Thread crochet - increasing a pattern size

Bernadette

Question

Hi and good morning!! (7:30 am here in NJ)

I have a question concerning a pattern. For all of you expert thread crocheters out there, I have been asked to make (2) doilies. This person likes a particular pattern but the pattern is for an 8" doily and she would like for it to be a 10". I'm not sure how to increase although I know it can be done. It would really mean a lot to her as they are replacing the doilies her grandmother gave to her that were stolen from a laundromat.

Petite Pineapple Doily

This doily pattern was found on the Crochet Pattern Central website and is the one in question. Any advice??

9 answers to this question

Generally when you change the hook size it will make the item bigger or smaller. I am working on a doily using size 3 thread and a size 5 hook. The pattern says my flower should have a width of 2 1/8 inches, using size 10 thread and size 7 hook. It is actually 3 inches. My doily will be bigger than the pattern calls for but that is the way I want it. If I wanted to be on gauge I would up a hook size as steel hooks get smaller heads as the size number gets larger. Thread size and hook size makes a difference. Generally you use a size 7 hook with a size 10 thread. The pattern will tell you the size thread and hook. If you crochet tight then you might want to go down a hook size and your work will be bigger. If you go up a hook size your work will be smaller. Just remember steel crochet hooks get smaller as the needle size number is larger.

This is tricky. The pattern is already calling for #10 cotton and a rather large hook for that thread size, I wouldn't go any bigger with either (larger hook would start to look sloppy, larger thread would make more of a mat than a doily).

I've altered some doilies and it entailed a lot of frogging to get it right...the only way to enlarge the doily AND STILL HAVE IT LOOK REALATIVELY SIMILAR would be to make the center larger, which would give you room to make bigger pineapples (wider and more rows) and so on. But, you'd be completely redesigning it from the ground up. It would be better to talk your friend into a smaller doily, or a different pattern.

Here's a few you might consider that are sort of similar, and the right size. There are a zillion pineapple patterns out there, but I tried to pick ones that looked most like your original choice:

http://pandacrochet.8m.com/alorange.html

http://www.crochetpatty.com/images/jpegs/pineappledoily3.jpg

http://www.ljccrochetdesigns.com/PineappleFoxDoily.html (doesn't say the size, but with 20 rows will be more than 8")

Thread work is tricky. You have two options:

1. Use a different pattern.

2. Try going down to a size five hook and crochet a few rows of the pattern. Also make a swatch(same number of rows) of the pattern with the size hook called for in the pattern. Measure both samples and see how much of an increase you get with the size five hook. This will give you and idea of how much and increase the change in hook size will give you. If it is enough and you like the way the pattern is working with the new hook size then go for it.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out.

maybe hold a size 10 and size 20 together and use a bigger hook. If you use a bigger hook with size 10 cotton alone it will make the pattern too loose looking. unless of course you like light and lacy :) there are no real right or wrongs.

as mentioned, easiest would be to choose a bigger pattern or

add a couple more rows to the outside

crochet loose (size depends on your tension as much as your thread and hook)

block it tighter, you may be able to stretch it more after finishing, wetting then blocking than the "about 8inches" mentioned in the pattern

On this pattern it's tricky. I would put a row in before the last one. Maybe just doing the next to last row twice (beware that the increases may come out wrong) and then making the picots bigger (add a few ch and joining the picot further down on the ch)

It's usually trial and error even for us that don't follow patterns to the letter.

Thank you all! Sorry for posting this so late after all of your recommendations. I got logged off C-ville and had a heck of a time logging back on - between work and life in general I also didn't have too much time to sit at the computer. After reading all your entries and clicking on the links you've provided, I'm going to see if my friend, Corrinne, will go with another doily that resembles what she'd like. It just seems the easier way to go. I knew the chosen pattern would be rough to increase, but I had to ask!!!

Have a wonderful day and thanks again for all your help.

Yes, stolen! I guess she felt comfortable washing them and since she uses a laundromat of course they just got thrown in with the clothes. Problem is that she took her clothes out of the dryer and didn't fold them until she got home which is when she realized they were missing. She went back - but they were already gone and no one brought them to the desk as lost. I'm going to surprise her by not charging her, even though she is expecting to pay me. I can't let her do that in this case!!

If it was me I would do the doily in size 5 thread with a size 2 or 3 hook. That should be enough to make it large enough for what you desire. I wouldn't try and redo the pattern. That is tricky to get it to look right and lay right and it wouldn't be the doilies your friend wants to replace the stolen one.

Sad that she lost them the way she did and nice that you are willing to make her. Wishing you the best of luck.

Archived