manyheart as I crocheted up a storm (before my medical problems) to give them each homemade goodies.

I want to do a baby blanket or two to send you, :crocheting it just takes me awhile. :blush

I wanted you to know I am interested though in helping you! :yes

God Bless you for giving these children a safe and loving home for as long as they are with you. :hug

Lauren :hook

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to post a blanket THANK YOU to those of you who have been kind enough to send blankets and squares for blankets so far! Your generosity has been so wonderful! There are so many children, esp these little babies who literally come to homes with nothing and leave with nothing either. I cannot wait to start giving these blankets to children. How wonderful that they will have something to call their own and something that was handmade at that!!!! There is such a need for it not just here where I live, but everywhere.

We are in the midst of paperwork with our caseworker at the moment getting all of our final stuff finished (I think so at least! LOL) and if all goes well, we will have a little one in our home come the beginning of the year. I have set aside several of the blankets that have been sent to me already for the children that will be placed with me but am going to start making blankets for other families in this medical program in the area as well. I spoke with our contact at the medical foster program and she said that most of these children have nothing and that she can definately find a home for each and every blanket I can make!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know to keep them coming! Squares or whole blankets for babies are always in need. Thanks again everyone!!!

P.S. The squares and blankets cam be made either with baby or regular WW yarn. So long as it's washable and easily cared for. No wool or anything like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank Patty in Greensburg, IN for the beautiful baby blanket she sent me for the foster kids! Thank you so much! I'd thank you personally but there was no user name on the package so I'm not exactly sure who this is. Thank you so so much!

P.S. It's possible the user name was on the box as our mailman left it on the front porch the first day of Tropical Storm Fay and let's just say it was more than a little drenched! I was lucky to salvage the return address label! LOL However, the most important thing (the blanket) arrived in perfect condition!!!

DonnaLynn, keep bumping this post, I am due to have my new little one this week, so I will be pretty busy for a while, but this sounds like a very ongoing project? I would love to make some baby blankets for you to hand out, to yours or others in this program. Give me a little time and I am sure I can make a few for you :)

I wanted to thank Patty in Greensburg, IN for the beautiful baby blanket she sent me for the foster kids! Thank you so much! I'd thank you personally but there was no user name on the package so I'm not exactly sure who this is. Thank you so so much!

P.S. It's possible the user name was on the box as our mailman left it on the front porch the first day of Tropical Storm Fay and let's just say it was more than a little drenched! I was lucky to salvage the return address label! LOL However, the most important thing (the blanket) arrived in perfect condition!!!

I'm glad you received the blanket and I'm sorry I thought I put my name on the inside. I hope you didn't get flooded out from Fay.

I just wanted to post a blanket THANK YOU to those of you who have been kind enough to send blankets and squares for blankets so far! Your generosity has been so wonderful! There are so many children, esp these little babies who literally come to homes with nothing and leave with nothing either. I cannot wait to start giving these blankets to children. How wonderful that they will have something to call their own and something that was handmade at that!!!! There is such a need for it not just here where I live, but everywhere.

We are in the midst of paperwork with our caseworker at the moment getting all of our final stuff finished (I think so at least! LOL) and if all goes well, we will have a little one in our home come the beginning of the year. I have set aside several of the blankets that have been sent to me already for the children that will be placed with me but am going to start making blankets for other families in this medical program in the area as well. I spoke with our contact at the medical foster program and she said that most of these children have nothing and that she can definately find a home for each and every blanket I can make!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know to keep them coming! Squares or whole blankets for babies are always in need. Thanks again everyone!!!

P.S. The squares and blankets cam be made either with baby or regular WW yarn. So long as it's washable and easily cared for. No wool or anything like that.

Please PM your address.....I have a couple of blankets for you.

Linda:cheer

Kulaslk

• 3 weeks later...

Please send me your address as I have 3 blankets for you.

I am on vacation for the next ten days but I could get them out to you when I get back.

Linda:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Crafty for the blanket and other surprises and they will all be used and loved by some wonderful child!

Linda, I am so sorry that I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I PMed you a moment ago with my addy.

We have been so busy getting licensed that my on line time has been limited and I am barely on Crochetville except to read a few posts here and there. I finally had a few mins tonite and thought I would make sure to thank Truckin Patty and Crafty for their blankets on the thread and let everyone else know that I am so grateful for the outpouring of support you have all given to this endeavour!

Everything (so far) is on track and we are just a couple weeks away from being licensed and it looks like we are on track to having a child in our home by January which was our goal all along! I cannot begin to tell everyone just how excited my DH and I are about this! It's just beyond a dream come true! I know it's going to be hard to have to love these children and then give them up after such a short time but I just have a feeling that this is what we are supposed to be doing and the path we are to follow.

Anyway, thanks again everyone! If I don't respond to this thread again quickly, please feel free to PM me as I do log on to the Ville usually every day or so and will be sure to see a PM. Thanks again!!!

I would love to help too! It is such a wonderful thing that you and your husband are doing. We need more people like you in the world. I will make what squares I can. I will have more time after I have finished my goal for the FA challenge. :hook

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to send a thank you to minnisoda and kulaslk for the packages they sent me! These wonderful blankets will be loved and appreciated! Thank you so so much!

As a side note, my MIL and I finished our First Aid Class today and that was the last thing we had to take. I sent the last piece of paperwork in to my caseworker this week and he said that we should be licensed within a week or so!!! Now all we'll have to do is send our paperwork to medicaid for billing and we're on track to get our first child by January as we had originally planned! (They told us that it normally takes up to 3 months for medicaid billing to get approved.) Anyway, my DH and I are really excited and cannot wait! After all of these hoops and all to finally be able to care for a sick child. I know it will be one of the greatest things I'll ever be able to do in my life. Anyway, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers that the rest of our paperwork and approval goes smoothly!

Thanks again for everyone's generosity!!!!

Archived