Hola from S. FL!

Yarnluver

Hi, I'm Hispanic and I've recently rediscovered my hobby of crochet.

I first learned how to do chains when I was a little girl but it wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I taught myself with the help of a book. I began learning to read patterns but to this day I still find many hard to figure out (seems like some people explain their instructions more clearly than others...). During the '70s and '80s because I was mainly into sewing I only made mostly doilies, usually copied from old ones or a variation thereof, and a couple of baby blankets.

In '87 I moved as a single Mom of 2 to DE and there wasn't a lot of time for anything. A lot of ladies at my church crocheted so maybe that's why sometime around '92-'93 I felt inspired to buy some yarn and hooks. I wanted to make my daughter a nice pair of ballerina-like slippers but couldn't find a pattern, so I found myself designing my own; it wasn't easy but with patience I got them just like I wanted them (even decorated them with a flower!) and she loved them so much she immediately put them on when she got home from school each day. I tried making a more masculine pair for my son but for some reason never got past one foot; I remember at one point unraveling the whole thing because his feet had already grown too big. :(

I can't remember if I made anything else back then, all I remember is that when I was about to move to S. FL in '97 I decided to give all my precious crochet magazines to my crafty best friend because I felt I'd never had the time, however, I kept my hooks and leftover yarn... Once in this hot climate making a sweater or an afghan seemed pointless and I couldn't find anything else to inspire me. By then nice yarns, and more than anything the magazines, had gone up considerably so I pretty much gave up on crochet. Still, for some reason, whenever I saw yarn at a store I had to stop and look. I think I was hoping for something to trigger the dormant desire in me but during 10 years all I managed to make was a "eye patch" (I sleep mainly during the day...) and a few little bell ornaments for one Christmas.

Then, last August the only real craft store in this city was closing its doors and had a huge clearance sale. I couldn't resist the great prices so I walked out with some skeins of "suede" yarn, 3 colors of #10 thread, a few new hooks, and a couple of pattern magazines so I'd have some project to work on. That same week a dollar store had a shelf full of pretty "fancy" yarns, even though I had no idea what I could use them for I chose 5 skeins of Lion Brand "Incredible" (ribbon) in 4 colors because it seemed the easiest to use.

I began making a purse for my daughter with the suede but difficulties understanding the pattern got me to quit after unraveling for the umpteenth time. Then problems with my allergies and my sleep made me put everything on hold and months went by... and all I got to make was a another "eye patch"! Then, a couple of months ago, while checking out a Yahoo Bulletin Board of my area, I saw an ad of someone looking for people interested in crocheting "blankies" for shelter kitties. I love cats and I needed something to make me feel useful and this seemed like something I could manage so I replied.

I was chagrined to find out that I'd forgotten almost everything I knew but the girl who ran the ad directed me to Youtube.com and "voila"!, I have become more inspired than I ever was and I feel sure this time it's for good. I actually feel very sorry that I let go of such a nice hobby which is so relaxing, fun and a great outlet for creativity. And I was feeling pretty depressed but since I restarted crocheting those feelings don't last very long, if at all. The "downside" is that this has given me a new reason to spend hours and hours on the PC looking at patterns, yarn, etc., (which leaves me less time to actually work on my projects...:lol) - the internet has served to fuel my newfound addiction! Even though my budget is very tight, thanks to Walmart and Big Lots I've managed to get quite a bit of new yarn for future projects (and I'm already involved in four!). But, hey, in the way of therapy it's still as cheap as they come, right?:clap

Forgive me for the looooong introduction but since I'm hoping to hang out around here for a good while I wanted y'all to begin to get to know me. Lastly, I want to express my gratitude to all the kind people here and "out there" who have put out tutorials and share their patterns and ideas on the internet, you have helped to give me something to look forward to each day now!:D

Archived