Crab stitch

momo

Question

aka reverse sc, I had never heard of this stitch and I don't want to sound stupid here but, I searched crab stitch and all the video's I find are left handed, do I have to work with my left hand?

9 answers to this question

No, but you do work backwards and it is VERY awkward at first.

At the end of the row, (assuming you are right handed) that you have just worked right to left, you do not turn, but work BACK across the row from left to right.

This forces you to insert the hook into your work with your right hand in an unsual claw-like pose, hence I suppose the 'crab' name.

It does make a very nice finished edge, once you get over the awkwardness. I use it a lot.

It will be easier to get started if you work one ch before the first

stitch. This gives you a little more room to begin the unusual left to right movement. I learned this from my Japanese books.

Jean Leinhauser

Oh, thank you Jean. I didn't think of doing that and you're right it just gives you a little more ease to start going backwards. I like this edge alot, but boy was it hard to get on to.

Thanks everybody for your help. I did the stitch today. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (I tend to over analyze things anyway)

Archived