More Between Meal Centerpiece questions

HomekeepingGran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

True. Only, I'm waffling, moggy. An older lady just loaned me a bag of her crochet books. She doesn't do much of it anymore. There are some Ondori books in it. Sigh. I have a feeling one of them might leap into first place, #10 thread or not.

I thought some more about this and realized this is one of those (sigh) copyright violations if I use my friend's Ondori pattern without buying the book. So, I am either going back to the BMC idea or another WIM I've had for years to make some lace for bath towels. Not sure yet.

Akkk - copyright - good for the person protecting their designs, not so good for the users!! Is there an e-mail addy on the book to the publisher to get permission? Then you can Ondori away to your hearts content :)

How can it be a violation of copyright to make something from a borrowed book? All of us borrow books from libraries ( and our friends) and make items from them. I cannot believe that there is a law saying that you have to buy, not borrow, a book before you can use the patterns. Then no library would have a craft section.

In the thread you referenced, someone was wondering if they could share a pattern with the 'ville that was in a book 'out of print'. The comments were that it was still under copyright and couldn't be legally shared over the internet. The original author/designer still has the right to make money each physical copy of the book.

If Ann bought a new copy of the book, the author makes money on the sale of that 1 copy. Ann can sell or give the original book to Betty. Betty sell the book to Clara, Clara can sell it..etc..all the way to Zelda and beyond. Any of these ladies can loan that same original copy any number of their friends. The friends can read the that same original copy of the book without any copyright violations as long as no copies have been made. So, if your friend will loan you the Ondori book long enough for you to make the doily, you're fine copyright-wise.

If copyrights were violated by loaning a book, there would be no libraries. However, anyone who uses a copy machine in a library is undoubtedly violating copyright.

"So, if your friend will loan you the Ondori book long enough for you to make the doily, you're fine copyright-wise."

This is exactly what I meant. I was not thinking of scanning and emailing copies, which is obviously a violation of copyright.

I thought some more about this and realized this is one of those (sigh) copyright violations if I use my friend's Ondori pattern without buying the book. So, I am either going back to the BMC idea or another WIM I've had for years to make some lace for bath towels. Not sure yet.

It's not a copyright violation to make something from a borrowed book.

I don't understand copyright ins and outs, amdm, but here is a recent Crochetville thread about sharing (AKA "borrowing") from a friend. I'll let you read for yourself.

That thread is about a totally different situation--"sharing" the pattern by making (digital) copies. Using the patterns to make things from a borrowed book does not make new copies of the patterns, and so no copyright laws are violated. Making an unavailable pattern available by scanning or copying it is not the same thing as sharing the one, original, physical copy.

OK, but I have a friend in South Africa who wanted Sunshine Medley Doily and I won't be sending my magazine to her to make the doily and have her then send it back. So... I cannot legally "loan" to her via an electronic copy but my neighbor down the street can loan to me via the original book? (Both the Ondori book and the Magic Crochet magazine are out of print but still under copyright.)

:think

This is crazy.

The difference lies in the fact that you have to make a copy to send away. That is what copyright law protects--the right to make copies. You don't have the right to make the digital copy (or a photocopy, etc...) and send it. But you do have the right to borrow an original copy, use it, and return it. It's not really different from sharing books that are read. You can borrow a book from a friend and read it--only the original copy exists. You can't scan it and make a digital version to share. But just using a borrowed book isn't making a copy of it--that's the difference. Copyright laws don't cover what happens after an original copy is sold--a book can be read by 200 people. A pattern can be used by 50 people. As long as no new copies are created, no copyright laws are violated.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I am sorry to bother you guys with this stupid question, but I don't understand what they want us to do on rows 3 and 4... Why do we have to finish row 3 with "2ch; dc in dc"? and row 4 with "sl st in dc"? If I do that I get 19 loops instead of 18... Did I do something wrong, or maybe skip a step?

Thanks!

oops, never mind I had done one too many loops, it all adds up now, sorry for bothering you ^^;;

Glad you were able to figure it out. I would like to make another of these. I want a white one for myself but... not sure about starting another big project right now with so many unfinished ones hanging around. :eek

Archived