Want to browse some Polish thread crochet magazines? -- UPDATE (found another link)

Krakovianka

I just looked up a new link in a current issue, and found this page:

http://www.kej.wroc.pl/mojerobotki/kej_.css

Click on the years--choose 2008 first.

Then, double click on the covers. At least #1 and #5 work for me, and allow me to view half-a-dozen patterns from the magazine. The others looks like they try to work, but didn't work for me.

If you click on the other years, and double-click on the covers, you just get a closer view of the cover, so you can see one or two featured projects.

You can order from the site, too, but you'd really need to read Polish to do it, plus have a way of paying directly to their bank via "konto," as that is the only payment method offered.

Update: Look, I found another one:

http://www.bpv.pl/pl/press/14/2008/373/Sabrina_Rob%C3%B3tki

Click on both magazines shown to browse a bit. Funny thing--I have that funky Bruges doily on my hook right now!

Wow--either these are new, or I've been missing them all this time:

http://www.bpv.pl/pl/press/4/2008/386/Diana_Rob%C3%B3tki

That issue with the red cover isn't even out yet--it says it will be available soon. Guess what my next purchase is likely to be?

~Karen

So how do I sign up for lessons in Polish? These are so lovely. I always admire your wonderful projects from these magazines, Krakovianka! And the burning question: are these in chart form as well as written instructions?

I need one of those online page translators... :hook

OMG I am so jealous. I wish the US had magazines like this :c9

You might find similar at http://www.taigayarns.com

Put crochet in the search box and you should find some magazines available.

I have ordered from them once and their customer service is impeccable. The magazine I wanted was no longer available, so after emailing with me, I asked for another magazine (which was at a higher price) or for my money back. They substituted the more costly magazine without a whimper.

Even though the magazines may be in a foreign language, the patterns usually have diagrams or schemes which are not at all hard to follow if you take it step by step.

Have fun!!

I forgot to add.. at the Taiga site.. click on Magazines and the "Little Diana" and the "Diana Creative" have a fair amount of crochet.

If you're not sure, email the customer service and ask about a particular issue.. they will help you.

HomekeepingGran, having the French equivalent of these Polish magazines, I can tell you that yes, they are graphical patterns. I :manyheart those mags. Can't get enough of them. :c9

Thanks, Mimi. I think other countries are further ahead than we are with charts and graphs. Japan is another place with some outstanding designers in the home arts and they're big on charts, too.

You know what? While I love the pineapple design and probably plan to make one of the trillion variations of it into a doily soon, I sometimes wonder if Americans aren't stuck on it. It's beautiful. It can be (but is not always) a great design. It's everywhere. I mean everywhere. Here in the states, threadwork = pineapples, almost. I think that's part of why I love seeing Krakovianka's things. They are truly out-of-the-box from American design thinking.

Yes, Mimi is right. At least the Sabrina and Diana magazines are published in many languages, and the patterns are almost always charted. I love charts! Moje Robotiki (which is a Polish magazine not published elsewhere) is usually charted, too. Once in a while there will be both written directions and a chart, and once in a very great while there will only be written instructions. I don't really like crocheting doilies from written instructions in English, and I have never attempted it in Polish. Charts are no problem, though, and as you can see, I have more than enough to keep me busy for a LONG time.

now that was eye candy! the BPV links even showed some tatting!! There was a lovely white and lemon brugges lace in this one 'Moje Robótki 5/2008 (375)'. the style are so different from what I am used to seeing (and they're not primarily pineapples!). just gorgeous.

the brugges lace in that mag I just mentioned, that's your avatar isn't it? you've made it all in one colour! gosh i am daft sometimes

Probably a stupid question but.... what does Moje Robotiki mean exactly? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with robots? :blush

"Moje Robotki" means "my work," but the connotation is "my handi-work."

The yellow/white doily featured in a current magazine is very similar to the one in my avatar--the outer round is the same, but the inner part is different. Mine is done entirely in Bruges style "tapes," while the one in the new magazine has a center worked in rounds before you get to the Bruges part on the edges. Both are very pretty patterns!

Those are all so beautiful! I have the pages marked for later when I can relax and fully enjoy the eye candy.

I've tried some and being dyslexic is a major handicap when it comes to following charts. I had a POlish Fairy Godmother once that sent me a magazine and I cried I was so frustrated that I had such a hard time following the graphs.

What pretty things! I noticed the yellow and white Bruges piece too:crocheting so pretty.

Does anyone know of a way to subscribe to any of the European magazines in the US?

Karen, thanks for sharing the links; it's fun to at least look!

I have many of those patterns ,also published Burda, Diana magazines too. I think same publisher is printing with different language and under different names.

But I saw some patterns that I did not have :)

Demet

As far as I know, you can't subscribe to those, but you can buy separate issues from journaux.fr. There are several sites selling them of course, but I know that one will ship to the US with no problem (I've ordered there before). It's just a tad on the expensive side.

Mimi, thanks for posting that. The yellow and white Bruges that we were talking about earlier is on the cover of one of the Elena magazines on that site.

Well, i do not need to be buying any more magazines, but it would be nice if there were a bookstore i could go to and sit down and leaf through a few of the pretty European magazines and daydream :sigh

• 8 months later...

Archived