Excuses, Denial, Rationalization, Justification, Obsession...

Every now and then I like to take a little walk down a humorous path to clearly and concisely put to rest the rumors that I have anything nearing an obsession with yarn, crochet and all things related. I've been doing a bit of decluttering and cleaning, and DH (silly, silly man) noticed that I was "Decluttering"... I'm pretty sure he applauded. Audibly. Either that or he had a heart attack and was trying to use The Clapper to automatically dial 911. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to assure you, my viewing audience, that no skeins, WIPs, or UFOs were harmed in any way during the process of decluttering. If truth be told, they now have it better than any part of the rest of my family. Considering square footage is at a premium in my house (1,300 SF for 6 people and a large dog), I think my yarn is qualified as a dependent on my 2008 taxes. I'll have to get back to you on that one. To show you how much I love my art, I wanted to display for all of you the Feeding and Caring for Fiber method that I implement in my home: INTEGRATION.

The first example is the closet. Yarn is a fiber, and so it has every right to be in a closet. In fact, if you allow it to use all four corners, it will thrive very nicely.

stash01.jpg

Look up: I am very short. There is no need for me to ever store any clothing WAY UP THERE as I'd have to get a step ladder every time I wanted that pair of shoes. Besides, once I got rid of all those pretty little shoes that had to be stored because they could only be worn for one season, there was plenty of room. I have found bedroom slippers can be worn for nearly 80% of my time on this earth, and they don't take up much room.

stash03.jpg

Shelves: These shelves weren't very good for storing clothes on anyway. Every time I'd take something out, the rest would fall on the floor. The daisy square are much happier here, and I can see at a glance exactly which afghan I'm going to assemble later. Besides, this reminds me that charity is much more important than those extra sweaters. Now I wear one sweater all winter and it is much easier. (Hint: this helps those of us who are fashion-challenged: get one that matches EVERYTHING)

stash04.jpg

The floor: Consolidating to a pair of bedroom slippers and a pair of sneakers leaves all kinds of room on the floor. If you buy the vacuum bags, you can fit 60,000 skeins in the space of two. Very efficient. Oh, and if you use clear storage containers, you can stand in your closet every morning and look at your yarn. You already know what you're wearing: A pair of bedroom slippers and a sweater with a pair of jeans. So you can make better use of that fashion-decision time by ogling yarn. This saves you trips to the yarn store.

stash02.jpg

Storage: If it is a covered container, it can hold yarn. This is one of the first laws of physics, I am quite sure. This here is my staging area for my daisy squares. Everything stays in its envelope until I can catalog it. The description called this a laundry hamper, but it is much prettier with yarn in it. Why would I put stinky laundry in my bedroom? Yarn doesn't smell, so this is a much better thing to put in a laundry hamper.

stash05.jpg

The Armoire: I mean, really - what better place to store yarn? During commercials, you can look at your yarn instead of being teased with all those darn food commercials. See? I've just kept you on your diet, helped you lose weight and get healthier.

stash06.jpg

Peek-A-Boo: If someone has to bend at an inhuman angle to see the bags of your WIPs, then they are safe. They cannot be spotted, but every now and then you remember they are there. Who can ask for more for a UFO's place to live? If you bag them up, it also gives you the impression that they are ready to mobilize at a moment's notice and really WILL get finished. Someday.

stash07.jpg

The Night Stand: What does anyone else really store in a nightstand? Magazines? First off, the only magazines I get are related to crochet, and those certainly can't be stored on their sides in a cupboard. They need to be standing where I can flip through them easily to see the cover. The night stand is a perfect place to put more yarn, as there is nothing else practical to put there. Am I wrong?

stash08.jpg

Decor: I had an empty basket. I had 4 skeins of yarn. They matched, and I've heard these colors are "all the rage". So, I put them out to display to convince anyone that might walk by that I am "hip" to the current season's colors. I don't actually WEAR them, I wear jeans, slippers and a sweater. This way I don't have to change my whole wardrobe each season, I just set out new yarn.

stash09.jpg

Aaaah, the real work: This is my couch. Upholstered couches can submit to sun damage if not covered. I do my best to keep every piece of furniture covered to the best of my ability. Here, you see 2 WIPs, ready at a moment's notice.

stash10.jpg

The basket: This basket has five layers of UFOs. I consider it like a Time Capsule. As I finish one WIP, I get to the next and have fond memories of easier days (the ones with fewer UFOs, that is). This has a result much like therapy, leaving me calm and relaxed. This basket saves me a lot of money every year in mental health medical claims.

stash11.jpg

The BIG DADDY. This closet adjoins my daughters' room. They have a closet that they share that is equal to this. Yes, it is tiny. No, I am NOT emptying this to make them a closet suitable for two people. This is because I want to teach them that materialism is not good. If I give them a larger closet, when they reach teenage years, they will want to fill it. This is bad.... So my yarn is just the placeholder, preventing them from succumbing to the evil vice of materialism.

Now, this is all just a guide for you. I have given you ALL of the tools that I have to offer to make these solutions fit into your home and life. They really do work. Not a sole in my house questions the integration of yarn into our daily lives. Yarn is our friend, and needs to be treated with love and respect. Now, where is that tax code?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Krystal. Now I can show people that it IS allowed to have a lot of yarn about the house and ANYTHING is a storage spot. :rofl :rofl Gotta go get some clothes out of DD's wardrobe, she can pack it all in the drawers, see you later. :devil Only joking, still space in my wardrobe.

OMG, Krystal!!! S-D-R should see this....he thinks I have every color known to mankind!!!:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

BTW...you and I had the same FGM...I think...:manyheart She was so sweet...

The Armoire: I mean, really - what better place to store yarn? During commercials, you can look at your yarn instead of being teased with all those darn food commercials. See? I've just kept you on your diet, helped you lose weight and get healthier.

:rofl:laughroll:rofl I so needed that chuckle, that was awesome Krystal! My stash takes up 3 of the 4 corners in my bedroom (my crochet recliner takes up the 4th) and most of mine is in totes and hubby says it's about as big as he'll allow it to get... I took that as a challenge and won a few auctions on ebay, and ordered from peaches-creme.com and joanns... :devil

now seriously, It's nice to see where those squares I sent you today are gonna go... I sent 6 more to join your flock :hook

Krystal, I truly am an amateur. I bow to your superior organizing and amazing philosophical skills. Thank you for pointing the way to real yarn happiness!

:rofl

All hail krystals wisdom... resistance is futile...make way for the yarn!

:rofl:rofl:drool:drool:rofl:rofl

I've printed out your storage methods and mental health tips. I'm now on my way to JoAnns and Hobby Lobby, obviously I'm waaaaayyyyy behnd in the stash category!

Archived