My son wants to learn to crochet

I got so excited tonight when my 10 year old son asked if I'd teach him to crochet. I've been working on a Spiderman rr for him and I had been working on it while waiting for church to start.

I put it up once church started but he pulled it back out. I thought he just wanted to look at it and see what I'd done but then he got my hook out and put it in the loop and started trying to "crochet".

He whispered and asked if he could crochet and I told him to go ahead thinking he was just playing but then he asked me to show him how. That's too much to talk about in church but I told him I'd let him pick some yarn out of my stash when we got home and I'd teach him.

So now he's got his yarn picked out and I'm going to start working with him tomorrow. He gets easily frustrated when something he thinks is going to be easy turns out to be harder than he thought so I hope he doesn't give up when the yarn doesn't flow right through his fingers like it does mine.

He wants to make an afghan and asked me before he went to bed how to change colors. I told him to let me teach him some basic stitches first and after he practices on something small we might could try a simple afghan pattern.

This may go nowhere but at least for tonight, I'm a proud momma. :c9

That is so cool that a youngster wants to learn crochet! The one teenage GD that lives closest by has no interest whatsoever but her brother did.

Several months ago when he was still 10, he asked me to show him how to crochet. He was worried about whether it was macho or not so I encouraged him. He learned chain and single crochet and made his teacher a pot holder with the condition she could not tell any one he made it. She told the class her secret friend made it for her. They are still trying to figure out who made it! He said he'll do more this summer- when school's out. He did a great job too.

I taught our 12yo how to crochet when she was 9. She seems to do good she has made a couple scarves ans some slippers that we sent to the troups serving. I think it is great when childern want to learn to do "crafty" things. I wish you luck teaching him!!!:cheer

How great is that! Good for you PogoJr and for your lil boy too!

My daughter is 12 now and has tried off an on to crochet but it is at best very difficult to get her mind to tell her hands what to do because she has asbergers syndrome. Anything requiring fine or gross motor skills is an extreme challenge for her.

With all the goodies I've been making these days, she has a new found interest in crocheting again and is willing to try again. I am working on a stuffed bear and doll for a challenge on (shhhhh) another group and she is so fascinated with it she wants to make one herself. I explained once again that just like the fact that it has taken her until just recently to be able to run, she needs to learn the basics of crochet before she can make bears and other cuties. She asked me to spend time with her on my next day off to spend some time with her to get going.

She may not get it this time but as long as she keeps trying and practicing, she WILL eventually get it just like she has running. Running took 12 years for her...crocheting may take a very long time but I'm more than willing to invest the time to help her get there.

Hook On!

Tina

:c9I think this is so great!! I have 3 girls ages 7,5 and 2 1/2... and I have wonderful dreams of one day sitting on the couch and recliners with all of them, each of us with our own special projects going on as our crochet hooks try to keep up with our creativity :crocheting

My oldest has wanted to learn since she was 5 and a few months back mastered the chain stitch! She's still not able to work into the chain, but hey everything in our house has a necklace! And my circle cutter pendants chain is the very first chain my daughter ever successfully made... :c9

She also made a necklace for her daddy, he works in a factory and left the house one day with it on... he took his razzing when he got to work, proudly displaying a pretty lilac colored chain on his neck.... what can ya do, his heart belongs to her, no way was he taking it off :hug

May you have many a night of crocheting with your son...

My 10 yr old pokemon king wanted to learn to do all the knitting and crocheting like mommy does. He soon got frustrated. Then I had him make I cord with a spool knitter. I got it started and he was able to get it. Three feet of bright orange cord resulted after two days of working on it daycare before he put aside for his next video game. We should feel proud with any kid wanting to try to learn any craft in this time of electronic instant just buy what you want time.

That is so cool that a youngster wants to learn crochet! The one teenage GD that lives closest by has no interest whatsoever but her brother did.

Several months ago when he was still 10, he asked me to show him how to crochet. He was worried about whether it was macho or not so I encouraged him. He learned chain and single crochet and made his teacher a pot holder with the condition she could not tell any one he made it. She told the class her secret friend made it for her. They are still trying to figure out who made it! He said he'll do more this summer- when school's out. He did a great job too.

My son's also the "macho" type. He shuns anything he thinks is "girly". I've told him before how his grandpa knows how to crochet and made almost an entire afghan. When we got home from church last night, I told his daddy he better not say one word about crochet being for girls. :lol

How great is that! Good for you PogoJr and for your lil boy too!

My daughter is 12 now and has tried off an on to crochet but it is at best very difficult to get her mind to tell her hands what to do because she has asbergers syndrome. Anything requiring fine or gross motor skills is an extreme challenge for her.

With all the goodies I've been making these days, she has a new found interest in crocheting again and is willing to try again. I am working on a stuffed bear and doll for a challenge on (shhhhh) another group and she is so fascinated with it she wants to make one herself. I explained once again that just like the fact that it has taken her until just recently to be able to run, she needs to learn the basics of crochet before she can make bears and other cuties. She asked me to spend time with her on my next day off to spend some time with her to get going.

She may not get it this time but as long as she keeps trying and practicing, she WILL eventually get it just like she has running. Running took 12 years for her...crocheting may take a very long time but I'm more than willing to invest the time to help her get there.

Hook On!

Tina

Wow! Best wishes to you and your daughter. I know she'll get it with such a loving and patient teacher. My son has ADHD so I don't know how long I'll be able to keep him interested especially if he doesn't pick up and go with it right away.

He was watching me crochet this morning and commented about how easy it looked. I told him it was easy but it takes practice at first. I'm excited about working with him this afternoon.

My son is nine and has been trying to crochet for a while. He doesn't worry about if it's girly or not. He had a hard time with the crocheting so he started doing plastic canvas instead.

Good for him!! I taught some basics to my step daughter last summer, she was 14 and has add. It went ok, mostly because she was already bored and wanted to learn, plus I just gave her a hook and yarn and let her go at her own pace. I will try again this summer when she visits. She is about to have a new baby cousin, so I think a baby afghan might be just the thing.

I got so excited tonight when my 10 year old son asked if I'd teach him to crochet.

Maybe your can encourage him by showing him what other guys here have made. Drew's (crochetdude) Prairie Style afghan is now a topic here. (there are links to pics) Good for you and your son! :cheer

I teach my kids at work (teens) how to crochet all the time. Some of them get it quickly, some of them take a while. Everyone has eventually learned. One of the nurses stopped by to my group on Tuesday and said, itsway too hard, I can't do this. I had to laugh and as I said to her later, look I taught so and so, If I can teach her, I can teach you.

My hubby wanted to learn to crochet to make me something for christmas, like a scarf or something. I grimaced at the thought of having to wear someone's first project out of love, and suggested a dishcloth like I give most people as a first project. The cotton was too difficult for him, so we switched to acrylic. He sort of got it, but was amazed at how difficult it was. So I taught him to weave in ends instead, lol.

I have heard that men take to knitting more, is that true?

I have four sons, all grown and married. Our second son watched me crochet when he was probably 10. And he started to crochet a chain. And then he figured how to do the single and the double. Once he figured it out he put it away. But now that he is married with 3 boys, he blew them and his wife away one night when he showed them he knew how to crochet. He's the macho type, so it was a good laugh!

I have a nephew who crocheted a chain. And then he rolled it up and just kept going. His grandma gave him all her scrap yarn, he would save his money and buy skeins of yarn and just kept chaining. His ball of yarn got so big he could not get it through his bedroom door. It was quite a topic of conversation. He wanted to get in the Guinness Book of Records! I don't know if he did or not!

Hi all! My 6 year old watches me crochet and wanted so bad to learn. So we sat down and he learned how to chain (ok not very even but hes getting better). Now he is starting to learn a sc. But, being 6, he doesnt sit still for very long doing anything (except reading! He loves to read). Hey, at least he's interested in what mom is doing! Good for all our kids!

that is sooo cool!! my lil friend (who's 8) had problems holding the yarn and getting started. so i did a few rows for her in a square (so it didn't flip around so easily and behaved better for her) that would have made a dishcloth (but ended up as part of an afghan) and i taught her the simple tunisian stitch because it is one set of moves all the way across and another set all the way back. it was easier for her to see some real progress and encouraged her to want to keep going. she got so frustrated with not getting the chain that she was thinking it was gonna be too hard for her. also, doing the tunisian let her learn how to hold the yarn with the right amount of tension for her self. and it let her learn how to use the hook. we often take for granted things like turning the hook downwards to pull the yarn thru and yet those are the things that can make it more difficult to maneuver if it is new to ya. i think it is wonderful that your son is wanting to learn more!! grins, debra

Archived