Shopping/Market Bag CAL

Debbi-a1

I thought a general CAL for any type of shopping or market bag would be nice. I thought of this from the discussion Reusable Grocery Bags where people had bought some (me too). I like the store ones but it's nice to have some pretty ones that we made.

There is the shopping bag CAL which is for one pattern only and the Plastic Bag CAL which is used for cutting plastic bags from the store into a new bag.

But this will be for any type of reusable shopping or market bag.

PATTERNS

There are some on Message 6 for links.

There are more, just look for ones on pattern sites (such as Crochet Partners Central) that say "market" "shopping" or "mesh" bags.

You can use any yarn you want for these. You may want to take into consideration if you prefer hand washing or just tossing them in a washer.

The discussion on Reusable grocery bags mentioned some store ones had some plastic inserts on the bottom to keep them standing up and if you choose to use a plastic canvas piece for the bottom, decide if it's removable to toss in a washer or if you don't mind handwashing.

One idea I had was to make a small mesh bag then store your bigger bags in it (great to grab and go). I made one Small Mesh Bag and thought of this idea. Maybe have 2. Have one in your car and then when you bring home groceries and go back to your car for more, take the other small bag filled with reusable market bags into your car. Then you always have them ready. Plus some at home in case you don't take your car to the store. (Reuseable Produce Bag might be a good one for a small mesh bag).

I also thought these would make good gift bags. You could line them with tissue paper to hide the present, but it would be great as an extra gift.

So if anyone would like to join me, please do.

Debbi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'd like to make one of those mesh bags on the 'Ville. (I have been eyeing the cocoon bag in Crochet Me for some time, but I will have to wait a little while to order the All Hemp 3 yarn)

I'm in another shopping bag CAL too, but seeing as I really wanted to make several so I would not have to use any plastic bags at the supermarket, I figure I should join along with this one too.

Welcome to the CAL.

A couple bags (knit and crochet) have been done recently at my SnB. I've been eyeing a couple of patterns. I'm in. I love my Chico Bags but sometimes you just want something cuter.

Those are nice.

The My Crochet Market Bag Pattern folds up into a pocket like this Chico Bag does. And yes I want something cuter too.

I think I'd like to make one of those mesh bags on the 'Ville. (I have been eyeing the cocoon bag in Crochet Me for some time, but I will have to wait a little while to order the All Hemp 3 yarn)

I'm in another shopping bag CAL too, but seeing as I really wanted to make several so I would not have to use any plastic bags at the supermarket, I figure I should join along with this one too.

I realized this morning I used too many plastic bags. I have one large crochet shopping bag but it's somewhere:blush. So I need to finish up the other 2 I have as WIPs. One I have at work to do at lunch when not doing other things and I can work on that instead of the afghan squares (which is just something to do at lunch).

Debbi

Since the first post was so long, I'll post some here on the first page.

A few more patterns for those who are looking

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Bag patterns & links to finished projects of those in this CAL:

Mesh Bag [pattern] Mesh Bag [finished object]

V-Stitch Shopping Bag [pattern] -- Pink Camo Shopping Bag [finished object]

Krystals Grocery Bag [pattern] -- Green Mesh Bag #2 [finished object]

Nancy's Crochet [pattern] and Lion Brand market bag [pattern] -- Mini's 2 Bags [finished object]

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

There are some patterns here on Crochetville

My Market Bags great way to use up left over yarn.

My Crochet Market Bag Pattern a WIP for me. This one is easy. Uses only 1 skien of Simply Soft.

Mesh Bag another one on Crochetville which uses cotton yarn.

Reuseable Produce Bag this would be great for a small one to carry all the others in and use for your produce at the store!

And others:

No Assembly Required Market Bag

Grocery Tote Bag (this is the one I tried and wasn't a fan of the pattern, it's on my blog as the BIG mesh bag. But it's still not a bad pattern, I did make a bag!)

Grocery Bag to Crochet this one could use some up some left over yarn.

Life's a Beach Tote which can be made into a shopping bag by eliminating the seashell beads. Made by a member here of Crochetville, Crochet Renee.

Handcrafter Cotton--Shopping Bag this one is is the shopping bag CAL but I thought I'd post it here too.

Shoppers Tote - link to several. Scroll down. You will see other bags too and they could be used.

V-Stitch Shopping Bag this is the one I came up with.

Shopping bag from thread, not yarn link to pattern links if you choose to do one in thread.

MAYBE? Pineapple Bag - I wonder if this would work? It looks very open enough and very cute! Scroll down for the pattern.

FILET DESIGN? Leaping Deer Design Mesh Market Bag is one idea to show how Filet could work for a market bag!

Check out the Plastic Bag CAL if you want to make one out of plastic bags, they have lins on there to help you get started.

This one is just too cute! And would make a graet gift! Berry Bag from CrochetMe. Actually you don't have to do the berry, she did it in different types. It's bascially a smaller bag, the bottom. The mesh part fits into it. When you cinch it up it looks like a strawberry! So you can carry this little bag to the market and have your shopping bag with you easily!

There are more patterns on the internet, just look for ones on pattern sites that say "market" "shopping" or "mesh" bags.

Debbi

Finished another mesh bag.

meshbagsmall2.jpg

Yes it's small. Not sure why. They always seem big when I start them, but end up small when I finish:think. Well some. I do have that Big Mesh Bag that ended up big.

Sorry I don't know the pattern, I lost it and just kept going and made up the handles. Yes they are off center but I don't want to frog.

It's small enough to be a mesh bag holder.

Debbi

I added the Life's a Beach Tote to the pattern list above because I lost my pattern (yes again) for Krystals shopping bag at home and no printer and too much trouble to get on the internet... so I decided I had more cotton yarn (that brown, pink and white I used for a purse) and started this one. I decided I do need more of these bags so not a problem.

Debbi

Well, I at least have the yarn picked out. Some rosewood ombre s'nc. No progress yet, however. If only there were more hours in a day, or I didn't need to sleep... I'd get much more crocheting done:yes.

If only there were more hours in a day, or I didn't need to sleep... I'd get much more crocheting done:yes.

:lol So true.

ETA: I'm going to be off line for a few days (until Wednesday the 14th), so if anyone wants to join, please do and let us know what you're working on.

Well, I'm about 2/3 of the way done with the Mesh Bag pattern from the 'ville. Hopefully it'll be done soon, the stitch it uses goes very quickly. It's a good TV watching pattern!

Hello --

I made a cotton mesh bag about a year ago, but made the mistake of making the handle too long (stretches almost aaaaallll the way to the ground when full and slung over my shoulder). I haven't yet disassembled it to make the handle smaller.

I was looking at the patterns available at Crochetville and think I'm going to start the cotton Mesh Bag by joanieponytail because it looks to be about the same size as a plastic bag:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62291&highlight=shopping+bag

Thank you, joanie, for that lovely pattern.

That mesh bag looks good. I actually came up with a pattern this past weekend because I was bored of the chain stitches, even though they are very easy and great for TV watching. The one I did is easy enough for TV watching but works up quickly. I'll post a pattern later today when I get time and get a chance to type it up. I've made several with this pattern and it's easy.

Debbi

I finally posted the pattern in my blog

V-Stitch Shopping Bag Pattern - link to the post I put here in Crochetville.

Also, I did it in Pink Camo to "test" the pattern. Pink Camo Shopping Bag - link to the post I put here in Crochetville.

I really like this pattern (not just because I made it up;)). It works up quickly and holds a ton of stuff. I did test it at the grocery story and works great.

Debbi

Yay, I'm finally finished! I used the mesh bag pattern from the 'ville, but I added a few more rounds (I was worried it would be too short, silly me, I forgot how much it would stretch!) I also added a few rnds of dc and made it a drawstring-- I can have short or long handles this way. I also finished the top with some rsc. (image is clickable)

th_DSC00567.jpg

Count me in on this CAL - I'm getting started today. (If I can pull myself away from the Ville that is!):)

What kind of yarn is everyone using for their tote? I am using Sugar n' Cream in natural and turquoise (gonna stripe it) for this one. But I really like the Lion Brand Cotton....maybe next time....

I've used Peaches and Cream cotton and Red Heart Worsted. There is a pattern on here that uses Simply Soft WW yarn.

I don't know if it matters, as long as it's strong enough yarn to hold items in. More of a personal preference.

I like the ones that I've made.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've been neglecting this CAL. I've been working on my wedding ring crochet quilt (CAL in siggy) and then another afghan for a wedding (easy one since I need it quickly).

I have been using my shopping bags though:cheer

Okay, for everything else but shopping:blush

:lol

I love them to tote around my WIPs in and carry things to and from work in (need to clean out my Waves of Color tote) so I have 2 I take to work.... and whatever else I previously used a plastic bag for. And I'm looking for one of my crochet bags before a plastic bag when I do need to carry something, so that's a plus!

I added a pattern to the pattern list in message 6, I was searching for something and came across the pineapple tote, not sure if it would work for a shopping bag, but maybe.

Debbi

Archived