More Between Meal Centerpiece questions

HomekeepingGran

Did any of you happen to record benchmark numbers as you worked this pattern? You know — "You should have 57 DCs at the end of this round" — that type of stuff. The pattern quit having any waaaaaayyyyyy back early on. Somehow I think I am off (again) at Rows 46 and 47. I have 185 V-stitches in those rounds and I think I should have had 184?

Then... I don't understand the directions in Row 48. They seem to be telling me to put an 8-chain loop every 5 V-stitches but that is not what the rest of you worked. Every 5 stitches conveniently divides into 185 V-stitches (which I happen to have) to give 37 loops but the rest of you have 92 beautifully filled loops. 37 is way too few. Your BMCs have 8-chain loops every other V-stitch according to your pictures. I cannot make that out of the directions somehow. What is Row 48 saying?

I have grabbed pictures from the net of this scarf and I know that what I am understanding to do and what you have done don't match in the slightest. Slap me up and straighten me out! Please!

I'm not really sure of what you are asking but you should wind up with 92 chain 8 loops w/ 9 dc between each loop. The chain 8 loops are kind of above the row of dc' s making up round 48. I hope this makes sense. I lost count so many times on this round that I almost scrapped the whole project.

Sheryl

Sheryl, I could see from everyone's pic that I need 92 chain-8 loops, but even if I have the right # of V-stitches on Row 47 to begin with, I don't understand Row 48 instructions which read as follows:

"Row 48: Ch 3, dc in next ch-3 lp [ch 8, sl st in top of last dc to form ring, dc in same ch-3 lp, dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next ch-3 lp, dc in next 2 dc, dc in next ch3-lp] rep around, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3."

This chart is how I read these instructions, but they don't work out to 92 chain-8 loops at all. And they're not even related to how the rest of you seem to have worked Row 48. I'm confused and extremely dumb.

I removed the chart in order to not confuse someone else, too!

I'm misreading it, aren't I?

Dumb, dumb — no, d-o-m-b. (Family joke — so dumb you can't even spell "dumb" right.)

OK.

Deep breath.

I STILL don't have the right number of V-stitches, so rippppppp...

I apologize for being an idiot. Thank you, everyone, for putting up with a total nu nu. I'll leave you alone now.

Cozyhomelife the host at Delphi forum had a CAL on this doily, She was kind enough to keep notes on this one to help everyone out. She watched all the notes made by differant people to help us.

Thanks Cozy:cheerand to all that helped in this.

Understand this is just what others have come up with. She has other notes also. Just look over there in the Cal folder.

Starting mine tomorrow I hope.

Notes: Beginning chain is counted in with the stitches as a

> stitch. Ex: ch-3 at beginning is counted as dc.

>

> Rnd 1: 36 dtr including beginning chain

> Rnd 2: 18 ch-4 loops and 18 sc

> Rnd 3: 18 ch-5 loops and 18 sc

> Rnd 4: 18 ch-5 loops and 18 sc

> Rnd 5: 99 tr

> Rnd 6: 99 sc and 9 ch-3 loops w/sc between (9 pattern repeats)

> Rnd 7: 81 sc and 18 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 8: 63 sc and 27 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 9: 45 sc and 36 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 10: 27 sc and 45 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 11: 9 sc and 54 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 12: 54 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 13: 54 ch-3 loops w/sc between

> Rnd 14: 3 dc in each loop x 54 loops = 162 dc

> Rnd 15: 164 sc

> Rnd 16: 82 ch-2 sps and 82 dc

> Rnd 17: 41 v-st with 41 ch-3 between

> Rnd 18: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 19: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 20: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 21: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 22: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 23: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 24: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 25: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 26: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 27: 41 v-st with work between

> Rnd 28: 328 dc

Rnd 29: 246 dc and 41 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 30: 246 dc and 82 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 31: 246 dc and 123 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 32: 246 dc and 164 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 33: 287 dc and 164 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 34: 328 dc and 164 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 35: 369 dc and 123 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 36: 410 dc and 82 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 37: 451 dc and 41 ch-2 spaces (41 repeats)

Rnd 38: 533 dc

Rnd 39: 82 ch-8 loops with sc between

Rnd 40: 82 ch-9 loops with sc between

Rnd 41: 82 shells with ch-3 loops between

Rnd 42: 82 v-st with work between

Rnd 43: 82 shells with work between

Rnd 44: 82 ch-8 loops with sc between

Rnd 45: 738 dc

Rnd 46: 184 v-st This is the round that I had to "fudge"

on. You have repeats of "v-st, skip 3 dc" which will be worked over

4 stitches. But 738 is not evenly divisible by 4 and you need to

come out with 184 v-st to make the rest of the pattern line up

correctly. So I skipped an extra dc between 2 of the v-st repeats;

one close to the beginning of the row and one a little past the middle.

Rnd 47: 184 v-st

Rnd 48: 92 loops

Rnd 49: 92 loops

Rnd 50: 92 repeats: 276 sc and 92 ch-4 loops

Rnd 51: 644 dc (7 time 92 repeats)

Rnd 52: 23 repeats (each repeat worked over 28 sts. from last row)

Rnd 53: 23 repeats (13 sc and 2 shells per repeat)

Rnd 54: 23 repeats (11 sc and 2 larger shells per repeat)

Rnd 55: 23 repeats (9 sc and 16 dc per repeat)

Rnd. 56: 23 repeats (7 sc, 16 dc, and 1 v-st per repeat)

Rnd 57: 23 repeats (5 sc, 18 dc, and 1 v-st per repeat)

Rnd 58: 23 repeats (3 sc, 20 dc with ch betw per repeat)

Rnd 59: 23 repeats (1 sc, 12 dc with ch betw per repeat)

------------------------------------------------------

Bless you, Buggie4beads! This chart is what the pattern OUGHT to say but doesn't. And I am NOT crazy in round 46 — hooray! I so carefully counted in order to V-stitch in every 4 stitches and it didn't come out right. No one had said anything about fudging there so :think . Special thanks to Cozyhomelife and Delphi. Please tell her I appreciate it so much.

I'm printing this to put with my pattern. Thank you! :hug

I think this is a beautiful pattern, and I admire the tenacity of those who have crocheted it, because I don't think I ever will. :faint

Looking forward to seeing your triumphant finished BMC!

I am so glad to find this post and answers; I have been trying to make this with baby yarn and a size G hook to be the size of an afghan. I just could not get it to work and had put it away. You folks are wonderful. Now I will pull it out and be able to finish it. It will look great in my guest room.

Again, You folks are WONDERFUL !!!!

I'm sorry I didn't see this till tonight. Plus our computer is acting up a lot and I'm having trouble getting into and staying in the Internet.

Oh man, Brenda, I don't remember. On the BMC I have been cursed with more than my usual inattention and ripped on this thing so many times... I think Row 38 went OK, but instead of fiddling with those little chains I just put the correct number of DCs into the loops every time that direction came up in the any row. It looks fine to me and was a ton easier. One DC into the loop for each chain. I hope by now (since I am so late answering) that you have it worked out. Do you?

I am happy to report that I'm halfway around Row 59 — hooray, hooray, hooray! That is, IF I don't find some other crazy goof and have to frog again. Once I got past that enormous Row 49 it has gone easier. (I counted up the stitches in that row — you don't want to know.) Still, while I will be perfectly happy to start another thread project I need a break from the Between Meal, lovely as it is. Actually, my hands need a break from the thread altogether. I have some sewing which should take one or two days and that will help.

What color are you doing? Mine is Cebelia Blanc N° 10, which is a pearly white instead of a snow white.

You know, I think the only thing which has kept me from being bored to tears with this big doily is the fact that it changes stitch patterns so often. You are always learning what to do next and can look forward to finishing a section and feeling accomplishment for that little bit.

OK, my computer is acting up and I can't edit my last post.

Is Row 38 the last row of the dense zig zag pattern? If it is it came out right for me. I looked more carefully and it was fine. Hope you have it worked out by now.

wow wtg almost done :)

The math did not work for me at all. So I just did a sc DEC in certain parts. That made it work so far.

I am a tad worried of it not laying flat. But Now I am on rnd 43. I'll steam press it tomorrow and see if it will look ok.

I agree it's a Tad boring but, fun just the same. Doing mine in mint green and I think I want (think)to do one in a peach color. seen one done in a gray color and if I could get my hands on GRAY I would make one in that color.

Can't wait to see yours when done. Please post pictures.

Brenda

Ok I am hijacking your thread >>>>>>Help did I do something wrong my picots tend to want to curl over, should I rip it and redo I did steam it they just tend to want to flip up. It is for a Mothers Day present so I will rip it and redo if I only knew what I did wrong, I am still a relative newbie with picots and thread so maybe I do my picots backwards or something I slip stitch into the wrong thread ????????????????????:eek Scratching my head here... any help appreciated.

You have no idea how much better I feel to know some of you have questions about the BMC like I have. I'm certainly not ready to start another one but maybe there ought to be a CAL on this sometime. We would already have the wonderful chart that Brenda got for us!

goodie, you probably did fine with your picots. And you are NOT hijacking. The topic is BMC questions, isn't it? :yes

I hope to finish this afternoon or evening. My hands had to quit last night and rest.

• 7 months later...

Yes you will finish you just need a:cheer ..............

I hate to say ..........this .......but I was just contemplating a go at another one......................:eek

ducking now in case you throw something.......

really I have been learning how to knit and am making socks etc. and I need something completly different

Sadly, no. No chart for the BMC. Most of these older patterns are not charted and you have to read the lines of instructions — not my favorite way to go. I've made small charts for a few things before, projects which were very repititious like the Seraphina Shawl or a chart for a spider web shawl, but never tackled anything remotely like the BMC.

You could do one, DEMET! :D

ºbookº, how are you coming?

I looked your My Crochet Pic. everything are beautiful.

I also found similar center piece, published on Dec. Mag.no 95 page 28 .

The pattern is not same but has many similarities, it too has rich texture.But it is not as good looking as this one.

I quit making big center pieces from pictures when I started to collect those magic magazines, they have really good charts, some of them has mistakes but easy to fix.

Carla: If I can fix my language barrier (pattern writing in English) I will get there. :)

Demet

I have had so many errands to run and things to do this week, that I have only gotten a little further, but will be plugging away on it. I'll post picture when I finish.. but give me a few weeks, once you get to these rows, just one takes forever to work your way around, LOL!

• 7 months later...

Archived