Winged Hair Kerchief

Tiggzie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome!!! Oh everyone has made such beautiful things from my little pattern. I am so happy people like this. And people told me I was horrible at crocheting and what-not. Bah to them, I say!

Here's mine!

th_100_1278.jpg

It was worked on in TN, VA, PA, MD and finished up at a rest stop in southern Arkansas lol!

It wouldn't have taken so long but I kept stopping to look at things. (hey it was worked on in 4 different civil war battlefields including Gettysburg! )

I totally love this pattern!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I give! :thair I just know I'm going to feel stupid for this, but I just can't get past this first row! :eek Am I missing something here? :think

Row 1: Ch 3. Dc 2 in third ch. Ch 1, skip second ch and 3 dc into first ch. Turn.

"Dc 2 in third ch", I figured you meant 2 dc in the 3rd ch from hook. But it's the rest of it I can't figure out - am I supposed to turn the piece to get to the first chain, stretch across from the end of the row back to the beginning, work from the bottom, or what? I'd really like to make this scarf, but I guess I need a little help starting out... It must be me, since everyone else seems to have had an easy time of it. I just know I'm going to be going "duh" when somebody explains it to me, but whatever! I'm stuck, and pride is going out the window before the yarn does! TIA!

Thankyou for sharing this pattern with us. I have been looking for some patterns to make head kerchiefs. This one is beautiful. I will try to get one made in the next few days and will put my picture on when it's done.

Betty

Okay, I give! :thair I just know I'm going to feel stupid for this, but I just can't get past this first row! :eek Am I missing something here? :think

"Dc 2 in third ch", I figured you meant 2 dc in the 3rd ch from hook. But it's the rest of it I can't figure out - am I supposed to turn the piece to get to the first chain, stretch across from the end of the row back to the beginning, work from the bottom, or what? I'd really like to make this scarf, but I guess I need a little help starting out... It must be me, since everyone else seems to have had an easy time of it. I just know I'm going to be going "duh" when somebody explains it to me, but whatever! I'm stuck, and pride is going out the window before the yarn does! TIA!

Excuse me if you think I'm being a know it all, but I've read it, several times I must admit, and I think by '3rd chain' it means the last one you made. First chain being the bit with the start of work. See if that works! If not then I'm going to fail miserably!

Alison

Whoops, I haven't been around lately! Sorry! :manyheart

Yes, the third chain means the last one you made, ie the one right next to the hook. First chain would be the first one you made. Does that make sense?

And yeah, I think the pattern should print out okay.

Thank you for all the compliments, etc etc. I truly appreciate it and I'm glad so many of you like the pattern. Happy hooking!! :hook

Whoops, I haven't been around lately! Sorry! :manyheart

Yes, the third chain means the last one you made, ie the one right next to the hook. First chain would be the first one you made. Does that make sense?

Okay, that makes sense, except that I'm finding it dang near impossible to squeeze my hook into that next stitch for a dc. Is the "Ch 3" you have listed at the beginning of row 1 the foundation chain? I can't help feeling like there's a few chains missing. I tried fudging a bit, chaining another 3 and calling the first of the 2 dc you call for in that first stitch, but then I end up with only 2 dc in that stitch (including the ch3 "dc") and 3 are called for on the other side. There should be 3 to a side, though, shouldn't there be?

Looking at subsequent rows, it's obvious the starting ch3 is counted as the first dc, so what I guess I'm saying is - is there a starting chain I'm not seeing in the pattern? Am I missing that? That's what seems to be missing to me...

I'm going to pretend there's a starting chain of 3, then do the ch 3 "dc" plus 2 dc in the first chain, go from there and see how that works. I really want to make this kerchief, in case you can't tell! It's really pretty and worth trying to get past this little spot, imo.

Okay, just wanted to report that the little modification I made got me through my blockpoint, and it's looking very nice! I'm already on row 8, and that's fast for me! I really like this pattern, it's the prettiest one I'd seen, and I've been looking for awhile. :manyheart

Okay, back to work... :hook

Aww yay! Groovy! I'm glad you worked it out. Sorry about that. But it's easy to modify and I'm glad you found something that works. :heart

I have, thanks Tiggzie, and it's coming along very nicely! :hook I'd share a pic of it, but it's, uhm, a surprise for someone. :D I'm sure you'll get to see it eventually!

• 5 weeks later...

I finished this last night, but must remember to check things as I work, I guess. I did 15 rows, then modified the edging, skipping the buillion row altogether, and changing the shells to (2 dc, ch1, 2dc), making a flatter edge.

It's beautiful! :) But it's also huge! :eek:think I'll see if my daughter likes it, but I think I botched this one. :blush

CJ

• 3 months later...

Edging: Ch 3. 2 dc in next dc. *Ch 1, dc-b-dc in space, ch 1.* Repeat * to * until point. Shell in shell. Repeat rom * to * until last space. 3 dc in last dc. Turn.

What does this mean, "dc-b-dc" ?? I've never seen a "b" used in a pattern before.

And what does this mean: "Repeat rom" ???

TIA!

• 2 months later...
I'm going to pretend there's a starting chain of 3, then do the ch 3 "dc" plus 2 dc in the first chain, go from there and see how that works.

This is what I did too, I thought it was really odd that I had 1 "petal" with 2 dc's and 1 "petal" with 3.... so I did ch 3... then ch 3 more...

Working out great! I can't wait until it's done! Going very quickly too...

Tina

Thanks again!

EDIT: I forgto to add: I didn't use the "puffy" edging, just a single crochet around the edge.

• 3 months later...

I made this into a shawl for my shawl swap partner and she loves it! I am making one for my daughter to wear over her dress for her 8th grade graduation. Her dress is a bit bare in the back and she is a little uncomfortable with that. I will post pics when it's done. Thanks for such a great and versatile pattern!!!! It can be made as big or as small as you want!

Tina

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

People have asked for pictures a few times in the past two months so I'm bumping this to say the picture is back up. :)

It's been a while. I'm glad people still like my pattern :D

Archived