Good substitution?

nemohee

I found a pattern in <i>Nihon-Vogue's Fine Crochet Lace</i>, but it calls for a thread that I'm not sure about: Crochet Cotton gold DMC No. 40. I know it's discontinued (the book itself is from 1982), but I don't know what thread would be a good substitute...

Anyone willing to take a stab at this?:hook

http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/03010000k0/en_US/Crochet-Cottons.html

I found a size 40 on the dmc website, it is not gold but its a white color, could the No. 40 mean size 40? i did a search for thread size 40 and came up with some results. I hope someone can help you out. good luck.

Kim

Golden Lace

I don't think this is your book, but it's similar (published by the same company). Those patterns ask for DMC No. 40 thread and a 0.90mm hook. I'm pretty sure that means it's size 40 thread. I bet your pattern is the same.

If you look at the hook size that will tell you. a .90 mm hook would equal a size 13 US which would be used for size 30 or 40 thread. Since this pattern is in a lace pattern book I would think you would be working with the finer threads.

Does the pattern show a guage? That will also help.

Lots of luck,

Toni Horvath

The hook size just says "Hook size No. I", which in the book's script, could be read as "I" or "1".

The pattern is for a filet table runner, but I actually want to use it for curtain panels. I'll give it a shot with regular ol' bedspread thread and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

The hook size just says "Hook size No. I", which in the book's script, could be read as "I" or "1".

The pattern is for a filet table runner, but I actually want to use it for curtain panels. I'll give it a shot with regular ol' bedspread thread and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

I made curtain panel(s) by using very fine threads, they wer filet too and it took me forever to complete them. I think bedspread size thead is very good idea for curtain panels.

Demet

I'm on row four so far, and the bedspread thread is working out fine. The panel is a bit wider than the original pattern said, but it actually works out better. My windows are kind of wide, so don't need as many panels with the bigger thread.

Thanks for your help!

Archived