donnalynn2

A wrap like pattern that accentuates yet hides...

Question

I know, sounds weird, right?

So here's the story... I bought this really neat tank top made of like a lycra material, it's really nice but very very very form fitting. It's got some sequins on it and a really neat design and let's just say that is accentuates my chest area which I don't normally do. The problem is that is also really shows off the spare tire in my stomach! :blush My DH has been begging me to wear it,

but....... I won't wear it till I find something that will help me to wear it... I found something kind of "close" to what I want but it's not exactly it.

THIS pattern is very close to what I want but I really want something a litte bit more flattering for the full figured woman. This doesn't need to be a free pattern, I really don't mind paying if it's what I'm looking for. I'd prefer something that doesn't require lace weight or thread so sport weight or above.

It doesn't have to be a wrap persay. It could be a vest or a cardigan or anything really. Just so long as It can cover what I need it to cover yet it will pretty much wrap around the "outside" of my chest area, if that makes sense. I can always close it with a pin while wearing it as a closure or put in a button and I don't really care about sleeves as I'll probably either make it sleeveless or short sleeved as down here in Florida I don't need warm stuff too terribly often. So it's just the basic "front" idea that I need to find...

Anyone with any ideas???? Thanks in advance! I've been looking for about 2 months now and the pattern above is the closest I've come. I know there are zillions of independant pattern sites out there that either aren't listed or that I may personally not know about so maybe you've got them in your favorites and maybe saw something somewhere that I haven't. I doubt it'll be on CPC as I have scoured it top to bottom. Like I said, more than likely it'll be something I'll have to pay for. If it is free, that's all the better but I think I've searched all the free to no avail... Thanks again for your help! :)

10 answers to this question

How about a 'long' (wide?) mobius scarf/wrap in a very lightweight yarn?

Those are both great ideas but I really want something that doesn't cover up the chest area at all. I want it to leave the chest area completely open so that you can still see all the pretty designs and sequins on the shirt yet hide my belly below my chest...

Does that make sense? :think

I think the pattern you originally posted would be flattering on a full figured woman. You gotta work those curves anyways! And besides, I'm thinking your husband wants you to wear the top because he likes your body! ;)

You could always check out the women's clothing section of crochetpatterncentral.com. I've found some wonderful things there.

Maybe you could make something like this

<http://caron.com/projects/ss/ss_circle_jacket.html>

without all the frills.

I agree with Amyjk. If you husband wants you to wear the tank top, don't worry so much about the "spare tire". It must not matter to him. Full-figured women are the majority in the United States so we should stand up and be proud, not afraid or ashamed of our bodies. Rock the tank top! Otherwise, I hope you find what you want. :)

~Amy

Actually, this is pretty close to what I was thinking... Thanks a bunch!

Not a problem. I couldn't find another one, but that one I do remember because it's on my to do list (that never ending long one).

I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to lend you an "I completely understand"!!!! I have a large bust that my dh adores, but I also have the spare tire that I DON'T adore! I just got home from a cruise yesterday and had to be creative in hiding the spare tire without covering the bust. I ended up making the sweet pea shawl and used the tails to cover my tire. It took a little bit of remembering to keep the tails in the right place. I ended up tying it, but loose enough that the tie fell below the bustline. Good luck and I really hope you find the perfect "pretty".