Shopping/Market Bag CAL

Debbi-a1

Count me in. I hate using the plastic and hubby hates buying the cloth ones at the store, to commercial as they have the store logos on them. He said I could make a better quality one. Now to decide which ones to make.

Cora

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cora that is great your hubby wants you to crochet:cheer. Tell him we think he's great. :yes.

Check out message 6 on page 1 for a list of some patterns. Maybe I should mark ones that people have done and where they are at, which can help in choose, but there hasn't been a lot done on this CAL yet.

Oh lots of cotton, sounds nice. :crocheting Can't wait to see your fnished bags with all this cotton yarn.

Debbi

OK - Here are the first 2 - Just finished them up this morning!

MarketBag.jpg

I found this pattern at Nancy's Crochet. I made some minor modifications to the pattern, but the nod goes to her. They were selling MONDO skeins of Sugar 'n Cream at Michaels, and I bought several. This is called Fruitcake. Seemed somewhat appropriate. I added a leaf button for zing.

MarketBagLion.jpg

This one is the Lion Brand market bag pattern. I love it! It's huge and perfect for Farmers Markets and Flea Markets. I made this also with Sugar 'n Cream, but with 4 oz. balls. It took into 4 balls to make. I'd definitely make this again, but with a mondo skein or cone so there aren't so many ends to weave in.

Now I know you're thinking I finished way too quickly to have not started these beforehand. Yep, that's true. I did start these before I joined this CAL, but plan on making more. After knocking 2 of them out, I will definitely need the motivation. :hook

Thanks for looking!

Great bags!

I was watching a CAL for the kitten in a row and decided to start the afghan, but haven't joined the CAL as it became a WIP:blush:lol. I decided it would be a Christmas gift and since it's June, what's the hurry:think :lol.

Thanks for the links. I'll add them to message 6 for all the links.

Debbi

I am going to start a go green market bag.

Now Debbi, come on over to the kittens in a row. I am still working on mine. Also check out the row a day till christmas CAL because Krystals bat helps keep you in line. The afghan will be done before you know it!

I am going to start a go green market bag.

Now Debbi, come on over to the kittens in a row. I am still working on mine. Also check out the row a day till christmas CAL because Krystals bat helps keep you in line. The afghan will be done before you know it!

:lol I've looked at both cals. the Row a Day one looks nice, but sometimes I don't want to even look at the afghan (maybe because of guilt).

I was going to join the Kittens in a row cal but then I thought, I'm almost done (really, it's embarrassing:blush) so I never did.

I was thinking I was going to try my Vstitch bag out of cotton, I did a small one to store them in, but wanted to try one and use it everyday like my acryllic one and see how the handles work out, if they stretch a lot or not. The arcyllic handles stretched a bit and now look like DC instead of SC. So not bad at all really. Yes I've been using it as my extra bag to take extra things to work in (like my WIPs), and diet cokes.... and whatever else. So having another (and more) may help me use them more often for shopping too.

Craftygal, the first link didn't come up, and do you have the name or link to the webpage of the other one. I would like to see a picture of it too. I wish Bernat would do pictures on their PDFs. They dont a lot of them.... thanks!

Debbi

Craftygal, the first link didn't come up, and do you have the name or link to the webpage of the other one. I would like to see a picture of it too. I wish Bernat would do pictures on their PDFs. They dont a lot of them.... thanks!

Debbi

image_133.jpg

It is called String Bag (crochet) on both sites.

Cora

All right as soon as my cotton order from Elmore-Pisgah comes in (20lbs in total) I am in...I will feel better once I have enough of these to do my shopping with (5 or 6 should be enough...) Now I just have to decide which pattern to use... decisions?decisions?...

Love the bag! The leaf looks cute on it.

Oh, I bet other embellishments would look cute on them too. Not too big to get in the way, but something small like yours.

Good luck in choose a pattern:lol. Maybe do different patterns. A square one is nice for things like the long tissue boxes (I like those they have 200 tissues in them:yes). Round ones would be good for smaller items or even round items:lol. Of course you can do different ones.

Debbi

Love the bag! The leaf looks cute on it.

Oh, I bet other embellishments would look cute on them too. Not too big to get in the way, but something small like yours.

Debbi

Thanks Debbi! Yeah, I thought the bag needed a little zing, so when I found leaf buttons, I snagged 'em!

All right as soon as my cotton order from Elmore-Pisgah comes in (20lbs in total) I am in...I will feel better once I have enough of these to do my shopping with (5 or 6 should be enough...) Now I just have to decide which pattern to use... decisions?decisions?...

I love reading messages like this one! It tells me I'm not the only one that orders yarn in such large amounts!

Here are a couple more patterns to whet your appetite while you're waiting for your order to arrive:

This one is Australian, so replace tr with dc and dc with sc as you would for a British pattern.

http://www.carnivalyarns.com.au/media/pdfs/crochet_bag.pdf

http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Crochet%20Project%20-%20Crochet%20Bag.htm

Oh, and I'm working on #4. Should be done with it sometime tomorrow!

I finished the go green market bag and it came out a little small for my liking. I usually size up hooks anyway but I didn't have one size up. It will be fine for small purchases, or WIPs, or a half tub of icecream or something. Must make more! Pics to come.

Cora thanks for that bag. I've saw it before but forgot when I see another one. That would be perfect for a shopping bag or book bag or any type of bag you want! Thanks for the Flickr pictures, I love seeing the different bags.

Debbi

Archived